1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Discount] Would proven NBA talent actually do this for Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Feb 4, 2014.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

If a discount = one or two million less than the absolute max like Lebron and Bosh took, then I think there are stars currently playing on lottery teams that would it if they thought they would be the favorites to win it all. Of course if they thought they had close to the same chance with some one who can pay them more, they go there. No star who isn't at the end of their career is taking a mid-level or lower offer though.

People seem to forget that when Morey says we need a 3rd star to realistically win it all, he mentions that it is possible that Parsons or Jones or someone else on the team becomes that.

You can't really evaluate if a trade for a 3rd star makes sense without knowing the exact details of the trade. The best chance for us to get a good deal on a 3rd star is for a star to force their way out of where ever and have us on the top of their very short list of preferred destinations, with the other team forced to trade him or lose him for nothing as a free agent.

2. joesr

joesr Member

don't forget top 3 in obesity!

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That might be so, but would they want to Houston at a discount? I think that narrows the field from LOTS to maybe A COUPLE, don't you think?

4. BamBam

My question is not would the stars take a pay cut, but rather would the complimentary players take a pay cut? That 1-2 mill that you referred to is a huge difference if you're only getting paid 3-5 mill?

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Houston consistently lands big name players and has for a long time. I'm not concerned at all. Miami has people coming for lebron but that wasn't always the case. LA is probably the only franchise that lands more big name players or even role players than Houston.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Name me one NBA player that doesn't like a big booty???

7. BamBam

I'm not disputing that at all, if you offer a player what his going rate is we have a better chance than most of acquiring that player, but what if you offer him LESS than what his going rate is? Would that player take a pay cut to play along side Harden/Howard/Star?...to play in Houston?

I personally think that this would only be acceptable to old players who are trying for a ring before they retire. I also think that things would be different if we already had a championship with this team under our belt. I think THEN perhaps we might receive more interest in playing here even with a pay cut

8. BamBam

LOL.... I was waiting to here how you would turn a negative into a positive..:grin:

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We don't need a third star to give a discount. You can fit 3 stars and complementary players on a payroll after Lin and Asik go.

15/16 season:

Howard $22.4m
    Harden 15.7m
    3rd Star ~15m
    Starter 5m
    Starer 5m
    Backup 2m
    Backup 2m
    Backup 2m
    Others 5m
    Total ~ $75m

That's about where the luxury tax line is. We could even sprinkle in another $10m or so and I'd still be cool with it.

10. dobro1229

LOL. That one was setup nicely.

Seriously though, I grew up in Houston, but have traveled and lived all over the US since graduating college with my job. I'll contest pretty strongly that even though I wanted to get out ASAP as a youngster who thought H-Town sucked back then.... Houston isn't that bad at all.... especially with all the improvements to the downtown, and areas inside the loop.

Its hot & muggy in the Summer, its ghetto outside the loop until you get to the burbs, the traffic is ridiculous, and its the beating heart of the reddest red state in the country, but there are much, much worse places to live in the country, and its still better than most.

Its not for everyone but it does have a ton of appeal for professional athletes. You dont think so go ask any high end real estate agent that works in the Sugar Land/ Missouri City area about this appeal.

11. UEAbran

UEAbran New Member

prolly not discounts on top talent but mid range talent could go for it.

12. dobro1229

This all depends on what people's definition of a "Star" is. 15 million dollars.... In this range you are either getting -

-A player that was signed to a max deal early in his career before annual raises (like Harden, Eric Gordon, etc.)
    -A well known career role player (Luol Deng type, or a center like Chandler/Noah), or
    -You are getting an over the hill superstar who is taking a pay cut on the back end of their career (think Garnett and Duncan a couple years back. Dirk next year will fit in this category).

Also you forgot to mention Chandler Parsons who will either be re-signed this Summer or will be commanding a big pay day in UFA. Sure the Rockets could let him walk to sign someone in that 15 million dollar range, but its unlikely given what Parsons means to this team.

-However I do agree that the first order of action will be to clear out the contracts of Lin & Asik ASAP or plan on letting them walk in Free Agency if this really is the real priority of the FO. Their salaries are needed to either pursue a 3rd core player, and/or resign Parsons any way you look at it.

Right now I would contest that the Rockets cannot afford to have a true superstar player on a super-max contract WITHOUT giving up Parsons long term or going deep into the lux tax. However they absolutely have the ability to bring in another key impact player in that 10 to 15 million dollar range AND extend Parsons well beyond this season.

They might have to go a little over the luxury tax to keep Parsons but if he's really that important and its not just lip service from Les & Morey, he should be well worth it.... He's probably just not worth it if it means him or a true superstar like Kevin Love who will ABSOLUTELY be on a TRUE max contract.

13. Grigori

Grigori Member

I don't know about another star, but I think Deke type discount/help may very well be possible.

14. BamBam

I hear ya brah, I wasn't born in Houston, but I've been living here for the past 40yrs and I have no plans of leaving any time soon! It's good to hear people like yourself, who stand up for this great city! If we could only find a way to make a HUGE AC UNIT to cool down the entire city during the summer...:grin:

(P.S) You really should ask Morey for a job...:eek:

15. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Knicks are in a tail spin right now. Time to pounce.

Rockets Send - Asik, Lin, Parsons, Smith, DMo, rights to LLull, 2014 1st Rd Pick, 2014 2nd Rd Pick
    Rockets Receive - Melo, Shump and Aldrich

Our Roster will be
    PG-beverley
    SG-Harden
    SF-Melo
    PF-TJones
    C-Dwight

Bench - Shump, Casspi, Brooks, Garcia, Covington, Canaan, Brewer, Aldrich

This would send us to the WCF right away.

16. Grigori

Grigori Member

Melo will have trouble co-existing with Harden.

I mean, the dude couldn't even co-exist with Lin.

17. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Somehow I think Richard Jefferson and Rashard Lewis will be signing the vet min next season with the rox.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rashard Lewis is a poor man's Parsons.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

No parsons is a poor man parsons, the man only makes 900k

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has to be a player that wants to settle down in Houston and/or who probably won't command all-star salary and just wants to win in their remaining years in the league.