1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Mason to be released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Feb 20, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Titans Expected to Release Mason, Five Others

Titans Expected to Release Mason, Five Others

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sports Network) - The Tennessee Titans (news) are expected to release six players as early as Monday to make room on the team's salary cap.

According to The Tennessean, the Titans will cut receiver Derrick Mason (news), cornerback Samari Rolle (news), defensive tackle Kevin Carter (news), offensive tackle Fred Miller (news), fullback Robert Holcombe (news) and kicker Joe Nedney (news).

The moves are in an attempt to get below the NFL's salary cap by the March 2 deadline. The Titans entered the offseason $27 million over the cap, which was the highest figure in the league.

Mason is the first player in franchise history to post four straight 1,000- yard receiving seasons. Last year, the Michigan State product caught a career- high 96 passes for 1,168 yards with seven touchdowns.

Originally drafted in 1997, Mason, who has spent his entire career with the Oilers/Titans, is scheduled to make $4.7 million this year. In his career, Mason has 453 receptions for 6,114 yards with 37 scores.

Rolle, who is one of the club's top cornerbacks, would have counted for nearly $10 million against the salary cap in 2005 and his release is apparently not linked to his recent arrest on domestic assault charges.

In his career, Rolle has recorded 23 interceptions and one touchdown.

Carter, a 10-year veteran, who has also spent time with the St. Louis Rams (news), has 320 tackles and 86 sacks in his career. The Florida product, who was an integral part of St. Louis' Super Bowl team during the 1999-2000 season, would have had a salary cap figure of just under $14 million, the biggest number on the team.

Miller has started at right tackle for five consecutive seasons, but his cap number of $9.32 million was too high for the team.

Nedney, who will make just over $1 million in base salary, might re-sign with Tennessee. The kicker, who has missed most of the last two years with various injuries, will likely be in training camp to try and win back his job.

The Titans also decided not to exercise their options on the contracts of tight end Shad Meier (news) and wideout Eddie Berlin (news), making both players unrestricted free agents.

Tennessee, meanwhile, is still trying to restructure contracts with several other players, including quarterback Steve McNair (news).

Want a receiver to go with AJ? I'd take Mason in a heartbeat. He'd take all kinds of pressure off AJ and give Carr another Pro Bowl type option.

I also wouldn't mind Fred Miller for the OL.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

And we will still win the division.

3. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

mason would be nice but i think i would rather have rolle, he is a heck of a football player

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The name that stuck out for me was Kevin Carter. I'd rather have him at DE than Walker. He's a little on the old side, but so is Walker. His experience at DT and DE should prepare him well for the Texans 3-4 DE position.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Anybody is better than Gary Walker and his half of a sack.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Let me just say this, "Pass on Kevin Carter".

7. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Imagine Rolle/Drob at the Corners :eek:

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is this some moratorium period on trades in the NFL? Why wouldn't the Titans just try to trade some of these marquee guys instead of just cutting them loose?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you didn't come close to winning the division WITH Mason...what changes do you see that will turn that team into a division winner again. i don't see it. the division is getting tougher, but the Titans are going the other direction.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The Titans will be lucky to win 6 games next season. The Texans are on the rise, The Jags are on the rise, and the Colts are a couple of breaks away from the Super Bowl so the future for the Titans does not look good at all.

11. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Cap penalties. If they trade the guys they are on the hook for their signing bonusses, which may be as much or more than their actual salary. When you cut a guy this early in the offseason it's usually considered respectful (because it gives them plenty of time to find a new team) and you can try to get that guy to give back some of the bonus.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Titans losing their best receiver, Buffalo benching Bledsoe for Losman....all good moves for the schedule next season.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Bennet had sticky hands and Calico is a freak. It aint gonna get easier.

14. MadMax

it isn't just Mason...it's Carter...and Miller....and Rolle...and Nedney. you don't subtract players from a very average team and expect them to necessarily be better the next season.

the Titans will finish last in this division next year, barring some major unforeseen event. they committed to keeping McNair around. if he's the McNair of last year, that's a mistake.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

mason would be a great pick-up, but I don't think he'll be here...Maybe in Dallas as the boys need a quality reciever...

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Life in the NFL is funny. I remember a few years ago when Mason was on the bubble for even making the team as a young veteran. Then he turned into a very productive receiver. Now he is an expensive one.

However, the Titans are deep there. Just last year they sent McCareins to the Jets for a draft pick. Calico missed the whole year. Bennet is a folk hero.

I love McNair, but if he won't restructure, I say let him go. You can't afford to be paying guys now for the season they had three years ago.

Too bad they couldn't work a deal for Mason to SD for Philip Rivers...

17. PhiSlammaJamma

McNair still knows how to win games. You'll see. And we are in good hands even he doesn't. Billy Volek is the all time rated passer in his first 8 starts, the all time passing leader, and touchdown leader in 8 starts, EVER, that includes everyone, EVER. Billy Volek will step right in when McNair retires.

As for the rest of the Titans, sure, lots of questions, but remember we only had three defensive starters not injured last year. The whole team was out. We should be better...even with the losses. Maybe not much. But better.

18. MadMax

Cool. Just lose to us twice again next season, and it will be all good.

19. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

PhiSlammaJamma,
    I admire your positive outlook. You and I are true Titan fans and as hard as it is for me to say this the Titans are going to have another down year before things start turning around. That is really best case scenario.

Floyd Reese is using the Ravens plan the year after they won the Superbowl. The Ravens were $26 million over the cap and cut over 10 high priced veterans. The Texans benefited from this by picking up Jamie Sharper in the Expansion draft.

I think the Titans are dealing with this by taking all their lumps with the cap this off-season. They will be cap-healthy starting next off-season. Not to mention one of the youngest teams in the NFL by next year.

I do not think any team can afford to lose their #1 WR (D. Mase will also be missed for his leadership), #1 Corner (S. Rolle was one of the best cover corners in the league), #2 Corner (A. Dyson is not going to be resigned), our best D-Lineman (K. Carter) two years in a row (J. Kearse the previous year), and our starting Right Tackle (Fred Miller). Although, I have heard that Kevin Carter will redo his contract and sign for a lower figure with the Titans. He just bought a huge amount of land in the Nashville area and loves it in Nashville.

I agree that Drew Bennett stepped up last year. But we have no depth at WR after T. Calico and he is coming off an ACL. So WRs after to be addressed in the draft. After losing our two starting corners, we will have to draft corners (which is good because this draft is deep in corners), an offensive lineman has to be taken fairly high in the draft (keep in mind B. Hopkins our LT only has a year or so left), we need help at linebacker (K. Bullock needs some major help). We need help at safety as well and another running back to complement Chris Brown. We have numerous holes to fill. But our defense needs to be addressed in this draft.

I have complete confidence in the Titans front office as this is how they have primarily built this team. I am hoping that Floyd Reese finds someone to trade down and get additional picks as he did with the Texans last year. That was a great trade down and helped us acquire several key players last year.

Granted we were one of the most injury plagued teams in last year. But it is going to take the Titans at least one year to reload to become competitive. One last thing, I failed to mention. We are not even sure that McNair is coming back. I am fairly confident that he will be back (as he played a key role in recruiting Norm Chow and he would not have had the sternum surgery if he was not looking to continue playing pro football). I am really looking forward to seeing what Norm Chow can do with this offense. I think we still have potential on the offensive side of the ball. It is the defense that can not stop anyone.

As MadMax mentioned our division is very tough. The Colts will continue to be the team to beat, the Texans are young and continue to improve. The Jags are improving as well. So I can see the experts predicting us to finish last. Not that I agree with them as I will keep the faith and hope for the best. Plus the Titans have always played their best as underdogs. I love that role.

I can't wait till April and the draft... ;) Keep the faith!