1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Yao ever wear "Ming" on the back of his jersey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Tang, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

It happens. I remember NBA.com used to switch back in forth between the first letter of their family name vs given name, when listing Yao Ming and Yi Jianlian

But as you can see, even the CNT jersey has the family name first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think he wore it as Yao Ming in his first preseason game.

And it's not all Asian countries, it's just China, you oh so ronable one.

And don't cite me Ichiro. He has his first name cause he's a bad ass.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

He did wear "Yao Ming" during preseaon in his rookie year.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

This is true, I swapped business cards with a hot Korean gal... was very confused when I saw the name. Had to ask and embarrass myself.

5. bullardfor3

bullardfor3 Member

I bought a white Yao Ming Rockets jersey at his first regular season home game with the Rockets and it had "Ming" on the back.

6. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

And Vietnam, but they still address each other by first name.

7. Tommyboys

Tommyboys Member

so he shud be ming yao?

8. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Someone at Adidas definitely messed up.

Jeremy Lin would have been named Hao. LHao7 would have been strange.

9. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Yeah right, a bad ass who has his first name on the jersey.

Let me tell you what...my neighbor is even more a bad ass because he can pick his nose with both his index and small finger at the same time.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qn9pHSdllgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those confused about the Ichiro thing in Japan it is also family name first. Most Japanese names though in the US and UK have been rendered following Western standard. In Japan Ichiro Suzuki's name is written as "鈴木 一朗" which is the last name first. So on his jersey yes it is the first name he has listed.

Other Japanese players like Koji Uehara "Uehara" is his last name and that is what he has on his jersey. In Japan he would be addressed as "上原 浩治" (Uehara Koji)

Taiwanese player Chien-Ming Wang (王建民) also went with the Western standard of listing his family name "Wang" last in the US and his Jersey said "CM Wang'

While Jeremy Lin as an America follows western standards in Taiwan and Chinese media he is listed as "林书豪" (Lin Su Hao) Family name first.

12. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Ichiro is the only bad ass in Japan because he decided to put only his first name on his jersey. But I still think my neighbor out-badass Ichiro with his incredible nose picking skill.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i definitely remember seeing his jersey with MING on the back his rookie season..