1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Dirty Sports) LeBron would dominate the 80's and 90's

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JMAD21, May 11, 2018.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh is that right? Who did Shaq dominate? Ancient Dikebme Mutombo, Todd MacChollch, old Rik Smits? Wilt will be Ian Mahimi against the likes of soft ass jump shooting Centers of today?

Larry Bird played PF his entire college career and first 4 years in the NBA. He out rebounded Parisdh and McHale as a SF and nearly out rebounded prime Moses Malone in the Finals. He's just under 6'10 in shoes. He routinely beat Pippen, Nique, Worthy etc. He can't play stretch 4 today and pass better and have a higher IQ than any forward today not named LeBron?

You continue to show your ignorance by calling their competition "shitty" while arguing your subjective opinion as "facts." Go ahead and be amazed at your GOAT as he beats up on a garbage Eastern Conference and dominates the likes of CJ Miles and Lance Stephenson and be amazed as the incredible Marcus Morris gets dominated in this next round. Incredible competition. Bird would be Joe Ingles at best. FACTS!

Jordan would be nothing without Gatorade and Nike commercials and Looney Tunes! Facts!

lw17 likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know the new generation always thinks everything now is better
    In some cases like technology yes

Personally Clutchfans was the best during the pure years
    Where people came here to avoid the media like the hot take shows

I also find extremely weird how people who are older meaning they seen everything are being fed YouTube videos of stuff they already saw

It’s like if a television preacher was telling Moses about god
    Moses would be like yo dawg I talked to him
    I don’t need a book

lw17 likes this.
  3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

You're seriously dumb!

1. Bird out rebounding Parish, McHale, and almost Moses isn't great for your argument...

2. How about you don't pick and choose players that guys had to go through so that it fits your bullshit narrative. You can't point out the best players on the teams that Bird played and then only talk about role players for the teams LeBron beats. LeBron dominated Paul Pierce, Paul George, DeRozen, great defender Luol Deng. Not to mention dominating in every finals match up against anyone he has played (even in the losses). MJ was never guarded by someone at Kawhi or Iggy's level. Thats just individually. Team defense is way harder now due to illegal defense in the 90's. His teams have dominated other good teams from the east. The east isn't as bad as everyone thinks, LeBron just dominates it like we have never seen before.

3. Can you read? I didn't say Bird would be Joe Ingles "at best," I said he would be a better version of Joe Ingles. I happen to really like Ingles as a player, I think it's quite a compliment.

4. Can you read?I never said MJ would be nothing without Gatorade and Nike. I said the brilliant marketing by the NBA has helped create and untouchable view of MJ by his fans. The first time he retired, they put at statue outside the Bulls arena and the engraving on it says "Greatest of all time." This is when he only had 3 titles. He was nowhere near the accomplishments of guys like Russell, Kareem, Magic or Bird. So why was he already considered the greatest by basically everyone? Because when you watch him play, and look at his numbers in comparison to his competition (which was, at the time, the toughest competition ever) it was easy to see that he was better at basketball than anyone had ever seen. That remained true until about 2 years ago when LeBron took out the most lethal basketball team we have ever seen. When I watch LeBron play, I can without question say that he's better at basketball than anyone I have ever seen, he just needed more team success to be validated. And I have watched more than just youtube clips of MJ, just the other day I re-watched the Bulls vs Sonics series because I love watching MJ play, and I don't have kids so I have the time to watch a ton of basketball. MJ was my idol growing up, I cried when he retired. When the LeBron argument first started I was the guy saying he'd never pass MJ. There just comes a point where you can't deny it anymore. If you would just let go of your bias like I did, you'll see it too.

#63 JMAD21, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Tell me whats different about watching it live than watching an entire replay of the game?

You're probably not a DVR guy are you? ****, I honestly think you might be my Grandfather!

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Lol again same thing

I was there when they created dvr

You can’t school a 99er on technology

You are on OUR SITE

What’s next ? You going to tell us about AOL?

lw17 likes this.
  6. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Answer my question. What about watching a game live is different than watching an entire replay of the game? I would argue that re watching is more valuable because you have the full context.

Or would you like to argue that history never shows us more about the past than we knew at the time, grandpa?

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Have you seen a new movie with someone who's already seen the movie?

You don't question why that person already knows what happens.

This is what you are doing.

All of these people like @Ceasar
    and the 99ers

we've seen this movie, you can't tell us what you think is right because we already know

lw17 and Caesar like this.
  8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Wrong. Ive seen the movie as well. I just saw it after you did and with historical perspective.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

For example, when I first started watching replays of MJ, I expected to see the most physical style of basketball ever trying to stop him. In stead I saw Craig Ehlo, short Joe Dumars, short Gary Payton (still very good though). Mad Max did better than anyone on him in my opinion, but he would have no shot against LeBron.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

you've never seen the movie that's the NBA
    you've only seen the trailers

and you don't pay attention cause you are in the fortnite lobby

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Wrong.

Literally every assumption you have made about me is wrong. From implying I haven't seen the Championship trophies in person to saying I didnt watch these guys play. From implying I listen to Post Malone to saying I play fortinte. Ive literally never played fortnite, I don't really play video games. I coach basketball, and when I do have free time I watch basketball.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ah. So i can't pick and choose the fact that Bird faced DR J, Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman, Dominique Wilkins, Paul Pressy that he routinely faced in his playoff matchups?

What you're saying is that i can't nit pick LeBron's shitty competition, and only mention the one good guy he'll face an entire playoff run - KD...who put up what? 35 on 55% on LeBron and won FMVP including a major dagger pull up on him? That's what you're saying. LeBron dominated mid 30s Paul Pierce. Cool. 40 year old MJ had no problem with prime Pierce. DeRozan plays SG. Paul George was 22 and 23 years old when LeBron faced Paul George, and the last time when the Pacers were a shitty 42 win team and PG wanted out. 32 year old FMVP Iggy. Lol..Deng. Well, easier to name role players fresh on our minds compared to 30-40 years ago. 22 year old Kawhi Leonard. No where near Pippens athleticism or Rodman's combined defensive/antagonizing defense, but he's awesome. At 22? Let's just say LeBron helped fast track his stardom.

Would it help if i nit picked old Marion, Jason Terry and JJ Barrea?

The East is as bad as everyone has known for the past 19-20 years. Only LeBron fans choose to dismiss it.

No. It's not a compliment. It's completely disrespectful to a top 10 player of all time who carried a garbage little college to the National Championship by himself against a power house and then turned a 20 win Celtics team into a 60 win ECF team as a rookie-before McHale or Parish were there with himself as the only addition. He won a championship by his 2nd year. He won 3 MVP's. 2 FMVP's. (Maxwell got the first even though Birds stats were 15/15/7/2-shot uncharacteristically poor though) and won 3 rings and went to 5 NBA Finals in what? 9 full NBA seasons before ruining his back and turning into Gimp Broke Back Bird for a few years before retiring? Magic, 5 MVPs, 5 rings, 9 trips in what? 12 NBA seasons? Jordan 6 MVPs, 6 rings with 6 FMVPs in 11 NBA Seasons (he played only 18 games his 2nd season due to broken foot and only 17 games when he came back for retirement-played in the playoffs both seasons but easy to say it would be different if he was in game shape the full season)

Look. Your boy LeBron is the Kareem of non big men. His greatest argument is longevity. You're impressed by his 8 NBA Finals trips in 15 seasons. But, people have seen this kind of dominance in much less games than LeBron has had. You dismiss the lack of competition he had in order to just reach the Finals and then tout how mighty his Finals opponents were compared to MJ's to make excuses for his Finals record. Well. You can't have both pal. He ditched Cleveland for Wade who won a ring already and Bosh. Promised not 4, not 5, not 6. He was right. Could barely, and luckily thanks to Ray win 2. Had to ditch them as they got older and sold you a story about how he was coming home for the good of his city, when in reality he was doing the very same mercenary for hire move he did by going to Miami in the first place. His victory against GS being down 1-3 is his greatest triumph and will be the greatest image of his legacy. But we will continue to pretend he did it on his own and Kyrie didn't average almost 30ppg and hit the dagger while LeBron stood in the corner completely out of the play and we'll go on and say how he beat a 73 win team. That same 73 win team was down 1-3 to OKC. They lost 9 games that playoff run.
    If the 72 win Bulls had their starting Center out with injury, Rodman suspended a game, and their 6th man Kukoc hobbled by injuries and MJ playing like crap bc he had weak ass baby ankles, it's not really the 72 win Bulls anymore, is it?

Who cares about a statue? Where is it? Who put it up? Yeah. People from Chicago IN Chicago. Cleveland people can erect a monument to LeBron in front of their stadium and put a plaque that says GOAT on it all the same. We can do the same with Hakeem if he let us-but he wont even let us use his face because of his religion. Who cares about a statue? 2 Three Peats speaks for itself. With many truly believing if he didn't retire twice, he'd have won 9 in a row. (94 and 95 and 99). Of course Houston and Spurs fans and Magic fans would have something to say about that, but many believe it and have no reason to doubt it. I sure as **** wouldn't have bet against it even if i do think the 95 Rockets would have beat them if they could have even made it past Orlando front line without a true PF. 99 was a short lockout season. They could have been fresh. Even the Jazz were still on another 60 win pace. I'm not taking the Spurs over the Bulls in 99. That's Bill Russell level in the modern era, not against an 8 team league with 8 HOF teammates. On top of it, he's the GOAT scorer while being one of the GOAT perimeter defenders. Lebron is better at rebounding and assists and it's not like some crazy gap either despite MJ playing in the triangle offense for over half of his career and in the slow down grueling paced 90s. LeBron will not be the only one to surpass MJ, Magic and Bird and many others of the past in career totals. It will be the new norm. Guys playing 20 years will be normal today and in the future. Let's see if Westbrook keeps up a pace of over 25-30ppg with 8-10 reb and assists for another 6 more years...same with Harden, will they then be better than MJ too or will they have to pull a b**** move like LeBron and KD and join other superstars to get their rings the easy way to be in the conversation?

The whole Gatorade, brilliant marketing thing...you're just coming across as pushing Jordan as some fraud as if his dominance and raw and advanced stats in such a short amount of time don't speak for themselves. As if his skill level, athleticism, artistry and determination was all just a sham and were all brainwashed idiots. It created someone who can't be touched? Yet your very same views of LeBron could be argued as the very same. Pretending he didn't pull the most b**** moves of all time TWICE before KD did. Did you tear up when you first saw the "I'M COMING HOME" marketing? Making excuses for him left and right. Stats totals is all that matters-Finals are a team accomplishment! Career totals don't make a GOAT. It angers you so that i happened to watch both and prefer Michael? It angers you so that people wont ride with your guy over the guy you didn't watch and experience? Trust me, i'm used to this. I get it. He's your guy. I've gone through this with Kobe fans. They're hard to find now-a-days. Even remember that one guy up above saying Curry was GOAT during his incredible season. People in the media, and fans especially are prisoners of the moment. Everyone wants to jump the gun. At least your boy has put a hell of a case together for himself and is still going. To me personally? He's had long enough. He's played more games and he's had the luxury of not facing any truly great teams in the East or HOF opponents in their prime in the East.
    Like i said. To me, Career totals don't make a GOAT, but if that's what you need, i guess it's MJ's fault for leaving that topic open to discussion by retiring twice and i guess he can't do anything about breaking his foot in 86. It wasn't done, but people have calculated predictions on if MJ didn't retire twice(leaving in his missed 2nd year due to broken foot) and played through till retirement, he'd be at just under 40k pts. In a perfect world and he never broke his foot, he'd be at 42k. Of course his reb,ast, stl, blks would be way up there too accumulating over time. But, it's hypothetical. Didn't happen. He didn't need it to be considered GOAT by vast majority of the world.

Right now LeBron is still relevant and playing great(albiet against inferior compeition), but 33 years old is not old and people acting like LeBrons doing amazing things by racking up stats and escaping teams with no all stars or low tier all stars...everyone is racking up stats in todays league on top of it including rookies. MJ was MVP and FMVP at 35. Karl Malone MVP at 35, averaged like 27/10/4 at a year older than LeBron currently is, and even 20ppg at 39 years old and continuously contending for a title for over a decade. Kobe at 34 was putting together the same kind of season LeBron at 33 is having and carrying the team and getting even better than he had been in a few seasons before he tore his Achilles at the end there.

lw17 likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Remember, my entire reason for being in this discussion is to defend the past legends who you and that other dude continue to **** on and make believe this whole world where everyone is so evolved physically and skillfully that past legends would be scrubs or role players like Joe Ingles and Ian Mahimi and Trevor Ariza. If were discussing LeBron going into the 80s or 90s, he's not going to dominate anymore than he currently is especially in the 80s and 90s EC. If were talking GOAT, i get it, he's your GOAT. He's just not to me. But, this whole trend where LeBron fans tear down legends of the past and their peers to help themselves feel more secure about their guy and his peers is getting tiresome. It's delusional and i can't even tell if yall are just trolling.

Anyway, good talk. If basketball is as much your **** as it is mine, you should learn how to respect the past. I have no doubt you will eventually. Good luck 20 years from now when the new generation start talking about their "Next Michael Jordan" as the GOAT and you argue for LeBron and his peers while they clown and tell you everyone in the 2ks and 2010s were garbage and they'd be no better than <insert white role players name>
    Trust me. That day will come.

lw17 likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont even think Lebron is the GOAT, that title belongs to Kareem. Kareem has more rings than MJ (6 rings as player, 2 as coach), is the all time pts leader despite being a big man and played 20 years and could have probably played more if not for his creaky knees. Why is the dude who scored more pts, had more rebs, more blocks abd more titles not the GOAT over Jordan? And they aren't even that far apart, MJ's era is directly after Kareem's so the competition should be similar. Why is Jordan the "universal GOAT"? It's a simple answer: marketing.

All the people who say MJ is the GOAT are the people who watched him play during their childhood and they drank all the Kool Aid by Nike, Looney Tunes and the NBA who needed a mega star to keep fan interest.

If you objectively look at accomplishments though, MJ quit on the game 2 times. Peole hate quitters like Tmac or Scottie Quitten, but MJ is somehow excused when he quit bball and played baseball. MJ is a quitter TWICE that alone should stop him from being goat. Other people love bball so much they play until they can't anymore MJ quit twice. And I dont give a F if it was due to his dad, the mob or w/e BS reason there is Anderson's wife killed herself but he continued to play bball. Are you saying Ryan Anderson is more mentally stronger than MJ? Gimme a break

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

jordan moved the needle himself by winning 3 more rings after retirement.

6 rings, 6 finals mvps, 5 mvps >>> 3 rings, 3 finals mvps, 4 mvps.

lw17 likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all its dumb to say Lebron today is facing less competition than Jordan in the 80s. That's just not factually true, the rise of technology, training and globalization of the NBA has made it so competition today is better than before. It's the same thing with every sport, if you took football players and made them face Joe Montana's era how many of them would dominate?

It's ok to respect the past but you should be realistic, 90% of players during Jordan's era would not get in the league today due to no access to the latest training and technology. During Jordan's just being able to dunk made you a semi star, now people who aren't even in the NBA are dunking.

As for 20 yrs from now yes you are right there might be a new GOAT. That's how life works, duh.

JMAD21 likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Russell has 11 rings >>>>>6 rings

Russell is GOAT straight from your mouth.

lw17 likes this.
  18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Jesus. You spewed so much nonsense I don't even know where to start....

First of all, I have stated time and time again that I appreciate these guys more than anyone. Again, Chris Mullin is one of my favorite players of all time. MJ is the reason I started watching basketball. I used to try to do Dr. J's reverse layup in my front yard. I appreciate the hell out of these guys, I just don't ignore whats happening in front of my eyes. I don't hold it against them that players today are better. Thats just the way sports work man. You claiming that I don't respect the past proves that you take this too personal to have an objective opinion.

You're making the same excuses for MJ that you say Im making for LeBron. I can admit that LeBron had some really low points in his career, why can't you admit that for MJ? He didnt win a damn thing until he got another HOFer on his team, as well as a HOF coach (which LeBron has never had). For LeBron to play with legit players he had to leave. And even you will admit that no one can win a title without other great players! You're pointing out MJ retiring like its a positive, ignoring the fact that HE ADMITTED he could no longer handle the pressure! If LeBron did this you would call him a p***y.

The statue is a representation of the censuses at that time. It simply points out that everyone agreed he was the goat. AND HE WAS. I never, not once, said I care about career totals. I care about what a player does on the basketball court, and LeBron does more things great on a basketball court than anyone else ever has. You can look at numbers to drive that point, or you can objectively watch the man play basketball like I did when I was convinced that nobody would ever be as good as MJ.

The marketing didnt make him the goat, it just made it so that anybody who said otherwise was questioning everyone that had anything to do with the NBA. Name another sport that has ever had an unquestionable goat... No other sport has pushed for it like the NBA, and it made the sport incredibly popular and created a generation of players that wanted to be like Mike. It's why players today are so much better!

I'll end with this because you posted so much incoherent nonsense that it's difficult to address it all... LeBron is better at playing basketball than anyone else who has ever played basketball. He's doing it in the most difficult era ever. To deny that is to be a blind fanboy. And this will be true for the next era. As long as basketball is being played, its going to get better. I fully expect someone to pass LeBron one day. Saying this is not disrespectful to anyone. MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Russell, Hakeem, etc. were all the greatest ever to some degree during their times. They moved the game forward to what we have now. Claiming that the NBA isn't better today is actually disrespectful to your era.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Easy. Jordan was the unquestionable best player on all 6 titles, regular season, playoff series and Finals series with a top 30-40 teammate. Kareem has 6 titles, where he had 2 top 10 all time teammates and he wasn't even the best player on 4 of his 6 titles. The Bucks title, he was better than older Oscar. The first Lakers title, he was the best player, but didn't even play as rookie Magic started and finished the series off and won FMVP starting at C in place of him. The rest of the titles, Magic was the best player including the 85 team Kareem got FMVP for. 2 as a coach? You seriously crediting him for 2 championships for being Andrew Bynums big man coach?

I think Kareem might also catch a lot of flack due to playing the entire 70s decade. Everyone wants to negate Wilts statistical dominance because he played inferior competition, and yet Kareem was putting up video game numbers through the 70s pre merger. Just a few years after Wilt had been in his prime and putting up 50 and 25. Post merger, his numbers were still amazing, but not video game like anymore just like a lot of 70s guys who had drastic statistical drops post merger. So he basically had a lesser Wilt career but for longer and with better teammates.

I won't even entertain your idea of calling MJ a quitter after 2 separate 3 peats where could have easily just accumulated more rings and accolades and career totals with no one in his way. LeBron quitting on Cleveland and then Miami and probably again on Cleveland this summer is what you need to defend.

Jordan played in 3 different decades. Lets not also pretend he only played in the 80s where he didn't even win a ring.

There's nothing "factual" about you saying 90% of the league MJ played in wouldn't even make it in the NBA. How can you not see how insanely delusional that is? It's beyond me. Just being able to dunk made you a semi star in Jordans era. Wow.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

See all the rings you jump through lmao. If Rusell and Wilt and Kareem played against inferior competition what does that make Jordan compared to today? If you are gonna make the argument that Russell and Kareem dont count because competition during their time is inferior to Jordan then Jordan shouldn't count because competition during his time is inferior to Lebron. Why should time stop during the 1980s? Its not like there were no progress since then gimme a break.

Globalization, training and technology have made the 80s player competition inferior to what we have today. That's a fact. How many players did body building and had sports science on their side? Supplements, did those exist in the 80s? Kids nowadays get traininf from high school, when where 80s players exposed to organized bball? NBA today is globalized, meaning the entire world can play if they are good enough. In Jordan's time only the US pretty much were exposed to bball, other nations didn't know anything and were being routed by 50+ pts.

Who would have a better pool of players, choosing from 235.8 mill of US during MJ's time or 7B today during Lebron's time?

Name me one field where the experts were better 20 yrs ago than today. Gotta stop wearing your nike kicks and watching reruns of Space Jam!