1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DIME] Past overhyped players

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by dream2franchise, May 4, 2006.

1. dream2franchise

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5575314

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Has there ever been another Larry Bird who was not white? Another Dirk who isn't int'l? Another Jordan who was not African - American? Another Magic who was only tall but NOT a PG?

Oddly (?) the only 'another' out of all the 'anothers' is Kobe (who may play mindfully of MJ but sure doesn't carry himself like His Airness). :D

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

How can a 2nd Round draft choice who hasn't even stepped foot on a NBA court be an overhyped player?

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Interesting point.

5. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

because he was compared to Tony Parker and Kobe Bryant without ever stepping on the floor in the nba. just think about it for a second. this guy was a late second round pick and our GM is calling him a mix between Parker and Bryant. he's just setting this kid up for failure.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I understand his point, but he's putting him on a list of players that have already proved they were overrated. CD's comments are premature, but the author should at least give the kid a chance to prove himself.

I wouldn't call him overhyped because nobody (besides us) even knows who he is.

7. Bob

Bob Member

The media has definately not overhyped Spanoulis. But I do think we are all afraid of CD overating the kid like he has Mo Taylor, Moochi, Maloney, Cato, Swift, etc, etc.

I hope the new GM in-training takes over his duties this summer.

And I would not only agree that a second round pick cannot be overhyped but also you need to be at least a top ten pick to be on that list. Minor getting picked at 13 is not like Christian Laettner getting taken at 3. Plus I never really considered someone having a career ending injury as a bust. If Labron had a career ending injury it doesn't mean he was a bust with the number one pick. It's just bad luck.

8. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

Penny Hardaway

9. Bob

Bob Member

Penny was a point guard in his early years with Shaq.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe CD is just hyping up Vasilus Spanoulis so his draft rights will be worth something in trade (when combined with, say, the #8 pick or Stromile)?

11. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

That was my point, he was tall AND a point guard

12. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Interesting one of his most vivid memory of Bradley is when T-Mac rode him like a horse in the 2005 playoffs, I am surprised nobody brought that up :D :p

Another overhyped player would be Mike Dunleavy Jr who was picked 3rd overall in 2002. Many forumers on clutchfans actually contemplated trading down our number one draft pick (Yao) for this scrub to get another player or late lottery pick! :eek:

-G'day-

13. nilsrock

nilsrock Member

...and that's bad?

14. MykTek

MykTek Member

man, this reminds me of our busted draft picks...derick chievous aka the band-aid man....and how he open his mouth wide open when taking free throws.... lol, then the next yr, getting Dave Jamerson....bust! ....John Tuner the next yr....did he ever make it back from Europe?....then Robert Horry....thank god we finally had a solid pick...but i remember at the draft party, everyone was boo-ing b/c they didn't know who the hell he is and everyone wanted Harold Miner.... lol....then the following yr, we got Sam Cassell....which was another good pick...then we went a few yrs w/o 1st round picks....and then rudy t pulls out roderick rhodes....and the following yr, we got dickerson(doesn't Luther Head remind u of him), bryce drew(just b/c he hit one big shot in the tourney, we draft him) and the famous Mirsad Turckan ....and we pasted on who??? a local boy that goes by Rashard Lewis..... doesn't this kinda remind u of the Houston Texan's draft recently.....but yeah, ya'll get my point, houston has no luck w/ 1st round picks....besides Horry, Cassell, and Yao....they haven't done much in the last almost 20 yrs....the rockets are over hyped when it comes to drafting players....don't forget the recent yrs....Jason Collier and Eddie Griffin...

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

damn, dude, break this paragraph or watchmacallit up