1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Didn't I tell you? Dynamo after Henry

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BasketballReasons, Jan 30, 2010.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I remember making a thread about the possible arrival of Thierry Henry in the MLS. And, I myself thought it was a pipedream for Houston to even express interest in him. I thought he would be a lock for either New York or the Galaxy. Well it seems that Houston is mentionned in the teams trying to make a push for him.
    Considering Tony Parker is Henry's best friend and lives in San Antonio, could Henry be attracted to Houston?
    The following article is in french, i'll post it then translate it quickly.

My quick resume:
    This is all speculation, but knowing that Houston is involved does make me happy.
    link

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd have a tough time rooting for a cheat like him

3. BasketballReasons

Wow, people need to get over that. I also was pissed when I saw France qualified over Ireland, but the dude just did what was best for his team, I don't see people hate Maradona for what he did, people call him genius for that move lol...

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I am sure Henry is itching to end his career in Houston, Texas since a french guy lives a few hours down the road. Sorry New York & LA - I'll take 610 for the win.

I also heard that Francesco Totti was going to leave Roma for Real Salt Lake since the opening of the big new Olive Garden in Provo.

5. BasketballReasons

Don't kill the messenger sam fisher.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As long as they play in Robertson Stadium, no player with that kind of cache will play for the Dynamo, period.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Austin Aztec FC express interest in Henry as well and ATX is much closer to San Antonio.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Thank you. Also keep in mind that DJ Mbenga of the Lakers is another close friend of Henry's and that makes the Galaxy and Chivas USA an attractive option.
    Nonetheless, because a team ie Houston expresses interest does not mean the interest will be reciprocated. Plus one has to find out what team put a discovery tag on him first.(Another reason I hate some of the front office/league office crap with MLS).

9. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

I also heard that the fact the Houston area has 14 La Madeline restaurants has piqued Henry's interest...

1 person likes this.
  10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How about we get a damn stadium.

11. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

never say never the dynamo want a player that will attract so much attention that the city is compelled to building them a stadium
    with the big international pressence in houston im sure it would be a great deal for both parties
    its all about the benjamin's

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's pretty safe to say "never" if they don't move out of Robertson, simply because if they don't get a deal they might move on to a city that recognizes their value. There's no way a world-class player like Thierry Henry would play in a run-down college football stadium when other venues like Red Bull Arena, Qwest Field, Home Depot Center, etc. exist in MLS.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. People would NOT cheer for someone that dirty:

Can't say anything about that play anymore, but now that I know that the DYNAMO would potentially be scrutinized in plays like that one (so dirty), I don't want him here. :eek:

No U.S. fan would want Oswaldo Sanchez to play for any team in the U.S. after that stupid stunt he pulled in Arizona.

I hate cheaters. They make the rest of us football players look bad. And if you thought it's the same thing as "Maradona's Hand of God", it's not. CLEARLY it wasn't "as clear" as Henry's treachery.

14. Berkmaniac

Berkmaniac Member

Pfff, I 100% think that Henry will not be coming to Houston, but come on now, Henry would be welcomed with open arms if he were to come. He is still one of the best players of the past 10 or so years.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

So... eh, do you want all the Steroid-proven baseball players of the last 10 years in the Astros organization, too? :confused: Just wondering.

16. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I think comparing Henry's handball against Ireland to MLB cheaters is a little off. The handball wasn't premeditated by Henry; it happened in a split second during a match. Juiced baseball players took drugs well beforehand to gain a competitive advantage for the future. Neither is appealing, but Henry isn't nearly as guilty as all of the liars in MLB.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

cheating is cheating

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Former Arsenal forward Thierry Henry has ruled out a move to Major League Soccer side New York Red Bulls for the time being, revealing he is committed to Barcelona until 2011. Henry has been linked with a move to the New York MLS side where it is rumored the French international will see out his career. Speaking to L'Equipe on Friday, the former Arsenal player explained: "There is nothing concrete with New York. For now, I'm linked with Barcelona until 2011."

sport.co.uk

19. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Like i said, not defending Henry. I wanted Ireland to win that game. Also, we're straying from the main point of the thread. I stand by my point that a world-class player with ties to the European game will never come to Houston as long as we play in Robertson.

20. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfVWFn5ygpE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfVWFn5ygpE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The best striker in the last 20 years.