1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Despite having the worst coaching staff in history of mankind, we are still 4-4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 14, 2012.

1. JorgePenha

JorgePenha Member

---

This system dont request a playmaker PG like him.

Probably.

This was the reason for neither Lowry or Goran wanted stay....

Its very clear now.

---

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Easy schedule is also part of it. The upcoming road trip will be a good test.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Has the schedule been easy? I would say it's been about average. 2-3 games against bad teams, one game against the #1 favorite to make it to the Finals, and 4-5 games against playoff contenders.

4. JorgePenha

JorgePenha Member

Our only legit win was against the Atlanta - when we weren´t playing this...this...this...Offensive System...ouch

The next 3 games will be tough.

Probably 3 big L...ouch

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

1) Wins against bad teams are still legit wins. You don't go through a teams record and say "This one doesn't count, nope, not this one either..."

2) We may not have won against Portland, Memphis, Denver, or Miami, but we were close in all of those games and our point differential against average/good/great opponents is encouraging.

6. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This.

7. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agree with this. At this stage, we should play our best 5. That means Asik, Smith, and Morris upfront (rotating Parsons in), Harden and Lin in the backcourt. If Morris is shooting well, he is monumentally better than Delfino, so play Morris at the 3 when subbing out Parsons.

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

One big thing I'll give both of those guys--great attitudes and effort. Jeffries had his moments on defense last year as well, the Knicks best interior defender last year aside from Chandler. TD had a great shooting night tonight. Like I mentioned before, if TD can shoot, he will be immensely more valuable. TD can also be an energetic pest on defense against little PG's, which is useful because you just can't play Lin 48 minutes with the way Lin goes hard on every possession, especially defensively.

9. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This is the bottom line. You can win alot of games by playing great team, unselfish defense and rebounding. Asik is great on the interior, and Lin anchors the perimeter defense.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

lolol. So true.

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

One huge thing I don't like about the coaching staff for Lin is that apparently his only "good" shots are 3-pointers and layups. Lin has a great mid-range game that we haven't seen because he seems to obediently follow these orders. You need to take midrange shots to get warmed up AND keep the defense honest.

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Did the coaching staff say this?

13. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I remember seeing this, I think from a quote from Lin (but I'm not 100% certain). Someone posted this on CF as well. Could the poster re-post this please?

14. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

This team takes way too many threes and yet we don't have any good three point shooters on the roster. Doesn't make any sense to play like this.

15. instar

instar Member

exactly, we're ranked about 2 in attempts and near the bottom in made. i don't get it.

16. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

To clear up a misunderstanding. The Rockets do not have outstanding defense. They're ranked 15th in defense. Which is right in the middle. They are ranked 18th in offense. I don't know why people just say they've won because they play great defense. They play "average" defense.

18. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

To bring some perspective here's a complaint of a nuggets fan...the chance would have it George karl did something similar to our Coach

If I could ask George Karl one question it would be...
    Most coaches play their best players, you don't. Why?

In the November 12th Nuggets v. Suns game, George Karl ended the game by not playing a center (shown above via Popcorn Machine). The strategy didn't work.

Here's the play-by-play: Kenneth Faried goes down hard, for a couple minutes lies on the ground in pain, and Javale McGee replaces him. McGee comes in and scores on an alley-oop. A shaken-up Faried replaces McGee. The Nuggets play the last few minutes without Koufos or McGee, Marcin Gortat has his way in the post, and the Suns win.

This kind of player management would be laughably bad if I weren't a Faried and McGee fan.

(Troll Karl h/t Arturo)

http://joshweil.blogspot.com/2012/11/troll-karl-strikes-again.html

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Playin Atlanta in Atanta, Denver, Memphis in Memphis and the Heat is easy?

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

We could be 6-2, 7-1 right now if we had been able to close out the Miami, Denver games and to a lesser extent the Portland game.

We have a talented young team, and once everyone gets their touch back ( Lin & Douglas ) and are familiar with each other playoffs seem a legit chance.