1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Didn't take Bannon long: GOP Senators seek to cut LEGAL immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 7, 2017.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We don't have a problem with legal immigrants. What do you mean it sucks currently? Can you help me out a bit?

2. dmoneybangbang

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Such ignorance, it's hilarious.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It wasn't racist it was just colorist. :rolleyes:

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent post, geeimsobored. Cutting our legal immigration would be cutting our own throats, in my opinion. One of the big advantages we have over the Europeans and the Japanese is our large, and still growing, workforce. As you point out, while they are struggling to provide for an ever increasing "senior" population with a shrinking workforce, we have plenty of working age Americans with which to grow our economy while still providing for our aging population. Something else I would point out - reducing legal immigration, when it is already very difficult to immigrate to this country legally (despite what we keep hearing from Trump supporters), would encourage even more illegal immigration, in my humble opinion. However, that should be the least of our worries.

If anything, we should increase the number of legal immigrants to the United States. Immigration is an American tradition as old as this country, of course, and as someone who has traveled around the world,
    (I actually have a plaque from Pan Am "for having completed the Circumnavigation of the World by Clipper," that they gave me in the mid-'60's)
    I can tell you that millions still yearn for the freedom and opportunity the United States offers. In years past, I have visited someone's home in a country like India or Greece and spotted a photograph of President John F. Kennedy on the wall in a prominent place. To those people, Jack Kennedy represents something great about our country that Donald Trump appears to be busy attempting to destroy. Freedom, and hope for a better future.

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

True, his comment wasn't better than yours but knowing Sweetlou's comments around here I wonder if it was satire. At least you admit it was a racist comment.

The oddest thing about your comment is it assumes that "Brown" people don't belong here or if they can't call it 'their' country either. America for a lot of people has always represented a neutral country, a country that takes the best from the world and infuses it into its own unique culture. Immigration has always made this country stronger throughout history.

6. Dei

Dei Member

Oh, ok. Mine was satire too.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Take a break from the internet. Make your difference in the real world.

It doesn't take a genius to see what you're doing. It's just sad and pathetic.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We already do that with refugees. A lot good that does for 7 certain countries.

It's wholesale guilt by association.

The boomer generation should be supporting the influx of working taxpayers to fund their retirements, but if it gets them to symbolically take a paycut in entitlement benefits out of spite or patriotism, I'd be all for it..

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd be willing to believe that if you didn't have the posting history that you do. You said this same thing in another thread...

10. Dei

Dei Member

But it was. I don't know how posting history has any bearing on whether one is allowed to make a satirical or racist comment or not.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

One of the many articles listed mentioned them and I used them as a standard that of course Asian and Latin origin people would be impacted, they account for the majority. The USA has had a non-discriminatory immigration policy since 1965 so any mention of ethnicity is just other posters way of calling people who want to talk numbers racist.

H-1B is a route to immigration and should be discussed. If we are actually on topic now the F-1 and H-1 visas create big problems. I only know about STEM so I will go with it.

Let's say after you graduate you consider doing a PhD and your application is against an international students with a masters from another country. A professor knows the F-1 student will work 14 hours a day as RA and domestic student will not. If you drop support for the international student they have to go home, domestic student will go get a great paying job. Who do you prefer to take as a PhD candidate if you are the prof? It is a skewed market.

Now you have a bachelors in CHEE, you can make 100K a year or do slave labor for 20K as a PhD candidate for 5-6 years. The international student does not have this option. Their option is work in their country for much lower wage or come here, earn PhD from american university then have much higher shot for H-1B support. Another skewed market. Both of these add up to less domestic grad school students.

H-1B support is tired to your job (industry). Now the law says you need to pay the same but we also have similar laws about women making the same as men so we see how that goes. This job knows if they fire the international worker, they have to go home. They need a few years before they have permanent residency, you would just easily find another job. Another skewed market, companies easily prefer H-1B employees even with similar cost and legal support.

It's a completely jacked up system that isn't solved by some people's solution like "training or education" which boils down to dumping money in something. It's far more complicated.

#71 Bandwagoner, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Dei likes this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Also with H-1B the company must support you for permanent residency. They can delay this support and I have known people on H-1B for 10 years. They expire after 6 but you can renew.

It's a jacked up system and has to be a part of any legal immigration talk.

13. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

You are a despicable human being.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I for one look forward to a white America where the food is bland and Taco Bell is considered Tex Mex. Yeehaw! Watch out for the Fire hot sauce! It'll get you the next morning! Woo doggy!

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I grew up in the heart land. It was awful. It was like the non-dancing town in footloose.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Yea. Honestly the biggest fear I have in white America is not being able to eat good Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Italian, and Greek food. The thing about alienating all the immigrants is you don't get to enjoy their culture and more importantly their food. I like hotdogs and hamburgers as much as the next guy but spice makes my taste buds happy.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So there is no way the world will be able to function unless the population continues to rise exponentially?

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two ways to grow: Increase productivity and increase population.
    Without growth the debt driven economy would grind to a halt. It wouldn't end, but it could be bad for a while.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well I certainly hope it doesn't take a genius because I'm certainly not speaking to any. If I want to satire Dei, why is that a problem with you? You think I am doing something wrong with what I wrote? By exposing what people like Dei really think?

The difference between me and you is that I know what goes on in these people's minds. I have seen that darkness. And you guys are debating them and buying into their rationalizations. They are racists. And I am not going to p***y-foot around it.

And please, don't patronize me brother. You know nothing about what I do in the real world to make a difference. You shouldn't be so presumptuous. And you know that.

#79 Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, you got played. You took what was clearly sardonic and actually expressed your true racist views.