1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Suns get better or worse?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AggieRocketsFan, Dec 20, 2010.

?

Did the Suns get better or worse?

1. Better

60 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. Worse

36 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Indifferent

33 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. AggieRocketsFan

Players lost: Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkoglu, Earl Clark

Players gained: Vince Carter, Michael Pietrus, Marcin Gortat

What do you think?

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think it was a move to bring in Vince Carter to keep selling tickets for rest of this year, w/ ability to trade Nash, and as seemless as possible rebuilding.

3. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

We'll see once both teams play at least 10 games.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It all depends upon Nash's future with the team.

As long as he's there you can plug in Players X, Y, Z and they'll still produce as long as he's the running that system.

The problem is they've been unable to replace Amare and they're clearly not the same without him. So even with how good Nash is, it would be wise of them to consider moving forward given Nash's advanced age.

In the interim, though -- Gortat is going to look like a stud.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

VC for Hedo gets rid of a disappointing slug and long-term contract for an expiring. HUGE WIN.

J-Rich for Gortat rids them of a very productive player with an expiring in exchange for a long-term piece they definitely need. WIN.

Getting Pietrus for Earl Clark gets them a legitimate rotation player for a scrub. WIN.

Long-term this trade is great for the Suns. Short-term, they will be better if VC is plays decent.

J-Rich was so productive for them and that hurts, but getting Gortat makes it worthwhile. Home run trade for the Suns. Props to Lance Blanks!

6. Tesla

Tesla Member

Gortat moves well, has good hands, can set solid screens, and is long and athletic. He also plays very good defense and is a good rebounder -- both of which he is significantly better at than Amare. What doesn't have is the explosive first step and the mid-range game of Amare, but it won't matter too much with Nash there. I'm not saying he is going to have the same type of scoring numbers that Amare had in Phoenix, but he will be a pretty large interior help on both sides. A very nice upgrade.

Carter and Pietrus should be able to replace Richardson's production. In fact, i believe Pietrus is a better defensive player than Richardson and Carter should be fairly effective with a PG that has court vision.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just saw the poll numbers. Would those of you who say this makes the Suns worse please explain? Thanks.

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

this is how I see it.

9. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Channing Frye and Grant Hill have both evenly helped pick up the load in Stoudemire's absence. Nash is still as good as he ever was; still stackin up the usual double-double.

10. lalala902102001

Gortat is a valueable piece to add to their future. VC and JRich are basically the same player. Getting rid of Turkoglu and his contract is huge. It's a win for them.

11. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

this.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think all 3 teams get better in the trade.

win win win - with Orlando being the possible loser if Gilbert goes headcase on them!

Washington - win. Getting rid of a guy who plays the same position as their 'soon to be franchise player' was a win in and of itself - getting back an excellent 3 point shooter with good size for the 3 spot is a bonus.

Phx gets better by adding a 'go to' guy apart from Nash. Carter can create his own shot in ways that neither Turk nor JRich could.

Orlando gets better by replacing a 'go to guy' in Carter with Arenas, and then bringing in an excellent 3 point shooter (JRich) and a guy who might just thrive (Hedo) - but Hedo is effectively replacing Lewis as a guy 'down on his form'.

Odd trade in that nobody seems to have made out like bandits and nobody seems to have been screwed/ completely salary dumped!

13. aaaa

aaaa Member

I'm thinking the same line as A_3PO.

I wonder how Gortat is going to play like under Nash. I'd love it if Nash is somehow able to "revive" Carter (at least for a little while, until he loses interest).

14. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Nash making Dudley look like a beast. Can't wait to see Gortat

15. jman255

jman255 Member

I think of it as the Magic got worse during the trade. The Suns kinda stayed the same, but they got some good players. Plus that got Hedo out.