1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Houston Texans pull a goofy on Free Agency.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pokemon, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

2. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They have no cap room. The players getting signed now are being overpaid for the most part. I assume they will make some moves once the market calms down.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

ala the stable of PF that Morey accrued, perhaps the Texans should collect a stable of QBs and then find ways to package them off to unlikely trade victims...its really the only logical explanation that I have for Schaub still being on this roster...He apparently has trade value!!! smdh...

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not sure why this is goofy given that the Patriots won a Super Bowl using this exact strategy over 10 years ago. The only question is whether the Texans have the Patriots eye for talent and chemistry.

8. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

Makes sense considering Rich Smith's success at scouting talent.

Oh wait...

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The strategy is the Texans don't give a F that'sth4e strategy. Bob McNair really didn't want to fire Kubiak but he had to due to the pressure of the city and media. At this point I see the texans even worse then they were last year... still cheap towards the wrong players and still paying the wrong people too much money.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Here's hoping O'Brian brought in much better college/pro scouts than what we had. Or maybe we've had good guys scouting getting overruled by Team Kubiak/Phillips. Hard to say.

On paper, can't really fault them for the strategy. When you do the math, their cap space divided up among the roster holes....spreads thin.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought they had around $13 million in cap space, BEFORE reworking any contracts.

12. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

And a large number of open roster spots. They cant spend a large portion of that on one player (I dont think)

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Don't get the knock on Rick Smith for evaluating talent... This team had enough talent to be considered AFC favorites by many last season and it always seems our FAs are scooped up pretty quickly by other teams.

14. Summer Song Giver

Really?

Outside of the top of the draft, when honestly, you should be getting a very good player, he has been a complete failure at adding mid and late round talent to the team. This is a fact: his complete mismanagement of the CAP is also another huge black eye on his General Management of the franchise.

Rick Smith's crowning achievement was beating up on the worst division in the league for two years and then completely folding again when a legit contender to the thrown emerged. Anytime Rick's creation went against a talented opponent they folded like a cheap suit, even at their best they were nothing but pretenders.

Ownership has fostered this type of failure and the fans have lapped it up so I am not expecting a change any time soon.

This team is and will continue to be "Bob's Blunder".
    Enjoy!

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get it. Texans have very little cap space and none of the departures shouldn't be that surprising so far. Fringe starters (Mitchell and Mays, although I do like Earl) and role players mixed with cap casualties (OD)

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well he was going to get fired a few years ago and so he went out and paid big money for Manning and JJ plus keeping some guys and now they have no money.

The CAP isn't magic. You pay the piper now or later

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I heard Charlie Pallilo bashing the Texans' front office yesterday over thier inactivity in free agency so far. I remember thinking: "What the hell do you expect them to do?" Did people really think that they would be big players for guys like Byrd, Ware, Eugene Monroe, Darrelle Revis, etc...

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

organization gun shy after the Reed fiasco

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

FS Chris Clemons and NT B.J. Raji are two moves I would like to see the Texans make.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

people are impatient. they want a quick silver bullet fix and we aren't gonna get it. We will have to find undervalued players. Rick Smith will have to do his job and find a way to make the team better while living in the cap reality that he created for himself. But i never figured we'd make a splash in FA this year.

I do fully expect that we will sign one starting-caliber o-lineman, and one starting-caliber D-lineman. No way BOB wants two rookies starting on both sides of the ball.