1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dime] Morey defends Jeremy Lin turnovers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TC777JLIN168, Nov 8, 2012.

1. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

http://dimemag.com/2012/11/houston-gm-defends-jeremy-lins-turnovers Daryl Morey, GM Houston Rockets 499 votes by Abdullah Aloğlu, Anon User, Sean Rose, (more) I would add a few points to the many good ones already made here:

Many of Jeremy's turnovers are charges. These are the best turnovers to have as not only do charges mean that you are being aggressive as a player (when good things often happen) but also turnover charges are not "live ball" turnovers where teams get a higher expected value possession the other way. For example, in our opening Detroit game, Jeremy had no "bad pass" turnovers. They were all charges or off the dribble. Compare his lack of any bad pass turnovers to his 12 "high quality" passes in the game (passes he made that set up high percentage offense for others)

This leads into my next point that Jeremy's passes were the best in the league last year in the percentage that led to high quality offense. This is a fancy way of saying that when he makes a risky pass it is usually for a high reward so his bad pass turnovers, when he has them, are not as bad as for other guards as his avg possession efficiency remains higher

Finally, most young guards who are going to be very good start as high turnover players in college and in their early seasons in the pros and get better throughout their career

2. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

charges could also mean your young pg only has one speed and might need to be taught how to change gears throughout the game.

Charges also result in zero points for your team and another chance for the other team to put points on the board

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

It's a good article.

The truth is ... Lin needs to have higher turnovers, not lower. When his turnovers are high, he is aggressive and creating opportunities.

And higher usage rate also.

4. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Daryl Morey is right.

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

On your second point, Morey didn't say charges are good. He just says out of the different types of turnovers, charges are relatively better. Because it leads to an out of bounds entry pass possession, and play is stopped. The resulting FGA at the other end is the average 40%+ conversion rate. This is vs a turnover say off a bad pass that leads to a fastbreak, which typically has a 70%+ conversion rate (unless run by Toney Douglas our 0.111% FG% guy).

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Reminds me of the whole block shots out of bounds vs. keep in play thing back when Yao and Deke still played. Man, Deke had such a soft touch on his blocks it was breathtaking.

7. echu888

echu888 Member

Ya. Actually The Dream was too-legit when it came to blocking a shot and keeping it in play.

8. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

he and the team got no calls last night that was clear, especially in the first half. Lin can't throw it in the ocean from the beach at this point, but I'm still optimistic.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Of course he is going to defend Lin. He put a lot of money into getting him here.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

He is also right though. John Hollinger said the exact same thing about Westbrook in his rookie year.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This.

12. sando

sando Member

Still we need a backup PG.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I don't see morey saying we didn't need one

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Okay, I can buy that. He still had 6 turnovers though, which is a lot. I guess I'm glad he barreled into defenders instead of passing them the ball, but it's be better still to get a shot on goal.

Something he doesn't mention though is that charges are fouls. Lin's probably not in much danger of fouling out, but I wonder if Morey would still prefer a charge to a bad pass for a big man. And, charges still help put you in the penalty and award more free throws.

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I thought Lin only had 2 TO

16. killakim

killakim Member

you are correct. he had 6 steals as well

17. cbb139

cbb139 Member

It looks like Lin is still trying to get to 100%, I think his TO's will gradually decrease as he gets to 100%.

18. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Morey is the man

19. MD_in_Training

:confused:
    His point was that there are different degrees of turnovers with charges being on the better end. ANY kind of turnover results in zero points for your team and a chance to score for the other team. With charges, it at least suggests that it was a turnover due to aggression and not passivity. Also, with a turnover (unlike a live ball TO), the other team doesn't have the opportunity to run a fast break and get an easy score.

20. pnr

pnr Member

wtf, lin hasn't been that turnover prone these past few games. If anything, Harden has been turnover prone. I think it has to do with usage rate. Harden's usage rate is extremely high right now and Lin's hasn't been anywhere close to what he had in NY. I feel like the team will succeed more if Harden tries to get his teammates more involved instead of trying to create his own shots, especially if he's being defended really well. Harden needs to trust his teammates more.