1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, May 3, 2009.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Well I assume we are eliminating the possibility that they are going to significantly regress. If they both stay at the level they are at now then Durant > Rose, imo.

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I agree with Rose not being "great" yet. I think he has the potential to be the best in the league. How far he climbs up that totem pole I don't know.

I thought that was what the rest of your post meant, but I didn't want to be presumptuous. I definitely agree with that sentiment, but I don't want to write off what KD does right now for his team like so many around the nation do. He isn't Glenn Robinson. But if Rose does put in the effort and "get it" fairly easily like it seems he will, then I do expect him to surpass KD's impact in not too long.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well with this being Durant's second year and this being Rose's first year we would expect Rose to improve just like Durant.

Judging off how both of their careers look to be headed would you rather build your team around a good/great playmaker or a great scorer?

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wouldn't expect that. Rose to improve? Yes. Rose to improve "just like" Durant? No.

I've already answered that question. KD right now.

And, btw, scoring is making plays.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

When I said improve like Durant I did not mean "literally" I was just saying I expect an improvement.

True scoring is making plays but it is obvious what we mean when we say "scorer" and "playmaker".

6. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

good question, I really want to say D.Rose. yeah, Rose would be my pick. Not many I would take over K.D.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

btw, t_mac1 and Shaud, I'd just like to say props to both of you.

I wasn't intending it, but a lot of posters on the board would have taken my replies as being antagonistic and would have thrown hissy fits over something as trivial as the OP's question. So thanks for the thoughtful, cool and collected discussion.

I honestly can't say there is a wrong answer to the question at this point.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

No doubt it is a very good discussion and you can't go wrong with your answer since they both look like they will have a bright future.

Hopefully OKC will continue to do a good job building around Durant so we can see him come playoff time. I think people don't really know how good he is right now because they don't get to see him unless you have the League Pass.

At first I wasn't buying the Jeff Green pick but now I am liking him more and more to go with Durant.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Right NOW I'd go Durant. But it just seems to me that elite scoring swingmen that average under 3 assists a game dont effect a game as much as elite point guards. But I could be wrong on that hunch

10. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

Co-sign. IMO, Rose v. Durant is more of a philosophical question than a talent question. In other words, the way you want to design your team will determine which player you would want. If you believe in building around PG/C play, you take Rose - 1's like him don't come around too often. On the other hand, if you want to build around a potentially dominant swingman, then you take Durant, build around him and go from there. Talentwise, both show outstanding potential to be top 50 or top 30 players in the league. To me, it's too close to call.

11. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Man Durant anyday of the week. Durant is a proven prolific scorer and will be an offensive juggarnaugt in the future not only that this fool is 6 foot 10 with handles.

12. khimmatramka16

I would pick durant because i can see him going into the NBA's 50 greatest players of all time.. I could see him being top 10 all time...

Rose is going to be WONDERFUL... but i have a feeling KD will be talked about in sentences including players such as Hakeem, Jordan, Magic, Kobe, etc.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'll take the freak of nature.

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I think the OP was asking which freak of nature you'd pick.

Durant is awesome. He has that unlimited range, long limbs and slippery handle that makes him kind of McGrady-like in his offense. I honestly believe that he could become as good a scorer than T-Mac was in Orlando, except he'd do it with his shooting. He isn't as explosive or athletic as the young T-Mac was, but because he's so long, he can still finish relatively well around the hoop. Unfortunately for him, one elite scorer doesn't necessarily equal an elite team.

I believe Rose would be a better centerpiece because he is, as others have mentioned, an amazing specimen who can get in the lane any time he wants and make a play. When he develops that J, defenses are going to have a tougher time staying in front of him. I also like that he looks to get his teammates going, something he no doubt picked up from college ball. Star PG's seem to have a bigger impact on their teams than star wingmen do these days (LeBron being the exception, of course), so I'd pick Rose.

15. rockbox

How is Rose a freak of nature. He's a 6'4" point guard. I can name 10+ players more physically gifted than Rose.

Durant is a 6'10" shooting guard with a 7'4" wingspan that shoots over 40 percent for behind the arc. Durant is a freak of nature in every sense of the phrase.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

based on what, how many star pgs have won the finals the past 10 years? how many have been. nash hasn't, chauncey has and he wasn't really a "star pg". tony parker, yeah, playing with duncan and ginobli.

wade is really the only person that validates that opinion and he wasn't the pg. he however does put up a bunch of assists.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'd love to hear that list of 10 players. No question, KD is the better player at this point. I think both will be superstars at their positiopns for many years.

18. rockbox

Exactly. Basketball is a game historically dominated by freakish physical talents. The last PG to lead his team to a championship was Magic and he was PG in PF body. Physical dominant players win in the NBA and Durant is a freak.

Shaq
    Dream
    MJ
    Magic
    Kareem
    Wilt
    Duncan

19. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Rose is probably the most athletic PG there is in the league. That in itself qualifies him as being a freak of nature (relatively speaking).

Durant, I admit, is more of a unique case. I still don't see him bringing home any sort of championship. In this league, it seems that a good point guard makes a world of difference to any team, and Rose looks like he's ready to explode. Durant, for all his gifts, could just be a better Melo in the end.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Playmakers are, imo, the most important thing in basketball. They are the hardest to find.

Chris Paul, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Tim Duncan, Yao Ming...they all play different positons but they are all playmakers. They make their teammates better. Rose hasn't shown me he will be a great playmaker but he is much further along than Durant.

While Rose has potential to be very good in this regard, i see Durant's ceiling as more of a dominant scorer that lacks playmaking ability for his position...more like the Tony Parker, Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard type.