1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose turns into Penny Hardaway -- true or false?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eddiewinslow, Apr 29, 2012.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

both were on the path to superstardom, rose already got his mvp and like penny knee problems have begun......does rose ever explode the same way again? Or does he turn into a good above average point guard upon return 17-7 type numbers? I remember thinking penny was gonna be a hall of famer......its sad, I love d rose, I hope he comes back the way CP3 did.....anyways thoughts?

2. AFS

AFS Member

I really want D-Rose to have an awesome career, but I think that this injury is gonna permanently kill his game. He'll lose his first step and leaping ability and no longer be able to get to the basket at will.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Right now I sadly think he's goin that path, his body doesn't seem to be made for the NBA, same likely with Curry. Shame how some of the most intriguing players get struck by injuries, see Brandon Roy or Oden.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

First of all, Penny Hardaway was never as explosive as Rose.

Second, Hardaway also came back earlier than he should have from surgery and that surely contributed to more knee issues later.

And third, Hardaway didn't just blow his knee out, he had progressive issues with it and it just got worse and worse. Sounds more like a Brandon Roy kind of problem and not a freak accident.

5. spysta

spysta Member

Derrick rose will take time and fully recover he will back to putting defenders on skates in no time, he knows that he is an mvp type player because he has a trophy that proves it. He will come back even more of a beast because he will see that athleticism can go at any given time so he will develop an unstoppable mid range game and become a better point guard.

Derrick Rose is no where close to finished.

But shumpert im a little worried about, he doesnt have the success to use as motivation which is a shame because he was one of my favorites. Great Defender so sad.

6. ThaShark316_28

This is all Stern's fault.

Punk ass lockout ****.

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He was perfectly fine before this condensed season. Wilbon mentioned how him and DHoward had played in about 97% of games prior to this season but got worn down with the condensed schedule. If he takes the full time off and doesn't rush back he should be back to his old self by the beginning of the 2013 season.

On a semi side note, has there ever been a season where so many young star players go down? Howard, Rose, Rubio, Aldridge, DWill, Melo, Irving, Horford, Love, and Gallinari all struggled with injuries during the season and a majority of them had to shut it down before the year ended.

8. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Players can recover from acl and mcl injuries and still have most of their explosiveness. Penny had microfracture surgery which is much harder to come back from.

9. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

While ACL injuries are relatively serious for athletes, they are pretty common and many other athletes have recovered from such injuries. I think a lot of people are jumping the gun and assuming the worst for Derrick, but he has couple of items on his side.

First, advances in the medical field have pretty much guaranteed full recovery for athletes these days and secondly, Derrick Rose is still very young. Carl Landry and Baron Davis had both blew out there knees before they even got to the NBA, and nobody questioned their explosiveness when they entered the league. The only thing that Rose really has to worry about is his susceptibility to re-injury of that knee. However, if people are worried about athletes recovering to their original explosiveness after such injuries, rest assured, given his past workaholic approach during the offseason, he should be able to make a full recovery.

If you want to talk about athletes recovering from serious knee/leg injuries and regaining their original explosiveness, all you have to do is look at Blake Griffin's body of work. This guy has a stress fracture in his left knee and then destroyed his kneecap in the same knee and now is back stronger than ever. This is also the same guy that recovered from a sprained (a tear) MCL (medial collateral ligament) back in college in that very same knee. Given the gravity of Blake Griffin's injuries and recovery, it's safe to say that Derrick Rose CAN make a full recovery to his original explosive self, prior to his ACL injury.

While susceptibility to re-injury is a concern, people shouldn't be too overly concerned about Derrick Rose regaining his original explosiveness, given how hard of a worker he is on and off the court. If he were getting micro-fracture surgery done, I would be a bit more skeptical about the well-being of his future, but recent medical advances have made a full recovery possilbe--no, probable for such an injury.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rockets_Texans

naa. d rose will stay healthy

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think he won't return to what he was. Knees mean everything in basketball, and His game is built on athleticism from defense to driving to the rack to his jumper and scoring ability.

12. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

You should tell that to Blake Griffin.

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think he is lucky if he can manage to return to Jason terrys level with more passing.

Griffin can't do any other sport including boxing without athleticism. I can see rose playing in the nfl or even boxing.

14. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

What does Blake Griffin being able to box have anything to do with anything? These two guys play basketball for a living.

The point I am trying to make is that Blake Griffin has come back from FAR more serious injuries to be just as explosive if not MORE explosive than he ever was. And in case you missed it the first time:

While ACL injuries are relatively serious for athletes, they are pretty common and many other athletes have recovered from such injuries. I think a lot of people are jumping the gun and assuming the worst for Derrick, but he has couple of items on his side.

First, advances in the medical field have pretty much guaranteed full recovery for athletes these days and secondly, Derrick Rose is still very young. Carl Landry and Baron Davis had both blew out there knees before they even got to the NBA, and nobody questioned their explosiveness when they entered the league. The only thing that Rose really has to worry about is his susceptibility to re-injury of that knee. However, if people are worried about athletes recovering to their original explosiveness after such injuries, rest assured, given his past workaholic approach during the offseason, he should be able to make a full recovery.

If you want to talk about athletes recovering from serious knee/leg injuries and regaining their original explosiveness, all you have to do is look at Blake Griffin's body of work. This guy has a stress fracture in his left knee and then destroyed his kneecap in the same knee and now is back stronger than ever. This is also the same guy that recovered from a sprained (a tear) MCL (medial collateral ligament) back in college in that very same knee. Given the gravity of Blake Griffin's injuries and recovery, it's safe to say that Derrick Rose CAN make a full recovery to his original explosive self, prior to his ACL injury.

While susceptibility to re-injury is a concern, people shouldn't be too overly concerned about Derrick Rose regaining his original explosiveness, given how hard of a worker he is on and off the court. If he were getting micro-fracture surgery done, I would be a bit more skeptical about the well-being of his future, but recent medical advances have made a full recovery possilbe--no, probable for such an injury.

1 person likes this.
  15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

So griffin got a boo boo and came back. Post the vid

We already knew he was soft

About Baron and Carl, both of them had crazy good work ethic. It's hard to keep that up after you win the lottery and get paid.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The problem is that a Rose-type player needs healthy knees.

When you repair an ACL/MCL, they take part of another muscle to replace it. For example, they took part of my hamstring to replace my torn MCL.

If you keep doing this, the body loses its natural balance. It's also hard or near impossible to rebuild those muscles 100%.

Some people are genetically special and have access to incredible medical facilities. Rose is one of those people. That means he's got a good chance. But he needs to take it more seriously. It's his own fault, it was clear throughout the whole season that he was playing hurt and he took pride in that. To me that's BS, as a leader you have to be smarter about these things so you're there to lead your team in the playoffs. It's clear the injury-plagued compressed season wore on his body, espcially since he was playing out of shape more often than usual.

Sucks. If I had to guess I'd say he'll make it back. The guy's a warrior, and people who are as dedicated as he is usually recover well from injuries.

17. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

I don't know if your drunk or just high as a bird. You need video proof of Blake Griffin missing a year due to a stress fracture and then breaking his left knee cap? Or do you need video evidence of Griffin tearing his MCL? I got a better idea, why don't you just google Blake Griffin and read about it yourself?

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I want video proof of Blake griffin not being a b****. Read the rest of the post.

Terry with better handles and passing is still good.

19. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

What does Blake Griffin being a b**** have anything to do with anything? Point is, he was able to make a full recovery and is as explosive as ever. If Griffin can do it, Rose can too. Rose is a hard worker, so I expect him to come back at full strength. He might have to tweak his game a bit so his knee won't take as much stress as before, but good athletes recover and adapt and I don't think Rose will be any different. Besides, a 90% Derrick Rose is still faster than just about anyone else in this league.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Thanks. Good info.

Just want to point out that Rose is different from Griffin in terms of playing style. Rose does lot of direction change, stop/go, twisting, etc, and therefore puts far more pressue on the knees than Griffin.
    I wonder Rose's injuries have something to do with his playing style. Certain playing style just cannot be sustained thoughout brutal NBA seasons over many years.