1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose or Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, May 3, 2009.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Rose.

Looks like he will be an elite PG for years to come and those are hard to come by.

2. natrix964909

natrix964909 Member

KD by a mile. Rose couldn't make a three pointer to save his life.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Durant.

I'm partial to him also because he went to UT

4. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Kevin Durant, we need a closer and a pure scorer and that's Kevin Durant not Derrick Rose. Neither are realistic at getting though. Both are future all-stars and elite players in the league though.

5. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Between a star PG and a star scorer, you always go with the star PG. Rose.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rose is indeed a closer. During the season, there were several games where he coasted until mid-4th quarter and took over the game.

7. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I know he's a rookie, but Rose couldn't make a clutch free throw to save his life.

I'll take Durant. People talk about how scoring wings are easy to find, but he's a high volume scorer who shoots a high percentage. That's pretty tough to get nowadays.

8. Asian Sensation

9. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

Durant has no weaknesses offensively aside from maybe passing. Rose's weakness is his range in shooting.

If you look at most people's rankings on best players in each position. Durant will be higher in the small forward section than Rose is in the PG section. I have Durant as the 3rd best SF in the league, Rose is somewhere in the 5-10 range. He's not Top 5, Top 10 though.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

hard choice, but i don't see durant ever being a playmaker. he's a much better version of carmelo anthony in terms of scoring.

rose has the ability to develop into a top 2-3 playmaker, can still drop 22-23 if he wants when he gets that J, and has the athleticism to defend.

but tough choice, can't go wrong with neither

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

No argument on Durant, but Rose definitely IS a closer. He's also a rookie. As a rookie, Rose is higher up the PG food chain now than KD was among SFs last year.

Like I said, if I had to choose right now, KD by a hair because he's more proven. But give Rose another season and I might change my mind.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I'd say KD. Rose has the potential to get to KD's level, but KD is already there, and there is no guarantee Rose becomes better than what he is right now, not that that isn't damn good already.

13. t_mac1

with his work ethic, there's "no guarantee"? he's only 19/20 btw.

the reason rose is a better pick b/c with scorers, when they have a bad game, the impact isn't as great as a playmaker who has a bad offensive game.

playmakers will ALWAYS have an impact.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Nope, I don't care how great a guy he is, there is not guarantee he will develop the jumper he should have, or ever realize the enormous potential that he does have.

The rest of your post doesn't make any sense at all.

15. t_mac1

rose is nowhere "great" yet. he's shown flashes. and his J is def. better than when he was at memphis so he's def. improving. but again with the work ethic that rose has and how people always say he always looks to improve his game, there's no doubt he'll do it.

the rest of my post refers to the fact that playmakers don't just rely on scoring to make an impact ala a steve nash doens't have to score 20-25 pts to impact on the offensive end. if KD has a bad game offensively, i don't think he'll impact the game much.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One hint that Rose might get better than he is now was his significant improvement during the season, including his jumper.

17. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Rose is super talented, and he is also a team player. This is what I like Rose the most.

18. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

Speaking from a Rockets perspective I would take Rose. Overall though Durant is the man.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well going by that logic there is no guarantee that Durant will get better or stay where he is at.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yes, I realize that, and I do expect improvement. But it's not really something you can quantify. How much will he improve? I don't know. It's hard to say he will get "THIS" much better. But he is fun to watch.