1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Discount] Would proven NBA talent actually do this for Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Feb 4, 2014.

1. jocar

jocar Member

Didn't AB and Garcia do something similar?

2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Your right on both accounts, both are hold overs from last year, but they both took pay cuts for different reasons.

Both came from Sacramento which generally has to overpay their players for the simple fact that it's frickin Sacramento! Of course both wanted to stay here after having enjoyed the chemistry of the team, and both having productive rolls in Houston, and eventually both took pay cuts to stay with the Rockets.

Garcia is a 9yr , 33yr old vet who was going to take a pay cut regardless of where he played this year. He was making 5.8mill a year on his previous contract and his scoring was/is at a career low, averaging 5pts the last two seasons. He might of made a little more than the 1.3mill he's making this year somewhere else, but nowhere close to the 5.8mill he was making before. Oh did I mention he's made over 30mill in his career. He's old with financial stability, a prime suspect to take a pay cut while chasing a ring.

Brooks is an 8yr, 28 yr old vet who in my opinion might of gotten a contract closer to what he was making in his previous contract. He was coming off a 2yr deal where he was making 3.3mill a year and was averaging 7pts . He's still in his prime of his career and his contract was a little more cap friendly. He's only made a little over 13mill in his career which is nowhere close to what Garcia has made. He's here because he really wants to be hear!...:)

#42 BamBam, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

^Ginobli really fked up a potential payday for Brooks. Could've easily seen him getting $5-6m per year if he stayed healthy..

4. BamBam

Thanks for bringing Ginobili up, except for the Finals banner this never gets old...:grin:

[​IMG]

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Agreed, I've been saying this for years that Houston is a top 5 nba city for players. Many live here in the offseason or do a lot of training down here. Only top notch superstars that don't come to Houston in the summer that I know of is Kobe Lerbon and Mello and even the first two have trained with dream down here. They players love Houston look at all the quotes from allstar last yr? They all had a blast out here.

Back to the other topic. If your a elite pf or sf (love, Aldridge, Mello) I'm sure that all those players would pick to play in Houston over any place right now. Great city and the team is built around two superstars that our tailor made to get guys like them open mid range and 3 point shots. Than at the exact shot all 3 of those superstars like to take.

Personally I want Aldridge as I think he has the smaller ego and would take a back seat to harden and Howard and embrace the big 3 concept. He plays great defense something the other two don't do well and can blk shots and rebound at a very high rate. This type of move would surely make us the favorite out west and maybe even the whole league.

The rockets out a lot closer to a ring then th medie wants to concede. IMO the rockets as of today inconsistent and all our the 3rd best team out west behind the okc thunder and right on the heels of the clippers but bit quite their yet. The great thing about us unlike the clippers is we have young wild card player who will continue to get better. Plus the two positions we excel at in center and sg our a big weakness on both those teams.

The rockets have something know team has in the nba and that's a guard/elite center defender who can both drop 30 anytime they want. Thats a very big luxury to have that the NBA hasn't seen since Shaq/Kobe and to a lesser extent Yao/Mac. As rockets fans I know you rennet how good Mac and Yao were when they played together well IMO this duo we have now has a chance to be much better defensively and equal offensively or close to it.

6. Grigori

Grigori Member

I think we are like 9th now as of last count. San Antonio and Dallas both have us beat.

7. BamBam

That makes sense, I noticed the Cowboys Chearleaders a little more heftier this year...:eek:

[​IMG]

8. rocketblood713

I have a feeling Chandler wont take a paycut and will be gone :(

9. BamBam

Why would Parsons take a pay cut? He's already severely underpaid as it is, and if the Rockets try to fleece him this is not going to end well, I'm pretty sure of that.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Clearly, you didn't see the campaigning and campaigning by Jalen Rose on Houston. NBA players love cumming (<----intentional) to Houston.

11. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

champagne and campaigning