1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DIKEMBE appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SwoLy-D, May 6, 2005.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I want to have your baby, Mr. Mutombo. Please impregnate me.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dikembe_mutombo/bio.html
    *Dikembe and his wife, Rose, have one daughter, Carrie Biamba Wamutumbo, and a new baby boy, Jean Jacques Dikembe Mutumbo Mplombo, Jr.
    *Also serves as te adoptive parents for four other children (two boys and two girls)
    *Full name is Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo
    *Speaks English, French, Spanish, Portuguese and five African dialects
    *Earned bachelor's degrees in Linguistics and Diplomacy from Georgetown
    *Named as one of The Sporting News' top 99 "Good Guys in Sports" in 2000 and 1999
    *Also recognized in June, 1999, as one of the 20 winners of the President's Service Awards, the nation's highest honor for volunteer service, sponsored by the Points of Light Foundation
    *Created the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation three years ago to assist with efforts to provide humanitarian assistance to his homeland (Congo, formerly known as Zaire)
    *Travelled to the Congo in the summer of 2000 as part of his ongoing efforts to build a medcal facility in his homeland
    *In 1999, he donated $3 million to start construction on a $44 million hospital, and also shipped $250,000 worth of medical and pharmaceutical supplies and 40 beds to existing hospitals
    *Toured Africa twice in the offseason as an international spokesman for CARE
    *In 1999, won the seventh annual Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Award, presented to athletes who excel and help others
    *Paid for uniforms and expenses for the Zaire women's basketball team during the 1996 Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta
    *Wears size 22 basketball shoes, the largest in the NBA (Shaquille O'Neal also wears the same size

------------
    I know he doesn't read this BBS. I just want to share with you the tears I shed last night. :(
    ------------
    EDIT:
    EVER SINCE THE "Rockets acquire Mutombo" thread, I have said DEKE is the pillar behind YAO's strength. We couldn't get a BETTER back up. I have never doubted you, Mplombo. I love you, man :( "

#1 SwoLy-D, May 6, 2005
    Last edited: May 6, 2005
  2. xcharged

xcharged Member

NO! Women or in this case..confused male fans weaken legs!

It's okay to love your Deke but not "LOVE" your Deke.

3. SwoLy-D

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3169910

May 6, 2005, 2:02AM

ROCKETS VS. MAVERICKS
    Mutombo gives Yao counsel
    Message from one big man to another: If fouls get called, so be it
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

With Yao Ming once again becoming the center of attention in the NBA, he has a teammate who can relate.

It wasn't that long ago when Dikembe Mutombo was in the middle of a playoff controversy himself. He and Shaquille O'Neal were tossing elbows, flops and words at each other during the 2001 NBA Finals. Their matchup in the Lakers-76ers series became a huge story as O'Neal complained about Mutombo's flopping and whining while Mutombo complained about O'Neal's elbows.

Four years later, big men are again the big story. Sunday, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy charged that Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban's complaints to the league have led to greater scrutiny of Yao than other players. Van Gundy was fined $100,000 on Monday, a record for an NBA coach.

Mutombo noticed the national attention brought on by the story was influencing Yao during Game 5. So just as he has all season, Mutombo sat down with Yao to talk and share his own experiences.

"I had a great talk with Yao about keeping his head up and just trying to not get caught up in the officiating and just go ahead and play the game of basketball and enjoy himself," Mutombo said Thursday before the Rockets' 101-83 victory in Game 6. "Whatever happens happens.

"I think in Game 5, it seemed like he was caught up in all the attention about Coach being fined and how the game was going to be officiated. If they are going to call a foul, let them call a foul. You have to play the game. That's how I play my game. I'm going to hit you. If the ref doesn't call it, fine. We're going to keep going."

Mutombo had a chance to show exactly what he was talking about Thursday. With Yao on the bench for the entire fourth quarter, Mutombo dominated the paint with four blocks and five rebounds. He finished the game with a team-high 10 rebounds in 18 minutes.

Mutombo still fondly recalls the series in which he said he tasted his own blood in every game. After one of the games against the Lakers, he even had to have stitches in his mouth.

"I tried not to get caught up in how the game was officiated, because I knew Shaq was strong," Mutombo said. "He's a monster. He has a power game.

"I always remember that as one of the best jobs I've ever done, even though I got hit a couple of times — in my face, in my nose, in my chin. I think I handled myself very well."

Mutombo quickly pointed out that he wasn't always the one being hit. He remembered landing a few elbows of his own, and those moments were the ones he tried to relate to Yao.

"Keep your elbow high and hit somebody before they hit you," Yao said of Mutombo's advice. "That's all that he did."

With Mutombo in his 14th season in the NBA, he has experienced almost every situation. He has been able to relate to Yao on the officiating issues, but there have been some situations new to Mutombo.

With the number of true centers in the NBA seeming to drop each season, the 7-2 Mutombo is trying to adjust to a league in which he and the 7-6 Yao are relative novelties. The Mavericks' only 7-foot starter is power forward Dirk Nowitzki.

"I've just never been in a situation like this where you have to play a team seven times where they don't have a center," Mutombo said. "Every day you wake up in the morning and think, 'Oh, what's that little man going to do against me today? Is he going to try to attack me to the basket? Is he going to try to pull me away from the basket?' Those are the things that we're trying to concentrate on night after night."

Despite having to deal with O'Neal's elbows four years ago, Mutombo said he misses pushing and being pushed by someone his own height.

"I really did enjoy the way the game was played before, when it was a big man going against another big man," Mutombo said. "It's changed a lot. But I'm still having fun."

megan.manfull@chron.com
    ===================

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I consider it paramount that we extend him in the offseason. 6 months ago I looked at him as a blue chip piece of trade bait for next year, now I consider him one of the biggest keys to our success. Do we survive even half the bad nights with Yao w/o Dike?

Evan

5. SwoLy-D

AGREED, emjohn.

I know that after last night, you will appreciate the DEKE. (pronounciation: deek)
    C'mon now... plenty of views but only emjohn and xcharged have something to add? C'mon...

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deke was huge last night. When it liked the Mavs were going to make a game of it Deke made stop after stop. He was fearless, and a monster defender. Seeing him not only block shots but go to the floor to secure the loose ball was great. He had a huge impact last night.

It's great that Yao gets to play with him. I hope that they spend another year on the same team.

7. SwoLy-D

At one point, DEKE and YAO were BOTH out ( :eek: ). I said to my wife... "OH, man... they're going to drive it in... no one owns the defense in the paint..."

Sure enough, they outscore us 8-1 in about 2 minutes of DEKE+YAO rest.

GUESS WHO JVG puts in after that???? DEKE. Guess by how many points we go up???? The rest is history... :D

8. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

For a stretch in that 4th quarter, it seemed like Deke was either blocking or altering every Mavs shot, not to mention pulling down tons of key rebounds. It was an unbelievable performance by him and totally saved the Rockets.

9. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Who wants to sex Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo?

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i want deke to play another 10 years for us.

even my girlfriend immitates his facial expressions during the game. he is priceless.

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The Rockets need to keep Deke around. Deke is Yao insurance. What you lose offensively you make up with defense. Awesome fourth quarter last night. He completely shutdown any scoring in the paint for the Mavs.

12. Elle Woods

Elle Woods Member

LMAO!!!! This is priceless, my husband is obsessed with the original phrase!

13. xcharged

xcharged Member

Who wants to sex Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo...clap...clap..clappity..clap.

now that's a game time chant!

14. SwoLy-D

Thank you...! (I mean in the terms of "I agree")...

I told my wife like this:

ME: "Babes, can you let me be impregnated by the DEKEster?"
    SHE: "Yes! That way we could get CHILD SUPPORT!"

Priceless.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I can't quiet figure out why ALL season long, whenever Deke comes in the team seems to always go on a run and outscore their opponents. Yet when Yao is in, although he is a better offensive player, the team's running/scoring game is not as good.

Does this have to do with Yao's teammates being overly concerned about getting him the ball inside when he is in, and thus it slows down our entire offense and clogs the middle with defenders? Is it because Deke is a better defender and thus the whole team's collective defende improves and it generates fast breaks/more easy points?

It is something that has been intreguing me for a while now. I wonder what you guys think about this, and if you have noticed the same thing over the course of the season.

Let me also say that I notice the same thing in this Dallas series when Bowen is in: that is although he is a blackhole on offense, the team's OVERALL outlook is usually better when he is on the floor. So it is almost like an addition-by-subtraction thing on offense when Bowen is in.

This just goes to show that the game of basketball is more than stats, it is about intangibles that don't show up on the stat sheet, but still make as big a difference on ths game

16. SwoLy-D

I have said, all along, when he comes in and you can see it in his defensive stance, he wants a ring more than anyone. I loved him since the 8th seed romp of Seattle back in the early 90's. GO DEKE! :D

17. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

"NOT IN MY HOUSE" - in the persona of Cookie Monster done by Dikembe "The Dream #2" Mutumbo!

18. tedwhite

tedwhite Member

LMAO...
    Next game please chant "I want to sex Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo"

19. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

I love Deke!!!

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Now Deke needs to teach Yao the important stuff like the finger waggle. Yao needs to develop his own though because Deke has the trademark on his, maybe Yao could rub both index fingers together like in "Shame on You for bringing that weak a** shot in the paint". Maybe he could do a double finger waggle but instead of doing the waggle up high like Deke does it, Yao could waggle both his fingers at waist level.:)