1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DIME MAG] NBA Trade Pitch: Carmelo Anthony to Houston for Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

Personally, I wouldn't mind giving up Brooks if Billups was part of the deal, because once his contract comes off your books, you can make a run at Chris Paul when he hits free agency. And your odds of landing Paul are a lot better if you have Melo on this team.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Now you are talking about giving up a ton of pieces, mostly junk that the Nuggets wouldn't want. I highly doubt the Nuggets are going want to trade Melo for Jeffries, Bud, Hill, Patterson, Hayes and filler lol. Not to mention there is a limit on the number of players a team can have on their roster.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Budinger, Hill, Patterson and two NY picks is not "mostly junk that the Nuggets wouldn't want"

Ther rest is just filler, they can include cash to fund the buyout costs.

Look back the KG to Boston trade, that was mostly junk and Minny took it.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Those three players are only $5 million or so in combined salary. You have to throw in a lot of junk to get the salaries right to make a deal, after which you have gutted your entire roster. Who is your backup PF since you've given up Hill and Patterson AND thrown in Hayes to make the money work?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

al jefferson was a pretty big centerpiece of that trade. none of those guys we are offering has the same talent level of a jefferson.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

they're going to want kevin martin or brooks ALONG with the NY picks and hill/patterson. it's carmelo anthony we're talking about.

we're going to pay a fairly big price if we want to acquire melo. he's one of the faces of the NBA. denver knows that.

7. anchel

anchel Member

I'm reading Clippers would offer Aminu + Wolves unprotected 2012 pick + Kaman as filler. That's a very good pack.

8. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

Besides the pick, I do not see how the clippers offer is that great of an offer. Why would they want/need kaman and Aminu hasnt done anything. In my mind, the only thing helpful to them as of right now is the pick.

9. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

YES someone who is finally talking sense

10. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

Hahaha I agree.

Wouldn't mind JR Smith, sure he's a thug but he's athletic, can really be competitive if he wants to and isn't a bad shooter but he is a subpar defender.

I think that would be a little insulting to Martin though, the guy plays well with Brooks, doesn't dominate the ball, and at least he tries to play defense.

11. SunsRocketsfan

would hate to give up Martin but Melo is a top player in the league. Arguably just a notch below Kobe, Lebron, Wade
    After that you have Dirk, Melo, CP3, group.
    Martin is a border line all star. Although I do agree he may fit with the team better..

Maybe we can give up Courtney Lee, Chase, Battier, Hill + NY Picks :)

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yeah and I wouldn't mind giving Megan Fox an Anne Hathaway while double teaming her with Anne Hathaway.

13. SunsRocketsfan

JR Is a punk.. i would hate to have to root for this guy.. where is that animated gif of JR doing some sort of chicken, t-rex dance

14. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

if this happens the rockets would probably be a 1-2 seed in the west and the nuggets would be looking at a 7-8 seed that would be crazy first round series

1. Lakers
    2. Rockets
    3. Mavs
    4. Thunder
    5. Jazz
    6. Spurs
    7. Nuggets
    8. Blazers/Hornets/Clippers/Suns

15. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

yes it would be. even with jr smith in the deal.

16. SunsRocketsfan

17. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

decisions, decisions. Jr smith dances like a t-rex, while chauncy billups is about as old as a t-rex.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

melo is more than just a notch below lebron, wade, kobe. he's 2-3 notches below.

CP3, durant, howard, dirk > melo.

melo is below that group.

but yes, he's still a legit all-star and you have to get him if you can.

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

jr smith is a head case, and an idiot, but he can do this......

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5GnzXaFuRgY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5GnzXaFuRgY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

this dunk was almost prime vince carter worthy.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hell, except for Kaman (who would HAVE to be in the deal for matching salaries), I wouldn't mind the Rox as part of a 3-team deal. Part of me wondered if Morey was interested in Aminu during the draft.

I'd have to say, though, the Clippers deal would be tough to top. Unless Denver were looking for cap relief. In which case we would have the advantage, with all teams making calls to Charlotte to make a 3-team trade involving Dampier's mostly-waivable contract as sweetener.