1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Kobe Bryant quit on the Lakers?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Dec 14, 2009.

?

Did Kobe quit?

1. Yes

61.8%
  2. No

38.2%
  1. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

didnt he quit during the playoffs? (after shaq left la).

2. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

"I quit, I'm done with the Lakers, trade me right now, you guys don't deserve me."

3. blink

blink Contributing Member

lol, he quit. he didnt give his all. seemed like he was frustrated that no one was helping and said fck it. quit the game, trashed his teammates and GM, asked to be traded.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, Kobe attempted to quit on his team. At the end of the day, he didn't, but he was working himself towards that. Fortunately for Kobe, he's one of the best of the best. If the Hall of Fame had a Hall of Fame, he'd be in it.

Tracy might be a Hall of Famer - statistically, he has it, but the lack of playoff success might hold him back depending on how his career finishes up.

Brett Favre is another example of a player who can do the things he does because he is who he is.

Tracy isn't one of those players.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Oh I see... 1) I'm not a T-Mac hater, nor a supporter. 2) I do think Kobe deserved to get some "flak" for that Suns series but to call him a quitter is going overboard....

Yeah, just because of Shaq and Gasol right? He needed Shaq and Gasol yes.... but they needed him just as equally. T-Mac had his chances in 06-07 and in 04-05...

I still don't get why you guys are comparing him to TRACY? This has nothing to do with Tracy...

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kobe is a douche who is obsessed with winning.
    TMac is a slacker who is obsessed with making excuses.

Kobe quit when he tried to prove a point.
    TMac quit when he didn't think he could win.

Kobe has been blessed with playing with some great teams.
    TMac has not... until last year... when he truly blew it.

TheGreat is one of the biggest TMac lovers here.
    ItsMyFault is one of the biggest Kobe lovers here.

7. ItsMyFault

True that... been my only favorite player.... why can't I defend him when people make arrogant and false claims?

8. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Yes, he quit on his teammates during the Phoenix series in the second half. There is no questioning that.

I wouldn't call his trade demand quitting because it was pretty obvious he didn't want out of LA, he just wanted to make a point. Everyone knew he wasn't going anywhere because he goal was essentially to win one without Shaq.

The biggest difference between him and T-Mac is that the guy stands up and takes credit whether he wins or loses. T-Mac is quick to proclaim that he "imposed his will" on a game when they win, but he is also quick to point out that he hasn't been "fortunate" enough throughout his career to play with superstars like Shaq.

The only reason I look at what Kobe did during the Phoenix series differently than T-Mac did in the Toronto games is that I am willing to give everyone a pass the first time around. But when you hear murmurs that T-Mac might have quit on his old Magic team and then to see that. That is a whole different story. With the Kobe situation, he did it and was called out on it, and there was never an instance when I thought he would ever do it again. But with T-Mac, its kind of like, here we go again.

9. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

So, Kobe quit ;)

10. blink

you mean the 06-07 playoffs vs the jazz where, in one game, only 4 players scored? i see what youre saying, the rockets had a lot of help on that team. :confused:

or the 04-05 series where the refs screwed us?

11. ItsMyFault

One game.... speaking of one game... Game 7 against Dallas.. did we get screwed there too?

12. blink

wouldnt have been an issue if it were not for the debauchery that was game 3 and 5.

13. ItsMyFault

Eh... in a refs case... even then... you don't know what the outcome of the game would be. Regardless.. we had a chance, we didn't win the series.

14. blink

youre right, even with the refs against you... you should be able to win if youre a championship team

i mean, look at the lakers in 2002, the refs were against them and they still managed to win with an amazing duo of Kobe/Shaq against the Kings. Oh wait, i think i said that wrong.....

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

This is like when The Game tried to put a dis song on Jay Z.
    Jay Z didn't care cause he's Jay Z and the Game is not.

16. ItsMyFault

Great comparison... and we sure as hell were a championship team weren't we in 05? Undoubtedly could have beat those Suns and those Spurs... man.

Find more excuses...

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sarcasm Sarcasm and more sarcasm

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KOBE =
    [​IMG]

TMAC=
    [​IMG]

Cheer up Sleepy TeeeeMac Oh what can it be?
    to a daydream defender and a drama queeeen???

19. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

difference is he already had multiple championships on his resume. he was also still an effective player arguably one of the best. oh yeah, and he was actually playing the games. put kobe in tmacs place with our team?? no doubt. we win a championship or 2.

20. blink

wasnt your excuse that teams should be able to play through ref biases?

guess you couldnt sense what i was trying to say beyond the superficial sarcasm.

we had a crappy team in 05 (a team you said shouldve beat the favored mavericks) but still shouldve beaten dallas.

i'm trying to compare how even great teams (Kobe/Shaq) sometimes need ref bias to help them win. that's how strongly it can affect a series.