1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgruntled Lowry feels it’s his time to move on

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BossHogg713, May 25, 2012.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Lou Williams? The combo guard? We better get a high draft pick with that.

I knew Goran's emergence last season would mess up things. Then again, maybe it is time for the Rockets to change things up.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I think Lowry is better too, but we can’t keep him while he’s at odds with McFail.

Let's just hope Morey can get us something really good in return (NOT Pau).

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this is Brooks all over again, what is with our point guards throwing tantrums?

and Lowry already got paid, he has no excuse!

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

On one hand, Morey and McHale sound like they are saying what's best for the team-- you don't want to say a guy is "not fitting in" even if you intend to trade him (or even explore trading him) because it doesn't do anything for his trade value.

On the other hand, even if Lowry is disgruntled, I'm not sure he has to be traded. A disgruntled (and apparently injured) Lowry played pretty well last year until the infection. There are plenty of players who are perpetually grumpy but still productive (Sam Cassell was not happy with his pay rate for most of his career). You don't have to be happy with everything to be a productive professional.

It's just kind of Lowry being Lowry. If, come next season, Lowry is still on the roster, Dragic is back and McHale is still the coach, I expect these guys to figure things out and be professionals even if none of them is happy about it. The goal of sports team is not to maximize everyone's happiness, it's to win games.

In the end, I'm sure the Rockets will look at trades involving Lowry, as they do with every player on the roster, but they are not going to make a trade just to make Lowry happy unless they think it's good for the team, too.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Show a commitment? Like refusing to include the guy in a trade that otherwise would have gotten the player your GM wanted? Or how about shortly returning you to the starting lineup after a major injury related absence when your replacement played at a higher clip than you did? Or how about multiple, repeated comments by your GM and coach that they want you here, despite your acting like a baby on the court, and now off it, and contributing greatly to the late game demise?

That kind of commitment?

You can be a bulldog competitor without being a head case and completely delusional. Kyle Lowry is a foundation piece to build around? Please.

6. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

If Goran can put those starting minutes, Lou can be a great fir for back up, and like you said he's a combo gaurd, so if Chase isnt working out he can go in the backcourt as well, etc. depending on the matchups and all.

and yeah a Pick would be great with that also haha. :cool:

its not just one thing letting us get away from a distraction,but also helping a player who has shown alot of love for Houston, Kyle would be thrilled to play for his hometeam so there wouldnt be any I guess you could say dis respect towards him, Im sure Doug Collins would love a nice player like Kyle to play along Iggy on that Philly Squad next year.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Did the TEAM play better with Lowry at point? Or Dragic?

If I am going to be completely honest, I feel in my heart that the TEAM was better with Dragic playing point. He really did play like a budding, more-aggressive Nash out there.

That's not to say I don't absolutely LOVE Lowry. I do.

But this is not about *A* player, this is about the best fit for the TEAM.

There is a reason so many teams are salivating over trying to sign Dragic.

If we lose Dragic, we get nothing for him, as he is UFA.

So, we keep Lowry, lose Dragic, and move on.

But, if we trade Lowry and KEEP Dragic, I believe we come out way ahead because we pick up value for Lowry, AND keep the better fit for our team's PG.

As much as I hate to see Lowry go, I agree with Clutch, that is the play to make.

It doesn't help that teams are now going to lowball us for Lowry, but even a relatively lowball offer for KL is better than the zero we get for losing Goran.

Burn up those phone lines DM, before Lowry totally runs his value into the dirt!

8. Carl Herrera

What if they just tell Lowry "We'll look to move you, but meanwhile, you are coming off the bench, though we'll still play you plenty of minutes like James Harden." He'd be mad as hell, but will he play good basketball? He has 2 more years left under contract and playing poorly or throwing a fit won't help him land a significant deal when he becomes a free agent.

That said, I'm think what they'll do is end up agreeing to trade him to the Lakers for Gasol (they'll try for Howard first, probably, but there's plenty of competition for Howard). Kobe will like playing with Lowry. Their personalities are a fit (Kobe's kind of a Philly guy, too, no?) and Lowry's game has everything they need from the PG position.

#28 Carl Herrera, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  9. Pringles

Pringles Member

Quick question.

Would it not be possible to do a sign and trade to a team that is over the cap?

For example (just a scenario): Resigned Dragic to Lakers for whatever.

10. ThaShark316_28

[​IMG] That's my point guard.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'd be much more surprised if he was content about the ordeal. Everyone on the rockets has to watch their back because it's going to be open season on our roster. No one is 100% safe. And I don't see how his value went down with that statement.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hello #6 and #11 picks!!!;)

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those are FO issues..... You notice that is going to affect future players also.
    Goran has another mindset partly because he is a Euro, but you can't say we are only playing Euros from now on.

Darn...... Rockets missing the playoffs and now this.... well hopefully we can rebuild from scratch

14. Carl Herrera

I don't think any of this stuff is news to folks who work for NBA teams.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wow. Great hire, Daryl and Leslie.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

But quite honestly, given Lowry's production he's actually undepaid for what he gives (great hustle, surprisingly high rebounding from the PG spot, can get you 15 pts and 6-7 assists on 7 million a year). I think Morey would hate to trade Lowry, simply because in terms of value for money he's much better value than Dragic, who will be overpaid.

Solution? Get rid of Mchale!

17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

It's one thing to not be content with the whole Dragic situation but its a whole different issue if he really feels that he can't coexist with the coach. Lowry sure likes to complain on and off the court though. I like Kyle's game and support him because he is a Rocket but his over the top flopping antics and constant whining on the court is embarrassing to watch sometimes, I've always wondered how opposing players view him. He would fit right in with the LA Clippers.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This whole fiasco with giving PT to nearly everyone except some rookies
    and not committing to any players....

this is the downside... it is going to happen again..... until you get your superstar..... that is the first thing of stability

Wished Lowry was a superstar which he is not, so he is going to be expendable somehow......

19. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

Here's a great solution:

Fire Kevin McHale; Hire a coach with actual coaching skills.

20. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Burning bridges - the only thing the Houston Rockets are elite at.