1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mugrakers, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Well, not really fair when his entire team is overmatched...It would be like giving an NFL QB a college offensive line and college level skill positions...and then facing an NFL defense.

You can only really evaluate so much when the entire surrounding team is getting outmatched and outplayed.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

That's one helluva a cop out. Plenty of "inferior" teams have beat stacked teams in the past w/ solid qb play... Bridgewater vs Florida comes to mind.

3. rezdawg

How is that a cop out? Carr didnt play a great game...but he didnt hurt his team in a game where they were clearly outmatched. I mean, Fresno gives up almost 400 yards of offense to USC in the first half...it's not like USC was worried about the run at all after that point. USC just focuses on playing the pass the 2nd half...which leaves very little room to do anything. That's why you see the check downs, because you're going against a much superior defense that is already expecting the pass in the first place.

Also, that's why Bridgewater is the consensus #1 ranked QB in this draft.

4. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Carr had a bunch of overthrows, and his recievers made some adjustments to his underthrows... the td in the 3rd quarter comes to mind....

Bridgewater went up againist a better defense last year, and schooled them, sometimes great qb play can neutralize and frustrate a team with superior athletes

btw im not that high on bridgewater, but he is miles better than carr

5. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Carr's biggest flaw is his footwork. He has terrible footwork. It's very noticeable even with the full speed of the game. His drop back stride is short and fidgety. He shuffles and hops alt as while. Also throws of the back foot way too much. He also gets happy feet under pressure. Have seem him lay down before a sack countless times. Reminds me of David and Schaub.

He's got talent, but he'll need a lot of work to do well in the NFL.

6. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Jesus, I should proof read before I post next time. Typing with a broken finger just destroyed that post.

7. NickKent

NickKent Member

He sucked today.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Can you just imagine the uproar by Texans fans if the Texans made him the first player picked in the draft.:grin:

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

By that same logic, his stats this year must have been artificially inflated by playing clearly inferior teams. You can only evaluate so much when the entire surrounding team is getting undermatched and underplayed.

Great players up their game against heavy competition. Carr did the opposite: he withered in the spotlight. Pass.

10. rezdawg

Well, yeah, a reason why his numbers are what they are is because when he has a weak team going up against another weak team, he's clearly the best player on the field...that's why when his team has been playing a team of equal caliber, they have had good results.

I wouldnt put much stock into one game...I dont think he withered at all...he just didnt play well enough to overcome the deficit in talent Fresno St had on both sides of the ball.

In 1997, the Vols had a chance at the national championship and Peyton Manning couldnt get it done...they lost 42-17, completely choking. Manning threw for 134 yards...People have bad games, it happens to the best of them.

#90 rezdawg, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Derek Carr would love to be drafted by Texans

Carr will be disappointed if he’s still on the board when the Texans lead off the second round with the No. 33 overall pick. But he’s fully open to becoming the second Carr to QB the Texans. If David’s former team trades down via its No.1 overall selection and Derek’s still on the board when the Texans hold a later pick, the kid who grew up following the Texans will eagerly join them.

“If I am (available in the second round), they’re going to get even more of a chip on my shoulder than there already is,” Carr said. “Absolutely: I’d love to play for the Texans. They have a great team. They have a great offensive line — one of the best tackles in the game (in Duane Brown). I’ve thrown to Andre (Johnson) before, so the timing should be OK.”​

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

hahahahahaha!!!

this is funny considering Derek was talking smack about the Texans not too long ago.

Sorry Derek, "Seat's Taken!!" (By Teddy Bridgewater tyvm) :grin::grin::grin:

13. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Would be an unmitigated disaster, would rather have Manziel than Carr. Geno Smith 2.0 with even worse pocket presence

14. Remii

Remii Member

No thanks... And for no other reason that he's David Carr's lil brother.

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

More than withered, the second he got hit he folded up like a cheap suit

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. msn

msn Member

that's a beautiful pass. are those all 3rd stringers? (please forgive the ignorance of OAK and SEA rosters)

18. supergokuken

supergokuken Rookie

[​IMG] So now can we get VY NOW

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He eyed him all the way. The Lineback rolls back a bit might have had a pick
    [i know the LB was shadowing the RB coming out the back field but . .. ]

Rocket River
    I ain't mad at it

20. likestohypeguy

pointy elbows 2/10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.