1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk- Still the nicest guy in the NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, May 13, 2015.

1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Pictures or it did not happen.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

All true, but off the court, some of these guys are just nice dudes.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. Nice dudes grope women... Noted. :cool::rolleyes:

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

99 percent fans including myself will disagree with you. Nothing personal. He is a joke on defense.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I remember a game where we were bringing the ball up, still in the back court, and Dirk put out his arm at the last minute and clothlined our guy and sent him to the floor.

Yea, real nice guy.

7. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

He is kind of a once in a generation type player, but given Duncan is similar in many regards, it is pretty astonishing that both came along at about the same time.

Duncan gets the edge, obviously, but both are all-time greats with an immense loyalty to their organizations. They haven't ever really been caught up in being a celebrity, are exceptionally humble, and overall people that are tough to hate (except from a competitive standpoint). They both left a lot of endorsement money on the table in order to just be a couple of guys that enjoy playing basketball and appreciate the opportunity to do it for a living.

Hard not to be happy for Dirk getting a ring in 2011. Say whatever you will about the Mavs, but he deserved it.

THAT Dirk, that will just dominate a game and bury your team with a slew of unguardable fall-away jumpers has already left us, so no real need to anticipate his retirement anymore. It'll be sad when he is no longer playing in the league.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Surprised he didn't flop on the kid and injure him further.

9. DappyDan

DappyDan Member

I remember it blew my mind in 1998 seeing a power forward being able to shoot threes like a shooting guard. His statue outside the American Airlines Center is going to be spectacular.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nice guy or not, he still has yellow teeth.

1 person likes this.
  11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

A video doesn't prove he's a nice guy and a true Rockets fan never ever gives props to a Mavs player. OP should be banned!!@@@@!

12. yo

yo Contributing Member

Who remembers when Dirk was on Punk'd? He must have signed 20 different things for the kid and just kinda laughed about. Seems like a nice guy to me.

13. HardenHardon

HardenHardon Member

That was Dirk in the video, not James Harden.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

GOT EEEeeemmm!

15. ferrari77

Lol foh. I have first hand experience that he is w/o a doubt one of the nicest dudes in the league. I've been around him enough to see and know that.

Context?

I'm sure Clutch can tell us what he's seen in his years covering the Rockets and what players are really nice.
    From my personal experience, I haven't come across any two players nicer to fans, team employees, etc than Dirk and Thabo Sefolosha.
    Dirk is even more special given his superstar status and all the demands on him from the media and fans.

Like you said though, there are others that are probably just as nice to fans(not as many as you would think but they are there).

16. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I will be really sad when he actually retires. Nothing but respect for him

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Vid means nothing. Hitler liked puppies.

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

So he's the nicest guy in the League because he talked to a kid.... I would bet literally the entire life savings of everyone in Australia that 95% of NBA players have done this at least once.

19. ferrari77

(1)He's the nicest guy in the league for more reasons than the video I posted. I would bore you if I listed the reasons and things I've seen him do and say to people over the years.

(2)I'm sure there's a difference between merely talking to a kid and holding a legit conversation with a kid.

I've seen my fair share of NBA players walk past little kids in the tunnel before a game or even after a win and not so much as acknowledge the kid that's calling out to them. I've seen that enough to know there's a decent amount of players that don't give a $hit. A significant percentage do care but there are the ones that don't. That's all that was meant.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It just tells you that there are not enough 'nice guys' out there because of various reasons..... one that is you cannot be seen as 'soft'.