1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disc Golf

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rocket1, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Coming into town this weekend and playing in Kingwood.

Not sure how anyone can make fun of the game... It's good exercise, fun, and free. Not to mention you can usually carry a 6-pack with you...

To those who want to play in Austin, try Circle C as DD said as well as Mary Searight. Both are excellent courses and very well maintained.

2. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Wells Branch is an excellent course to learn on. It is hot out there, though...I go between noon and 3 every other day or so and I'm almost always alone.

--Main tees are very short (and they just started installing new concrete!).
    --Alternate tees are well placed, IMO, and provide a slightly longer hole.
    --Course is very well maintained (although I typically pick up an average of 2 pieces of trash per round). I've seen people litter LITERALLY feet away from a garbage can. Hate that crap. :mad:
    --There's also a GIGANTIC open field off to the left of first few holes, perfect for practicing your throws.

Not sure what discs you've got but I'd highly recommend a Champion Valkyrie and then a Beast and THEN maybe a Wraith as your drives progress. The Valkyries are very easy to control.
    That and get yourself a decent midrange (Buzzz Elite Z or Champion Roc) and maybe a putter (you can also just use the mid) and you've got yourself a nice beginner bag.

Hope to see you out there!

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Digging up this old thread.

Over Christmas in Houston, my brother invited me to go play with him, and because of a knee injury I actually ended up switching hands and throwing left handed. (I'm a natural lefty, but for some reason I've always thrown frisbees right handed) It made a huge difference in the power I was able to get, and I was encouraged enough that I decided to legitimately learn how to throw the right way instead of just messing around.

Man, there's a lot more to this than I thought.

It's pretty addictive, though. There's something about a new, challenging skill that keeps you coming back.

Anyway, if anyone up in North Austin/Williamson County wants to get together sometime, let me know. Still a novice, but starting to get the basics down.

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Still work in the same place. Ironically I never actually went over to play at Wells Branch until this month. I guess it's undergoing a redesign, but it's currently my favorite course. (Brushy Creek is crazy hard, most of the other ones I've played are pretty much wide open... although I want to try out Cat Hollow and Williamson County Park)

My friends from work and I are going there almost every day now to play during lunch.

But yeah, right now I'm using primarily a Buzzz (Z plasic, 166) and a Super Soft Wizard putter. (175)

I have a bunch of other stuff, but I use it just to mess around. I'm trying not to mess with drivers too much right now, but I do have a couple of DX Leopards (150) and a Champion Eagle that I can throw pretty well with.

5. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

6. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Death bump - seems this “fad” exploded during the pandemic. I play the south Austin courses mostly (mMS and CC) and Roy G/Zilker on occasion. Love it