1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dickerson picked to play in Rookie Game!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3, Jan 31, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Well as you all know that this year they have the shick rookie game different. The rookies of last year go up against rookies of this year.

Everyone knew that carter wouldnt be in the game because he is in the real game. So they had to choose a player to replace him and they picked Michael Dickerson!

Mike Bibby
    Michael Dickerson
    Antawn Jamison
    Raef LaFrentz
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Michael Olowokandi
    Paul Pierce
    Jason Williams

Head Coach: Al Attles
    Assistant Coach: Nate Thurmond

AGAINST---------------------------

Elton Brand
    Steve Francis
    Adrian Griffin
    Todd MacCulloch
    Andre Miller
    Lamar Odom
    James Posey
    Wally Szczerbiak

Head Coach: Bill Russell
    Assistant Coach: KC Jones

Do you guys think Cuttino should of been picked or is Dickerson the right choice?

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited January 31, 2000).]

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

My friend, I think they both should be there!

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

3. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I also think LaFrentz should not be in it. He didn't even hardly lace up his shoes last year. Mobley was a 2nd team all rookie!!

4. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

its silly that they both didnt make it
    olowakandi made it? thats a joke
    mobley had a 10 times better season

5. Hydra

Hydra Member

Mobley definately should be on the team, but I think that there are worse players on the list than Dickerson.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The problem is that you can't compare Mobley with 'Kandi or LaFrentz here. Inclusion is also based on the position you play. The draft was weak in centers. It was strong in guards. Do you think Mobley should beat Dickerson, J. Williams, and Bibby?

7. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

bottom line juan, mobley is better than dickerson.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

8. Air Francis

Air Francis Member

I don't think Bibby or Dickerson played any better than Mobley. However, Mobley was not that much better than them and he was only a 2nd round pick. He does not have as good a build or skills as these players which is why he was picked in the second round.

Mobley has shown improvement this year in raw skills, but he is still not a consistent player.

With all that said, I think Mobley has the mental game to end out being better than these players. However, for now I think he should be happy with what he has accomplished and be more professional with his attitude about the all-star game selections. Mobley has been very lucky that he was on a team where he could get so much playing time and learn from veterans like Barkley, Dream and Pippen. He would not have improved this much without that opportunity.

------------------
    Doesn't Rudy know that there are geniuses at clutchcity.net!!

9. TraJ

TraJ Member

If you just look at the numbers, one could be just as easily taken as the other (Mobley and Dickerson). I think it has to do with Dickerson being a first rounder last year (as was said) and the fact that he is a starter on his team (although you could make a case that Mobley should be as well).

10. haven

haven Member

It's not a bad pick either way... they both played well. Dickerson did have better #'s last year, and I think he does this year as well... besides, Mobley was forced to play out of position last year, which probably hurt his chances.

I would hate to see this board if they left Steve Francis off their list [​IMG].

Seriously though, I'm afraid last years group is going to kill Francis and co... Odom and Francis are probably better than anyone on the first list... but after Brand, this years crop seems shallow.

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I have to disagree...there are many good, solid rookies from the draft last year. Some are having injury plagued seasons, however. Trajan Langdon, Andre Miller, Brand, Francis, Odom, Wally Sczerbiak, Kenny Thomas, Jason Terry, Baron Davis, Ron Artest, Laron Profit, Shawn Marion, Vonteego Cummings, Corey Maggette, Rip Hamilton, and Chris Herren have all seen good minutes and made strong contributions to their teams. Several of them are starting. So I think the draft was very deep.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

12. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I think these selections are a result purely of notoriety. You've gotta have (if you're the NBA's marketing division) the first seven guys on the team purely because of their names are known to the casual fan. It sucks, cause it happens every year. Deserving players don't make the team, and guys like David Robinson keep getting all the votes...
    But if you're in charge of the ratings, you don't want guys out there that no one's ever heard of... The All-Star game is all about the casual fan. It doesn't mean a thing...
    As for Dickerson or Mobley, which is kind of the default spot after you got the guys you really want, Dickerson makes more sense, again, because of notoriety...
    Sucks to be Mobley... but that's life...

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Would have been interesting. Mobes on one team and Francis on the other.