1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Well if Lin is a RFA, and not have to play besides Harden. It's possible small market teams overpay him at 8.3mil to get him. If Parsons can get 15 mil....;)

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I still wonder how I have mine...

3. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

[​IMG]

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Can you point me to where he said that? I recall that he punted and never answered directly when asked whether he would have gone through with the Lin trade had he not thought Bosh was on the table.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The most interesting thing about that 2012 billboard is Royce White.

Also of note is the Marketing dept did not design a campaign that would include Kevin Martin, how highest scoring player. Did Martin make any billboard that year, before the trade? Maybe Morey warned them against it.

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I think it was too risky to chance, say lin plays again and does even worse than he was doing last season. He becomes untradable. just like parsons contract.

Trading lin now was a good decision.

7. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

this was funny lololol

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

As I stated earlier, you can't compare forwards with guards. Forwards are inherently more valuable. You can't teach size.

There's no way Lin gets 8.3mm/year if he's a RFA. I listed the contracts of recently signed guards. There are players better than Lin who will get paid less.

9. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Depressing times... I was on suicide watch that summer.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

This should be in the dish.

11. 22cents

22cents Member

Guys.

Lin is gone.

12. AvgJoe

I'm not comparing guards and forwards. I am not comparing 8.3mil vs. 15mil.

I am comparing what Parsons really is worth 10-12mil, to what he got as a RFA, 15 mil

Whether or not Lin gets 8.3mil depends on what's available on the market. Morey wouldn't offer him 8.3mil if he had other PGs at that time. He lost Gogi and he wanted someone to look good on the cover of the franchise. I would not be surprised if Lin gets 8.3 mil from a team like Milwaukee if they really needed a PG and wanted Lin as marketing figure. As I said, RFA is the key. Look at Hayword and Parsons, both being overpaid because they are RFA.

Anyways, I am perfectly fine with trading away Lin. I am bashing Morey for the gamble he lost on Bosh and cost us a 1st round pick for nothing.

13. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Breaking News on Last Week Tonight w/ John Oliver

14. SPBR

SPBR Member

People are probably going by this tweet
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Morey confirmed that the Jeremy Lin trade had nothing to do w/ Bosh. Laker offer was about to go off the table bc of moves they had to make.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/488673587222421505">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>Perhaps you have better sources or there was more nuance than expressible in a tweet.

1 person likes this.
  15. AvgJoe

I remember him defending this trade right after Bosh bolted and he said something along this line, if my memory serves me correctly. It's obvious he traded Lin to be able to sign Bosh, just was too confident and got fooled by Bosh.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

He did so many interviews that day (Monday, I think?) -- I think the one I'm thinking of was on 610, but I'm not 100% positive about that. I do know for sure he danced around whether he would have pulled the trigger on Lin if it hadn't been for Bosh... I recall that with certainty b/c it was the only thing I found really annoying about him that interview.

17. AvgJoe

Thanks. That's the one.

18. newAge_Rockets

Jeez, will Lin talk ever stop? Take your obsession with him somewhere else. If you have followed the Rockets at all recently you know they needed to make that trade to potentially nab the final piece to our puzzle in Bosh. It was a risk, but a risk worth taking.

And there's no way you can get rid of a 15 million salary player (8.3 cap hit) without giving up a pick with it. So we end up giving our 2015 pick that'll probably be mid 20s, while we gained a potential lottery pick in the next draft with the Asik trade.

Do your research OP.

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

tbh, Lakers forced Morey's hand in dealing Lin. Morey knew Bosh was likely to come, so he took the odds and traded Lin. He got burned, but there was nothing wrong with the decision at that time.

I doubt he trades Lin otherwise.

20. newAge_Rockets

Alright I was wrong about the getting rid of for Bosh thing, Morey just plain wanted RID of him.