1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussed: Jonny Flynn to Cavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dingus, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dingus

dingus Member

Via Marc Stein http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/stor...uire-pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers-sources-say

I'm sure Flynn's -20 did not help matters. If only getting rid of him were that easy...

(Of course this would all but end pursuit of Gasol, but it seems that flame is but a mere flicker at this point anyway)

2. King901

King901 Member

Late 1st rounder for Flynn and cash....Pull the trigger and get it done.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We will be lucky if we get a 3rd rounder for Flynn at this point

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Late first rounder? Why bother?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's better than nothing and Flynn is < nothing.

6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It is better to get something then to cut him. I don't care he is traded for the 60th pick in the draft

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'd do it

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think Morey is willing to trade Flynn and Squid for a lunch date.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I would take it without asking questions and nab the best Euro I could find.

If you can turn Flynn (not being used) into a first rounder, you're fortunate. It also could help deflect criticism of cutting Jeremy Lin. They kept Flynn because he was guaranteed... if you can turn him into something that may help your future, then you can always turn to that as, "Yeah, but we got Player X by not cutting Flynn."

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Bench him if you can. If Cleveland scouts see him play, they will pull out of this rape of a deal.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hold on, so we were gonna give up Flynn and future draft considerations?

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I cringe at the thought of Flynn stepping on a court

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Deep draft class. Rockets good at drafting.

Also the way I read it, it's Flynn and a future pick (I'm guessing some kind of protected 1st) for one of the Lakers 2012 1st's.
    Could be a second rounder, as well, obviously, but I don't think you're getting a 1st in the twenties for Flynn and a future 2nd rounder.

Either way I'm guessing that the Rockets really like somebody they project to be available in the twenties in this year's draft.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Houston facilitators :p

2 people like this.
  15. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well, yeah, but who knows what those draft considerations talked about were.

Could be a lottery protected 1st (IMO unlikely), could be a top-20-ish protected 1st (most likely) or a future 2nd rounder (unlikely).

16. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Truth.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It didn't say future draft consideration, just "future considerations". I'm thinking this just means cash.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Eh, my guess is that it was either the 2012 MIN second rounder or perhaps as little as the Rockets' own 2014 second rounder.

If it's the MIN pick, then using Flynn to essentially jump up about 15-20 spots in the draft is an absolute STEAL for a guy who'd likely be bought out next week.

As far as the Rockets' use for a late first rounder, I think it would be useful to either trade up, trade back, trade for future picks or--in the event that someone on the Rockets' draft board unexpectedly falls pretty far--THEN to actually use on a player.

#10 (NYK pick), #24 (LAL pick) and Budinger? I wonder what that package could get the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure, if you get something for him, fine. But, when I come here hoping to see a "BREAKING: Rockets in potential 3-way trade for Dwight Howard" and instead all I can find is "Flynn for late first-rounder deal on life support" it's a little disappointing.

In other words, SPLASH!

Until Morey is ready to announce Howard or Williams or even Bogut, he should just keep his head down. I have no patience left for his accumulation of petty assets that turn to lead before we can get anything worthwhile for them. Wake me up when we're a powerhouse again.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Clutch, unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are any first round-worth Euros. Hence, trade back.

I know it's blasphemy to shower any sort of praise on David Kahn, but I actually liked what he did in the 2011 Draft with his #20 pick. He didn't have much need for more young players, so he moved back from #20 to #23 to #29? to #43?, picking up multiple future second round picks and wads of cash. (Of course, Les doesn't quite need the cash as bad as Glen Taylor might want it, but you get the picture.) If the Rockets can move up and get future picks, they could still land a nice Euro stash player in the second round.

As a worst case scenario, the Rockets could turn their 3rd string PG and a mid-second rounder into a high second rounder, future picks and cash.

Not too shabby.