1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Rafer Alston do a good job at running the offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tracyyao01, Sep 26, 2007.

?

did rafer alston run the offense last season?

1. yes

64.2%
  2. no

35.8%
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Much of the time Rafer ran the offense last season. On other occasions (especially in crunch time), Tracy did. But it's a stretch to call Rafer a playmaker because that implies he made something happen. What Rafer did well was handle the ball and get it to the right man in scoring position. What he did terrible was shoot the ball. His awful shooting overshadowed his passing because teams backed off of him and baited him into taking the ball towards the basket and missing. If we had another viable PG and had limited Rafer's minutes to 15-20 per game, the hatred against him wouldn't be so strong. He was asked to do more than he was capable of and his flaws were magnified.

Reminds me some of what's happening to Demarcus Faggins of the Texans. He's a nickleback who should NOT be a starter.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The only positive thing that Rafer Alston did for our offense is to bring the ball upcourt on every possession. He was the only one with the ball-handling skills to avoid getting pressed like crazy. (see Luther Head bringing up the ball)

But once they got into the half court set? Absolutely dreadful.

3. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

in my opinion if Rafer was the one who was the primary playmaker and he was the job to create for others.

The Rockets would've won against the Jazz.

Clyde Drexler said Rafer was his sleeper last season for the All-Star game, but he also said mcgrady was a point-forward so i guess it matches. :D

4. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

The game that showed me how important rafer was to our offense is the game where he didnt play (possible injury???) and we were HORRIBLE! yes we may have more competent players now but JVG was horrible as an offensive coach anyone who doesnt see that is Stevie Wonder

5. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

somebody gets me. :D

IMO, JVG was a bad offensive coach because he doesn't know how to use his players very well. Yao and McGrady had to score the very hard way. While Nash makes Amare and Marion easy easy shots.

I don't think Jeff Van gundy knew what Alston was capable of doing, Rafer was limited but he still did a good job.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh, now I get it, to answer the question......NO, Rafer Sucks.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Dont blame him, it's on the coach.

8. DaDakota

The coach wanted him when Sura was hurt. Rafer has never been all that great and is getting worse every year.

Wasn't he ranked like LAST among all starting PGs?

And don't give me his PER stats, he is just sucking at the nipples of our good players to get that rating.

Hell even V-SPan had a better fg% from 2pt range...

Rafer SUX !

DD

9. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

do you know why the coach was mainly the problem?

JVG doesn't know how to use any of his players. Everybody on the team except mcgrady was limited.

However, McGrady is better playing off-ball check out his Magic days.

JVG restricted alston from being the main man making the plays. Alston did a better job feeding yao at times than mcgrady did.

10. DaDakota

Look, if Rafer was all that effective, then why has Morey been DESPERTATLY trying to replace him all summer?

Signed Mike James
    Signed Steve Francis
    Drafted Aaron Brooks.

I mean that is THREE moves to replace one player, if that doesn't tell you all you need to know, I don't know what does.

RAFER SUXOR !

DD

11. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Then why hasn't Morey said he's on the trading block and he'll no longer play?

Aaron Brooks was picked for his talent. Mike James was the really the only thing they had planned. Francis they weren't sure of but the rockets said we'll sign you if you wanna play.

12. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think the problem with Rafer last year was that he played too many minutes without a viable backup. If you lowered his minutes by 4, he would be a good option to run the offense.

It will be interesting to see what the Rockets do with him. My guess is that he'll be be delt around the trade deadline. But I wonder what role hes going to have until then?

13. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

well he was the man running the show. the odd thing about this is he played the most minutes yet he was limited.

14. DaDakota

Oh come on, you can't be seriously asking that question?

If you are trying to trade a player, you talk him up, make him look better than he is...to draw interest.

You don't say.... "Well we know he sucks, will you trade us a decent player for him anyway?"

Common sense....
    He shot his highest percentage in the 4th quarter....which is not saying a lot.....

You people defending Rafer need psychiatric help......he is rated as the WORST PG in the NBA....the WORST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not middle of the pack, not top of the heap....the absolute BUTT end....

If he is the starting PG of the Rockets this year, I will have to lower my expectations.

DD

#54 DaDakota, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  15. tracyyao01

tracyyao01 Member

Rafer is just like Andre Miller. Rafer can create for others and playmake. but he can't create for himself.

His limitations for just not good. He worked well with Sam Mitchell, you just need to give him the basic offense. I'm sure he would do good if he was the primary playmaker for adelman too.

16. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

:eek:

17. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think you underestimate the capacity for NBA GMs to think.

If Morey gets on the phone with some GM and says "Rafer is good guard, we're just going in a different direction with Adelman's offense. You can get an otherwise good NBA starter," the GM on the other end of the phone is thinking:

a) Mike James? then Aaron Brooks? then Steve Francis? It's clear that they don't bleive in him.
    b) Even if they did believe in him they clearly don't need him.
    c) Rafer a good starter? Does Conan O'Brien really think i'm an idiot?

If Morey was really all that concerned about his strategic trade value, he wouldn't have picked up three new guards in the offseason.

18. DaDakota

He is not worried about his strategic value, but some GMs and Coaches think that a particular player might fit their system better.

And he might be better than the other team's current cache of PGs...like Clevland etc.

Rafer's days are numbered, I would be SHOCKED if he is still running the point for the Rockets, his best days are far behind him, and those weren't all that great to begin with.....

He gotsta go...

DD

19. Barkley

Barkley Member

What? Is it on coach really? I don't think so. That's on Rafer.

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I would say he is one of the better 4th string PG's on our team. But of course I could be giving him too much credit.