1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Deveney] Donatas Motiejunas suing Rockets and NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, May 12, 2017.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

We sure could have used a skilled 7 footer in game 6.

DD

Deuce, Easy, AroundTheWorld and 4 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We got nothing going on anymore. :)

Jontro likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy how this worked out being bad for every party involved. The Rockets really could have used him on the court and DMo screwed himself out of the contract.....though he'll probably get part of that back in the settlement.

Oh well, hopefully we never have another embarrassing situation like this happen again.

Little Bit likes this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Settlement!? For what?

malakas likes this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We could have used him last night...

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

DMo and his former agent are the ones that should be embarrassed. Really don't know the details of what the Rockets did.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's like suing the illegal alien without car insurance that you got into an accident with.

DMo is going after the parties with the money.

8. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lmaoooo didn't he sue the Pistons too? He needs sue his agent

9. basketballholic

I can see we still have a bunch of people who are clueless what really happened here.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have much more $$$$$

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Could of used a big body who can do it all like DoMo

12. H-Town Rockets Guy

He can blame his agent B.J. Armstrong for this. Big Ego and Over confidence ruined his chance in the NBA. He should have taken the 31 million from Rockets. I strongly believed that he would have been a huge help if he was with us this year. Well, Too LATE

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't know my legalese, so .... if the Rockets did no wrong, why would DMo bother suing? And if they did no wrong, what exactly does "settlement" mean? Does "settlement" imply the Rockets did at least some wrong? Or is this the Rockets throwing him a bone after the boneheaded decision?

malakas likes this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Sometimes it's easier to throw money at problems to make them go away. Sometimes the negative attention is just not worth it.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

What's sad is somewhere DD is still trying to convince someone that D-Mo is still that.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I guess, but if it's "open and shut", what kind of problems are there? Usually making problems go away is because of bad publicity. If the Rockets did no wrong, what kind of bad publicity could come of "he made a dumbass mistake"? I don't know. But maybe you're right.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All parties involved should be honestly. DMo and his agent vastly overplayed their hand and it cost him money and the Rockets FO played so many games to where they lost out on a player that could have helped them. Nobody got what they wanted so it was just an all around failure.

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

The entire "they held me as hostage using RFA" thing could become distracting. At the end of the day, we will probably never know. It could be that the Rockets found a loophole when we cancelled the contract we matched and negotiated a new one. Maybe the NBA didn't like that and instead of waiting for the following year, they came down on the Rockets for doing so. That would explain why both Rockets and the NBA are part of the lawsuit. Just speculations though.

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I was a little shaky on the whole thing when it went down...
    Nets offer to give DMo $x
    Rox say 'we'll match" - then they do, but while following the rules negate incentives...
    Dmo is a dumb ass...
    Then Rox give new deal
    Then Rox rescind deal
    but DMo not allowed to go back and take Nets offer - even if they are still willing...
    something doesnt seem right...

if the Rox ultimately decline to sign DMo... then the Nets (who already passed him on a physical) should still be able to... but weren't allowed

Whole thing just struck me as a Morey **** block outta spite...

If those are the rules... it is what it is... but doesn't seem altogether right...

francis 4 prez and JJWhat? like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Cuttino Mobley's lawsuit was more sound than this, and it got thrown out.

@chenjy9 as for publicity,,,aren't you just talking lawsuits in general. The OP article says this is winding down and should be completed soon, and this is the very first publicity we've heard. I think bad press is about 0-1% on this.

In the end, it's an injured player going for a money grab, who proved at NOLA that he wasn't fit to play, and never would have helped an NBA team in the playoffs when he couldn't even beat out TJones and Dante Cunningham for playing time, much less make an MDA shortened roster when he couldn't even run fast breaks for the Pels.

Most ppl here admit to not watching him play at NOLA,,,I did because I wanted to finally also watch Davis more and later Cousins, too.

DMo absolutely sucked,

and really had no business playing much less getting paid more than minimum. He's just going for a money grab this season. Maybe he can finally recover next year, but he proved both DET and HOU and were right for tearing up their contracts, for this season.

malakas, mikol13 and kjayp like this.