1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dickerson may lose starting position...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Isle, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Isle

Isle Member

March of the Euro's continues:

also (since I'm keeping an eye on JWest land):

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Who is this Giricek guy? Was he drafted? The Grizzlies site says they acquired him from the Spurs, but I don't recall the Spurs drafting a guy by this name.

Poor Mike. I always liked him a lot. Hope things get better.

On a different note, I remember when it seemed like everyone on this BBS would've given an arm and a leg for the draft rights to Swift (followed by Miles). He was supposed to be an incredible shot-blocker, big man defender with unreal athleticism. Thank God we didn't win the lottery that year. And to think we got equivalent talent to Swift (#2) with Eddie Griffin (#7) for a handful of first rounders.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If Giricek is all that, then the Griz are loaded at SG. Remember, they also acquired Wesley Person (coming off a stellar year for the Cavs) during the draft. Plus, Battier can always play some SG.

4. tuus

tuus Member

dallas drafted him 1999 #40.
    40. Dallas (from Toronto via Popeye Jones trade): Gordon Giricek 6-5 (Croatia)
    spurs were #57 with manu ginobili.

how he went to spurs i don't recall :(

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you really think that Swift is as good as Eddie??

6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I was thinking in terms of potential at the time of the draft. Swift was hyped to have a much different attitude than Eddie (I remember the word "beast" thrown around a lot). However, in terms of actual skills, Swift was supposed to be a tremendous shot blocker and rebounder with very good athleticism, a little raw offensively, but with potential. I think many of those same traits that we were drooling over in Swift we ended up getting in Eddie. That's what I meant.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What's wrong with Swift? He's still improving. Projects take time.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1609680
    I dunno if this has been mentioned before but how do you get an injury in the right groin, and when did it happen?

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I think Dickerson's job is pretty safe for the moment...Giricek was HORRIBLE last night. He was 1-8, with 5 fouls in 28 mins. :eek:

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I won't argue that 2000 was a weak draft, but I'm a little skeptical of your claim that Swift was drafted as a "project". Do you have anything to back this up or is it just opinion? It seems like trading down would have been a good idea if that's how the Grizz management really felt.

The criticism I have read most often is that Swift is slow (Slo-Mile is the nickname). They surely should have noticed this in a try out. Can't prove it, but I think the Grizz just dropped the ball.

I just don't see Swift as an NBA starter, but he has enough skill, size, & strength to be around for awhile.

Back on topic -

I also think Dickerson is a good player and feel somewhat sorry for his plight. Going East probably won't help either!

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The slow doesn't refer to his speed, he's plenty quick.

It refers to his development-as in he hasn't polished his talent very much.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

when did a Tweener become a Project

13. Matador

Matador Member

He did better tonight, 19 points and 5 boards.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From grizzle staff:

"We can't lose sight of the fact he is young," Lowe said. "There's a chance it will take some time. He's going to have his ups and downs. The important thing is he bounce back from those downs and not be too devastated by disappointments."

"He's young, I want everyone to understand that and not expect immediate gratification," Knight said. "He's an athletic player, he's improving. He has a great shooting touch for a guy his size. He adds an element we need, shot blocking. He moves his feet really well."

From CC.net

"Weaknesses of Stromile Swift

Swift needs some time to develop. He is young and inexperienced and he could stand some time in the weight room. A few lessons in post up passing wouldn't hurt either. "

-------------------------

He was very raw offensively and defensively in the two/three games I saw of him in college. Short story, no one could match up athletically with him, so he never needed to develop moves or secure good defensive position in those games.

Very young.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On MD,

I wish the Rockets could get him back if he's become backup material.

16. RocketsRuuule

RocketsRuuule Member

I think memphis's euro dude is damn good. He is not an all-star just yet...but i was very impressed. He went around his defender everytime when we played him. And they say he can shoot, and the way he was soo fluid with his freethrows, i believe them. His 1-8 didn't really show his ability. that is why i really wanted to see our euro play, because if boki is at least that good, man we are going to be good!!

Come on boki!! i hate seeing all the other teams having success with their euro's...now the rockets need some help too.