1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Destin, florida

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HPD, Jun 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. HPD

HPD Member

Going to Destin this week...leaving Sat...stayn 7 days....at Waterscape Condominiums..

Tell me the good, the bad the ugly about Destin....

Thanks.....

2. pd_

pd_ Member

you'll love it. the sand is the best, water is clear, and just a really chill area. Not a party town so if you're going with kids and family, it's the perfect place

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Never been, but I've only heard good things

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Beautiful beaches. Very family oriented. Like pd___ said....not much of a party destination.

But very relaxing.

5. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

Just head to the Emerald Grand hotel at the bridge and go from there. Awesome food joints all over the strip. If you are a drinker, you have to go to Maguires. Place is a great place to booze and has awesome food too. The famous drink there is the Irish Wake. Try it!

The harborwalk at the Emerald Grand also has jet skis, boat rentals, zip lines and fishing trips. If you rent a boat, hit the water on the weekend and head north of the bridge. I forgot the name of the cove but everyone.....I mean everyone docks out in the bay and they have live music, food and just parties. It is a blast.

Hope that helps. If you need more info, I can hook you up. Just got back from spending 2 months in Fort Walton Beach and lived there 7 years ago. Enjoy. It is a really fun time.

Also, if you want to travel a bit, avoid Ft Walton. Place is a dump. Keep heading east to Pensicola.....it's about 45 minutes but is really nice as well.

6. pd_

pd_ Member

yeah highly suggest renting a pontoon and going to crab island. anchor there and swim/hangout.

we usually rent a pontoon and couple jetskis to go out for a day

7. HPD

HPD Member

Already hav a reservation for mon Luthers rentals. Doing the 4 hr pantoon rental...

Thanks every1 for the replies.....

8. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Some other place we go to (going to Destin for a week next Saturday in fact):

Miller Ale House for beer/drinks
    Stewbie's in Ft Walton for some hole in the wall seafood
    Sarah K's take out /catering for when we want crab cakes - good option for a night when you don't want to cook but stay in
    Cuvee for a decent meal out - excellent happy hour appetizers

Helen back has great pizza - I go to the one on Okaloosa Island

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Not to hijack but any recommendations for a pontoon rental in galveston area?

10. HPD

HPD Member

Helen Back is on our list...several friends metion it...thanks again

11. jay_09

jay_09 Contributing Member

I stayed at the Emerald Grand and loved it. Enjoy the white sand and clear water.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I go to school in Alabama and go down to Destin every so often on weekends and such. Hard to find any bad qualities to it. It's always a great time.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

a lot of good in this thread and no doubt my family loves destin, we go once a year to that area.

the bad, traffic between pensacola and destin is always terrible!!!

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We go to Vero Beach every 3 years but next summer we're going to change it to Destin. I've always heard is was very chill.

15. HPD

HPD Member

Yea i hear the tunnel thru alabama to florida gets bad.....

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If you've got kids, make sure to stop by the National Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I've got two young daughters and even they loved it. Its huge and its Free. They've got kids play areas built out of old planes, Blue Angel cockpits you can sit inside, Old Space Orbiters, and even mock ups of old Korean War camps.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Is Stewbie's the small place on the water with the dollar bills stapled to the walls and ceilings? I've been there a couple of times - its a cool little dive.

18. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Seconded. The Blue Angels have a practice show on June 17th at 11:30. There is a viewing area by the Naval Air Museum.

19. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

No that is McGuires...good bar (don't think they are on the water though)..pretty poor food though...This is actually in Fort Walton and a building....

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

There's also an old naval fort in Pensacola that I remember being a pretty cool place to take the kids. I believe it's called Fort Pickens. Also there's the USS Alabama in Mobile.