1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DIME MAG] NBA Trade Pitch: Carmelo Anthony to Houston for Kevin Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Melo's foul-drawing ability is exactly the reason why having him in a lineup with Yao, Martin, and Lowry would make us absolutely lethal offensively. That is 4 guys that live at the free throw line. We should be in the bonus 7 minutes into every quarter. That would be killer.

2. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

There was nothing misleading about the title. It was obvious that it wasn't a done deal. It says "Pitch" which is akin to an offer, which means it's just a potential deal.

OP, don't worry about amending your title. It's not your fault there are people who don't understand what the word pitch means.

On topic: I wouldn't mind that deal except I'd want to quickly ship off Smith for someone else. Shipping Battier and Martin for Melo and Smith also means we're gonna trade low-maintenance, good character guys for some guys who sometimes seem to need babysitting.

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Sorry that your reading comprehension is so poor. There are so many newbies that start threads with completely erroneous titles, and you want to call out someone who does it right, because your eye caught something?

And it makes you feel better because a couple of other guys made the same mistake? Just say "my bad", and move on. Don't make yorself look worse.

As to the article, I don't think that trade is going to be what Denver wants, but BatmanJones is right - Morey would have to take that deal even if Melo is someone he doesn't particularly want.

After what the franchise has been through, I don't see how Morey can really refuse a similar deal, but if he ends up saying 'no' I'll be fine with it and really look forward to his explanation.

I really think the ball will be in our court, maybe because I'm not sure Melo is a great fit here, and there will be suggested deals I wouldn't do.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think Denver would want Martin included in the deal. They would still be a playoff team if they got Martin.

5. worzel gummidge

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

So are the headcases of JR Smith and K-Mart (the original) worth it? If we can get a deal done without losing martin AND Brooks, then yes it is worth it, but how do salaries match up?

If it could be done just by trading the young players and picks, then we will have the deepest team in the NBa of the past decade.

7. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Thank you. I know we'd have to sacrifice to get Melo, but I'd rather see almost anyone go than Martin.

8. declan32001

declan32001 Member

9. Landry92

Landry92 Member

I was watching Carmelo's Game against the Cavs in the Q and I really doubt he could adjust to the Adelman offense he really doesnt play within the team ..

70% of his points are through Iso and Post ups .. and he demands the ball about 90% of the time but doesnt get because of the presence of strong leader Chauncey .. I cant see AB doing that ..

Stil want the trade to go through and have a slim hope Morey could do it without giving up Martin or Brooks or Bud ..

10. Seth

Seth Member

I don´t think Melo fits this offense, but i do think he might fit in the project if we go back to a more pick n roll oriented offense in times where yao is on the court.
    We will have a good squad anyways. With or without melo.

11. DubNaSty

DubNaSty New Member

Melo could and would adjust to adelman's offense because he is really just that good, although it really sucks to give up Ab or Martin, when a Melo caliber player comes your way you absolutely have to go for it. Morey understands you have to give to get which is why,( just like he has said all along) he has obtained valuble assests to aquire a superstar player to complement Yao. Right now its amazing that there is even a chance to grab him. A Melo/Yao combo with our players and bench is an instant championship caliber team.
    The only time i see melo he is most definatly getting the best best of anyone,(i mean anyone) in the league. Aquire the melo man at all costs, it's Carmelo fereeckqien Anthony!!!

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I like Carmelo. I'd love to have him but I'd much rather give them Aaron brooks for a guy like Chauncey. I definitely think Rick A. is just the type of coach that Chauncey needs to revive his career.

Billups-Lowry
    Martin-lee
    Melo-Martin
    scola-hayes
    yao-bmiller

I'd love to go to war with that lineup

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

This is just laughable.

Last season, Chauncey Billups averaged a career high 19.5 points per game, attempted 7 free throws a game (more than Yao did in 2008-09) at 91% accuracy, shot 39% from 3, and had a TS% of 60%. I don't think his career is exactly in need of reviving.

14. Danbury

Danbury Member

I love how people just assume other teams are stupid*. The Nuggets know just as well as the Rockets that NY doesn't have a prayer to be any good w/o Melo this year and they hold the bulk of the leverage. You have to think not just about why the Rockets would do a trade, but why would their trade partner pull the trigger on the same deal.

* exceptions being the Knicks and the Timberwolves who actually are stupid.

15. Danbury

Danbury Member

If Melo can't adjust to the offense, the offense needs to adjust to him. Yao doesn't exactly fit the offense either, but Adelman adjusts. We've seen him change his "offense" and coaching style several times to accomodate his available talent. Example: The first year under Adelman barely resembled anything Adelman's Kings did, but the Rockets were still successful.

Adelman is a good coach, he will make it work.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We need to find a way to make this trade work without losing Martin.

17. PASTORofMUPPETS

Pretty sure Rusty Hardin would be ok with JR coming to Houston!

;)

18. nolimitation

nolimitation Member

You shouldn't criticize other for your lack of vocabulary. You should of looked up the word "pitch."

19. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

It says "Trade Pitch". A little reading comprehension goes a long way. Not a bad trade at all but if we are going to take JR Smith back, I'd give up less.

20. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

Carmelo is a GREAT player but is only worth it if we can get him like the lakers got pau gasol and i mean that when you get him away for basically NOTHING.
    Right now, I like our team on paper. I don't wanna give up brooks or martin. Personally I'd rather give up brooks and get a good PG in return. I like Martin's efficiency. Takes good shots and will hit his free throws.