1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Discount] Would proven NBA talent actually do this for Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Feb 4, 2014.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

As our never ending search for that elusive third star continues, I've noticed that one thing keeps coming up in many threads. The idea that if we were to sign another star to pair with Harden/Howard we would automatically start receiving player discounts to come play for the Rockets. Keep in mind that in order to trade for such a player we would more than likely have to give up a substantial amount in players and/or picks. I know Morey has a good track record with second round picks, and min vet signings, but how many more times can he continue to get rabbits out of hat?

I understand that players want to win, and playing with Harden/Howard/Star would give them a legitimate chance at a tittle, but I also know that most players don't have very long careers in the NBA, so in the majority of the cases, players are reluctant to pass up any money that might be available elsewhere. The only scenario where I can see a player pass up money, is if the player is an old geezer who is past his prime, and wants one last chance at a ring

Also, as much as I love Houston, it is not a NY,LA,Chicago or Miami, cities that players seem to always prefer playing in IF giving the opportunity. I understand the fascination of playing with Lebron (best player in the NBA) and his sidekicks IN Miami (beautiful beach and great nightlife), but I'm not sure that that same fascination will be there to play with Harden/Howard/Star at a DISCOUNT in HOUSTON...:(

That's my take, what do you think, will players take a discount to play for the Rockets in Houston?

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Agree with what you said but there are other ways to get a star without dumping salary. The same way we got Harden. Morey would probably need to acquire another first round pick and include a TJones and maybe even Parsons but if that gets Aldridge or Love. Of course the only reason any team would trade a star for any two good players is because that star wants to leave anyway and the team wants something rather than nothing for him.

You don't have to gut the franchise to do it and you still have your MLE money to include 1 or 2 additions to fill out the roster. I am not saying I would want to do a deal like that. I think we are not that far off from competing for a championship. But for the right star I would certainly consider it.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Why are so many fans infatuated with acquiring another star. Are we not seeing Chandler Parsons game improve each year , dude is averaging 17 points a game , plays solid defense and does all the intangible things. T. Jones game has gotten better and this is his 2nd year. J Lin game is pretty darn good as well.
    We don't need another Superstar or Star to win the NBA championship. All we need to do is build around our core and let these players gain the some experience together.

4. BamBam

I agree with you that we are not that far off from competing for a championship, I just hope Morey is able to do EXACTLY what you just mentioned, and not have to sacrifice half our team in a trade in order to get that third star! I'm really nervous about trading at this point, because we have some very good young talent on our team! Young talent that is under contract, and giving some time to grow together, I think THIS team can become something special!

5. BamBam

I get what your saying, and I agree with you, BUT it's actually Morey that's infatuated with acquiring a third star! I just hope he doesn't gut this team in order to get his wish!...:(

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Only older players, on the downhill side of their careers would consider giving discount to play for a contender.

You'll have to pick the right Discount Goods to fit one of your needs well IMMEDIATELY. Old players won't worth much if they can't help you right away.

1 person likes this.
  7. BamBam

"Discount Goods Player"...doesn't sound very attractive...:(

8. TheJet

TheJet Member

I'm actually in favor of this as well. This is the more traditional, old school method of building. Maybe it's because of the nostalgia that I prefer it. Keeping the core guys. Rooting for the same players not just the laundry. As much fun as it can be to watch I didn't care much for the recent trend of the super team.

Unless of course it happens to us, then I'm all for it :grin:.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

In order for him to do so pimp he will have to gut the team. To acquire Love and/or LMA will cost us somewhere between 15-20 a year. Morey needs to realize that we don't need a 3rd star. Lol

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Let me just chuck some names that could potentially fill this role the op is referring to who are becoming FA in 2014

Paul peirce
    Granger
    Ray Allen
    AK47
    Marion
    Gasol
    Carter
    Caron butler
    Amare stodemire
    Battier
    Richard jefferson

Source: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency_2014.htm

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Didn't Garcia take a discount to play in Houston?

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I agree with this. Lin is a good scorer/6th man and solid rottional player. Our weakest link is our bench. If we could ever get Asik healthy and on board, and sign a 3/D type of wing I think we would be set. Of course it would take them a year or two to gel. Morey needs to do much like Rick Smith did with the Texans. He needs to build his team to beat OKC. He needs rebounding and wing defense. He needs a better shooter at the 4 or T Jones needs to improve his shooting. That'll do it in my opinion.

13. BamBam

You are kind of making my point, a 33yr old journeyman who sees his career coming to an end, and wants to play for a ring. He's playing for the vet minimum and at the moment is playing like that's exactly what he's worth.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think the guy most likely to give a bit of a discount is Shane Battier. He's someone I'll be keeping my eye on. Ever since Clutch mentioned (in an article or post, I don't remember) that he wouldn't be surprised to see Battier come back to Houston, I've had it on my mind. It makes sense.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Dwight Howard took a pretty big discount(Additional guaranteed year+) to play in Houston so I'd say yes.

and Yes Harden and Howard might be the most preferable big two for any superstar level player to want to play with-

-Dwight - guaranteed to erase mistakes on defense. Takes heat in media for you. Ability to play inside out for open jumpers.
    -Harden- Great scoring guard who actually passes the ball. Easy to get along with.

and don't forget Parsons - Does Dwight even come to Houston without Parsons' "Charm" luring him here to town??

As for the city of Houston-

-no state tax
    -can have a mansion and huge property just 30 minutes from downtown at a low cost
    -great nightlife
    -CST for ease of travel during season
    -warm city in winter
    -lovely ladies
    -great food

I think the main question should be - "Why WOULDN'T ANY PLAYER WANT TO COME PLAY IN HOUSTON RIGHT NOW"???

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't think CP25 or TJones are going to be at a star level in the next year or two. I think in time they could be great foundational pieces, but they aren't there yet.

We do need a third star. Teams like the Pistons of '05 rarely win championships, and even during the Tracy and Yao years it was quite evident a 3rd star could have pushed us to the next level. That's why we tried out Stromile Swift, brought back SF3, and did all that stuff. If the NBA wasn't an 82 game schedule I might agree with you and think we only need the team we have, but look at how the injury bug has bitten us this year. A 3rd star gives us the ability to escape those trap games and overall play fewer minutes for our primary players like Howard and Harden. As constructed this rocket team is pretty damn good, but in order to push it to the next level I'm leaning toward the idea that we need 1 more piece.

17. BamBam

Dang brah, IF you don't work for the Rockets you should! You almost got me to take a paycut...;)

As far as Howard taking a pay cut, well we all know that his situation in LA was awful, and he couldn't wait to get out, also there were only a handful of places that could take on a contract of that magnitude, and we happen to have the best package (Parsons..:grin:) out of all of them!

(P.S) I do agree with everything about Houston, I just hope the players agree also.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Like Easy said above, Harden did not take a discount to stay at OKC with Durant and Westbrook.

just saying

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

LOTS of players have requested to play for houston, big name player. I think houston is above Chicago on your "list"