1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Rafer Alston do a good job at running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tracyyao01, Sep 26, 2007.

?

did rafer alston run the offense last season?

1. yes

64.2%
  2. no

35.8%
  1. Rockets Dynasty

Jeff Van Gundy gave him what like 45 minutes a game in that Utah series? Just about any GM on the planet would have fired him for that alone.

2. zong

zong Member

To me, Rafer is a OK point gurard, not bad, but he is not smart enough to be very good PG. He could be very good if he is a little bit smart (ball IQ). A great PG is born, not being trained, jusk look at Nash, Kidd. Rafer was just Rafer, will be Rafer again.

3. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

My feelings exactly. The star PGs in the NBA are great because they can score and create their own shot so the defense must honor them and that creates shots for other players. Nash would suck if he couldn't finish at the basket and shoot the way he does. The defense would just back off of him and let him throw up a brick.

Alston is a great back up PG to have because he can get the ball to yao he doesn't turn it over, but he should get around 15 mins a game max. Under JVG Alston was really put in a bad situation because we were forced to shoot to many threes because the offense didn't get us a lot of easy looks.

4. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I see that I had goofed on the second sentence of the second paragraph. I meant to say that a team with Yao and T-Mac should not be like that, which is live and die by the three-point shot.

The only thing I want to add is that for this upcoming season, let's hope the Rockets rely a lot less on the three-point shot than last season.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He didnt run the offense, tmac did, so the answer is NO. he was not capable of doing this, so it was tmac's job.

6. Barkley

Barkley Member

I have to agree.

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

he had a pretty low set of T/O's and a decent number of assists. i just wished he didn't shoot as much but outside of battier/head who else was going to pop up a 3? all that's said and done now so let's go on to looking forward to this season. ;)

8. Barkley

Barkley Member

But when you attepmt your 1st wide open shot and you miss than you attempt your 2nd shot and you miss so you should think before you attempt the 3rd shot if you know that you're cold. Am I right?

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Rafer did a good job of getting the ball over the half court line and then handing it off to McGrady. But I hold my teams' offenses to a little higher standard than that. Granted, I am not sure if Alston has the capabilities to do much more than that so maybe he was doing the best he could. However, I am very glad that we won't have to watch that trainwreck of an offense anymore.

10. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I think the ran the offense well, he just couldn't shoot.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Tmac sometimes miss his first 8 shots and he keeps shooting...

12. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Offense? What offense? Oh, you mean handing the ball off to Mcgrady without turning it over? Yeah, bravo Rafer.

13. Barkley

Barkley Member

Yeah I knew you're gonna write it. Yes that situation happend but Rafer isn't Tracy. It's very important to get Tracy goin' cause he and Yao are the most important part of the team. That's the difference

14. redao

redao Member

I don't think TMAC can get 8 wide-open shots in one game.

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

Well that's another part. T-Mac's quarded a lot stronger than Rafer.

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

So that proves my original point that it's JVG's fault.

17. Barkley

Barkley Member

What? I don't like JVG but I cannot agree. How can it be JVG's fault that T-Mac doesn't get 8 wide open shots a game? I don't understand

18. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

He should have gotten 7 wide shots. :rolleyes:

19. Barkley

Barkley Member

Remember Tracy's our top scorer with Yao:)

20. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Maybe from the stand point that JVG's offense one so one demensional that the defense knew what was coming way ahead of time. Plus, it was hard for T-mac to get that open when he was charged with being the primary ball handler and playmaker for the whole team. Didn't Okur say he could tell what Yao wanted to do just by how he caught the ball from his initial move not that I blame JVG for that too.