1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mugrakers, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're not twins. Most brothers are very different, especially in sports.

2. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

ummm the ability to pass consistently well is a skill and can come from physical tools. You're a clown if you don't think Aaron Rodgers has the physical tools that you want in a quarterback. He's tall, digital, quick, balanced, big arm, and can throw on the move.

How does Andrew Luck not have the physical tools? He was the 1st overall pick because he has every physical tool that you could want in a quarterback.

3. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

From what I've watched it seems like he projects his throws and doesn't have nearly the same vision as other great QB's in the league. He played against pretty weak competition, so I'm interested to see how he fares against USC in their bowl game.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's easy to get the ball out fast when you only have one read to make. Didn't seem like he made progressions though WR's like Bridgewater does, just lock on one WR and gun it. He does seem accurate though so maybe he can learn how to read defenses. It would depend on if he was more dedicated than David was and actually spend time in the film room. It is known that Bridgewater is a student of the game and a film junkie.

He really looks like a David clone to me so I'm gonna pass.

#44 The Real Shady, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. TejasTom

TejasTom Member

I don't care who we ick as long as they don't wear #8.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This would be a PR NIGHTMARE. Suffice to say, the Texans don't need a PR nightmare coming off a 2-14 season.

Besides...didn't David throw for like 74 TDs and -4 INTs his senior year? He was a much better prospect than his brother coming out of Fresno. I'm sure he had some impressive YouTube videos as well.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

/thread

The bridge has been burned. The Carr's don't want us, and we don't want the Carr's. If he ends up a great pro, good for him, but I will not begrudge the Texans for passing on him even if he has a successful career.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I have no issues with picking a David clone...as long as there are some pieces in play to help him succeed. Plus, Derek cares a lot more than David ever did, so you wouldnt have to hear about Derek not putting in the time in the film room.

We could have drafted Andrew Luck instead of David Carr...and Luck would have never developed or had a chance to succeed as a starting QB in the league.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hope they draft him #1 overall. I want to watch the redneck 610'ers turn into cannibals and consume themselves. I don't think their tiny, 1-track minds could handle the load. If you got me Barr/Clowney AND Carr, I'd be all for it.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I completely disagree. Granted, Carr played behind a terrible line...but that wasn't his only problem. Luck could read a defense and go through progressions better in high school than David could in the pros.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If Andrew Luck's line at Stratford was the equivalent of Memorial Junior High kids protecting him, I'd say this comparison holds water. :) That said, I have no idea the talent of the Stratford OL when Luck was there.

12. rezdawg

Sure...but you can't read a defense or go through any progressions when you have less than a second to think. And by the time the Texans came around to building the line, the damage had been done...I don't think many QBs could have survived that onslaught and then moved on to have successful careers.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trade down and get him in the second

Rocket River

14. MadMax

I don't disagree..it was bad. But the line improved while he was there...particularly by his last year...and it didn't matter. The guy held on to the ball too long...he sacked himself by running out of bounds behind the line instead of throwing it away...he didn't put in the time with film. I don't think OL was the difference for him...I don't think it was going to matter anyway given who he was.

15. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

So Davante Adams anyone? Ha.

16. rezdawg

That's where I think he was damaged though...he played scared at that point in his career...whereas, when he first came out, he had a different attitude and mentality. It was all washed away and he became damaged goods.

Look at his year 3 numbers:

7-9 record
    7.6 yards per attempt (which would rank him 8th in the current NFL behind Drew Brees)
    16 TDs and 14 INTs

He had a higher completion percentage and YPA than Andrew Luck has ever had.

Sure, David never amounted to anything, but to think that we didnt ruin his potential would be ignoring the talent he actually had. Im not saying he would have had a better career than Luck, but he certainly could have had a very good career even with his fear of being in the film room.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There were never any rumblings of David not putting in the time in the film room in college. All indications were that David was a can't miss prospect, even as the #1 overall pick. No one questioned us taking him number 1 except a few stragglers who thought Harrington might be the better QB. But even they were saying you can't go wrong with either.

18. MadMax

Why don't his year 3 numbers contradict the point you're making? If he came into the league all excited...and was quickly damaged goods because the Texans couldn't protect him...then why were his year 3 numbers good?

19. rezdawg

That year, he was sacked more than anyone in the league...during the following season, his 4th in the league, he was sacked 20 more times than during his 3rd year...he was sacked 68 times that season. Just to put that in perspective...he was sacked 19 more times than the 2nd place guy.

That was the beginning of the end for him.

20. MadMax

I remember reading analysis at the time that in that last season he was contributing to a high number of his own sacks. That there were a substantial number of them that were "on him."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.