1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Williams may be traded today (Traded to Kings)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. basketballholic

Understand the trade for Minny. They get a major D player at the 3.

Don't quite understand Sacramento's fascination with Williams as a 3. I have become convinced that Williams needs to play 4 exclusively. He can't defend 3's but he can defend a lot of 4's. And he's a mismatch for opposing teams at the 4 because of his shooting ability. Sac's front office has improved. But I don't know what they're thinking. If this deal goes through perhaps Sac has intentions on clearing out Salmons and one of their other 4/5s?? Can't imagine them moving Patterson. He is Cousins' baby sitter. And Thompson and Hayes are on difficult contracts so their trade values are low.

To the poster that says Williams lacks BBIQ...you couldn't be further from the truth. If he lacks BBIQ then Morey lacks it as well because Williams' has a Rockets-style shot selection...3's and at the rack. Williams is a highly intelligent player.

Mbah A Moute on the other hand is a very underrated defender...a guy that I was considering as a possible trade target for Asik. (I was wondering if possibly we could get him and a first rounder from Sac for Asik.) If this trade goes through then it removes Minny as a possible destination for Thad Young or Evan Turner. So Philly's market for them gets smaller.

If I were Sac, I'd start Williams at the 4 and try to move Salmons/Thompson for a shooting SF. Gay?

1 person likes this.
  2. basketballholic

By the way I was a proponent of Derrick Williams as an upgrade at the 4 spot to DMO/TJones. I still am. I still think when all is said and done that Derrick Williams will have the superior career to both DMo and Jones.

3. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

What about the motor, the hustle? Jones has plenty of both, not so sure for Williams though. But maybe change of scenery is all he needs. Adelman doesn't trust him, so I guess this could be reason he's "down".

4. basketballholic

Jones has only recently (last 9 games) demonstrated motor and hustle. If he keeps it up for a career he'll be very good. I'm taking a wait and see approach on him.

Williams has simply been stuck behind Love for too long in Minny. He's got great bball iq and star level talent. He has superior bbiq to TJones and superior offensive tools to TJones. Defensively I give TJones the nod. I still believe Derrick would be a great fit next to Dwight in our offense. But it appears that ship has sailed Don't know what he's gonna do in Sacramento but they should make him the starting 4...not the starting 3. And they should try to find a 3&D SF to spread the floor for DeMarcus.

Trade is final by the way.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mbah A Moute for Derrick Williams.

There must not have been a big market for Williams. Mbah A Moute is a good defender, but a recent high draft pick should be worth more.

But this is an improvement for the TWolves, and that's not good for the Rockets.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Agree 100%.

Signed,

Gerald Wallace

2 people like this.
  7. basketballholic

LOLOLOLOL

Excellent retort. rep'd

8. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Did a double take. Thought is said Derron Williams.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

So the Kings traded their top 5 pick "project" PF last year for a relatively low upside PF.

Now they're trading for a former #1 overall "project" PF?

That team is just spinning in circles.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Hahahahahah...seriously just stop.

11. Nook

Nook Member

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Really.... come on man. He's been "stuck" behind the Kevin Love that only played 18 games last year, and 55 the year prior??

Derrick Williams has played over 3,000 minutes over the past two seasons. All last season he's played almost exclusively at the 4 spot also. Have a look for yourself-

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willide02/lineups/2013/

Not only has he not produced as a PF for Minnesota, but he also has a salary that pretty much locks the Rockets out of the ability to make additional moves, and costs them Asik at the very least in the deal to make salaries work in the trade.

I know you love Williams alot, and you see something in him that he's never shown before in two years of PT, but you have to come to grips that it would have been a very risky and potential horrible move for the Rockets.

For Sacramento, I dont know what they are doing down there. They just love undersized backup PF's on large contracts. You can say what you want about Morey hording PF's but at least they were almost all on rookie deals.... what Sacramento has now at the PF spot is a ridiculous mis-allocation of funds.

To put it into perspective over the next four years Sacramento will be paying 5 non-starter PF's 91.5 Million dollars, and that's assuming that the Kings DONT bring Patrick Patterson back as well.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The problem with Luc is that he cannot shoot 3s and isn't much of a scorer otherwise, either. In today's NBA a SF without 3 point shooting is a serious detriment to your team. It's basically how Ronnie Brewer ends up on a minimum wage job with no minutes.

14. dobro1229

To be fair #2 pick, and no I dont consider Williams a project PF. I think he's just simply an "Ok" athletic PF who does everything ok, but isn't really elite enough at anything to be an impact player.

His best case scenario would be if he played next to elite players that played uptempo. Still, that team would probably want an upgrade at some point at that position so he'd probably have to come at a valuable veteran contract to be worthwhile to a good team.

His contract, and being drafted #2 has been the downfall of his short career so far. Had he been drafted later in the first round to a good team, he could have carved out a niche somewhere.

15. dobro1229

I dont think Minny really cares about Luc Richard honestly. I would bet they use him to help with their defense off the bench which is putrid, but this deal was simply about cost cutting. They save about 3 million over the next two years, and dont have to deal with Williams' 8+ million dollar qualifying offer in 2015/16. They've seen enough of him now to know that its better to just cut their losses, get back a player that can at least serve a function, and save a couple mil.

16. Carl Herrera

Different management. So, not really the "spinning in circles" as much as just taking a new direction. Who is to say that the current ownership would have traded Robinson, or drafted him even? The decisions are not made by the same guys.

17. Carl Herrera

I don't disagree. Just saying that there is a reason why the Fresh Prince of Cameroon isn't exactly a hot commodity.

18. dobro1229

LOL. Of course.... he's definitely not a quality well rounded rotation player. However on Minny's bench unit, he at least serves a purpose with those players like Shved, Barrea, and soon to be Bud who can't play a lick of defense.

What's sort of mind boggling to me though is why in the world wouldn't Minny trade for Chuck Hayes instead of the Fresh Prince? Was the extra million dollars Minny would have to pay a deal breaker for their cheap A#$es or do the Kings really want to hold him hostage for 2 more years???

You'd have to think Adelman was pulling out the last few hairs he has left on his head when he found out they made this trade and got the Fresh Prince instead of the Chuckwagon... who is one of the last few bigs left in the league who can run his high post sets.

Not that I want the T-Pups to be GOOD in any way, but i was really looking forward to the Chuckwagon playing under Adelman again once I heard yesterday that Sacramento was talking to Minnesota about Derrick Williams... seemed like the obvious trade to make.... stupid me for thinking they would do the logical smart thing here.

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Hmm...I always thought he had athletic David West type potential.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Wolves aren't doing so hot....maybe Adelman's best days are behind him.