1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think both Watson and Mahomes have the ability to be really great for a long time.

That said, the offensive strategies and capabilities of the two teams is pretty different. The number of times I've seen Mahomes hit a little screen pass where the dude has wide open daylight ahead of him is crazy.

And for that matter, when Watson was tearing up the stat sheet last year, he was in a more offensive forward system.

That said, Mahomes has solid athleticism, crazy arm strength, makes accurate throws even on the move and does a solid job, especially for a rookie, identifying coverages, not making a ton of mistakes, etc.

DreamShook, Nimo and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

And that's not even talking about the O-Line differences and the best tight end in the league right now.

3. Buck Turgidson

I do not understand the hate for Baker Mayfield. He's ****ing good. I know he's an ******* and an Okie, but we're not in college anymore.

King1 likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some people, myself included just can't stand cocky jocks. I don't care how good they are, when they act cocky it is just that arrogance I can't stand. That is why I loved Andre Johnson so much, because even when he was the best in the league he kept his ego in check. Nothing turns me off more than to see some head bobbing show boating arrogance after a play. I don't even like seeing our own players get cocky and showboat or do stupid gestures. As for Mayfield, the whole grabbing his crotch at the crowd thing in college just too it to another level, which added in just being vulgar and crude. Sure, he was just an immature college student, but that doesn't excuse him for being a pig. Guys like that are still pigs after college, because they lack what some may call manners, values, respect, or morals. They say and do what they want, no matter who they offend, or no matter how gross or crude some may think it is. Some people love that kind of mentality, and think it is cute or funny though. To each his own I guess.

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I wish I had that confidence in Watson. If he could throw on the run across his body as much as Mahomes I would probably like him more, instead of running and trying to get a first down and coming up short, or holding it so long and just not throwing the ball and getting sacked. Also, I don't know how much better Watson is than last year, but experience helps. I think Mahomes will get better with experience too. 6 more games is a lot more experience in the first couple years. Sure, his stats might regress, because they are out of the roof right now. I mean few quarterbacks in their entire career have had seasons like his rookie year.

I don't know if throwing a ball behind someone or with the other hand is cocky. I guess that is your opinion. I've seen him do those moves and hit targets as well, and switching hands was to avoid a strip. He's more of a backyard football style player, and pulls out all kinds of unconventional moves, but it has worked this year, and he has hit targets nobody could believe he could have, with pressure all over him, and when scrambling for his life. I don't know how many times he has made circus type moves that work. It's not like he just stands in the pocket with all day to throw, and isn't running around making plays. Honestly though, I guess people see what they want to see. He seems much more humble than Watson to me, as he doesn't make silly little gestures like Watson does when he scores, even though he has scored more than anyone in the league. I mean he has twice as many touchdowns as Watson, and that is a whole lot of points. Trying to compare him to Watson is silly though, because their styles are just apples and oranges. I want to like Watson's style better, but just don't enjoy it as much. But, I hope to see him light up the field in the future with more time under his belt, and more experience. All I do know, is today playing the Jets should be a time for him to light up the scoreboard. This should be a fun game to watch. Maybe we will actually score like 45 points today.
    Go Texans!!!!!!

houstonstime likes this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....throwing across your body is a NO NO as a QB. THE ONLY reason Mahomes gets away with it is that he probably has the strongest arm in the NFL. Eventually, that, no look throws, and throwing with the wrong hand will catch up to you in the NFL. He has ALOT of Brett Farve in his game. Yes.....Aaron Rodgers gets away with that stuff too.......but it does bites him in the ass from time to time.

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Like you said you see what you want to see. Watson doesn't always try to run for the first down, he is under pressure and looking down field trying to make a play. Yes, he holds onto the ball sometimes too long but that is something he can learn to get better at.

Making silly gestures? Now you are just getting nit picky, this isn't 1997 anymore. His celebrations are mild compared to others. If you have read anything about his background or listened to him in interviews you would know he is humble as heck.

Considering the garbage we have had at QB before him, I am thrilled we have someone as talented as him playing QB. I know you like Mahomes better, but Mahomes is a Chief and he is never going to be a Texan. You can keep wishing he was or you can appreciate what the Texans have in Watson.

#887 Chilly_Pete, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    King1 likes this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m expecting a stellar performance from not only D Watson today, but the whole Texans team

King1 likes this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I appreciate that we drafted a QB, and that he has promise to be a real good QB. if he can keep from tearing an ACL for the 3rd time is my biggest concern with him since hes done it twice already at such a young age.

I agree, he isnt near as cocky as some guys. He probably is humble compared to someone like Odell Beckham. I only brought that up because someone mentioned Mahomes was cocky, and Watson acts a lot cockier than Mahomes to me. But, yes, his little gestures are nothing compared to some guys in the league. Thank God we didnt draft cocky pigs like Cleveland did in Manziel and Mayfield.

Chilly_Pete likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This kid has no chance with the OL the Texans have.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Watson doesn't read defenses for crap and holds the ball far too long he is not a great QB at the moment.

DD

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

He wasn't doing that last year. Don't know how that problem seemingly came out of nowhere

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is locking in on Hopkins......not using his relief valves and not using our HUGE advantage at Tight end...

DD

15. Major

Major Member

Watson's problems today are not on the O-Line. Sometimes the defense gets to him quickly - that's true of all QB's and OLs when you're blitzed all the time. But many of today's sacks are of his own making. He's not moving within the pocket, he's not moving out of the pocket away from pressure, and he's not throwing the ball away (even if he gets stuck in the pocket, you can throw it out of bounds toward a receiver or intentionally short of a receiver or whatever). He also makes his sacks much worse by running backwards all the time. It works occasionally, but it also makes a 6 yard sack into a 12 yard drive-killing sack.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dude will be out of the league in 3 years because of injuries.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think the same could have been said about all our quarterbacks before Watson. I mean, this offensive line has been bad for years!!! It makes our offense no fun to watch when you can't even get 30 points against a 4-9 team.

18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's what I meant about apples and oranges. It's funny you mentioned Favre and Rodgers, because that's why I always loved watching those guys play. They do have the same type style as Mahomes, and I guess that's it is so much fun to watch, because of the circus type plays. I've always been Texans first, but have still liked watching quarterbacks like that, who you can never count out, even with a minute left on the clock. Sure, that type of gunslinging mentality can get ugly at times, but can also be so exciting to watch. I just get bored with our safe conservative offense. Maybe that makes me the minority here. It feels weird to be so unexcited about having 10 wins, and I think that is why.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Well said OB

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

I liked the analyst detailing the convo he had with Darnold how he made his reads, 1st read, 2nd read and checkdown, emphasizing on the check down. That's how Watson should operate, maybe a 2.5 read with the corner of his eye. There is a reason he holds on to it. He doesn't trust his line and is anticipating pressure that isn't there. That's what it does. I liked that in the first qtr they moved the pocket for him but then that disappeared when Blue kept getting no gains. This is what we are, pray we hit on a 1st round talent for the o-line.

Checkdowns are your friends.