1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derek Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mugrakers, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Everyone is going to be pissed when we pass up on him, and then he turns out to be a franchise type guy.

Damned if we do.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I thought his name was Zavid Carr?

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kinda like how everyone was pissed when we drafted some bum named JJ Watt. Fans are the greatest talent evaluators of all time.

4. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Didn't see how he does under pressure...does he have the ability to scramble?
    He does seem to get the ball out of there fairly quickly.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Is Derek really a better prospect? Or does it only seem that way because we have knowledge of how David's career panned out?

I think that at the time, David was thought of as a better prospect than what Derek is today.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I would probably go with Clowney or Bruce Matthews son bit if they are going to take a QB at this point he seems like the only one worth even a high first round pick

8. showa13

showa13 Member

Not as good of a prospect as Bridgewater. More of a system QB, but still has nice upside. At the end of the day he'll be the 2nd QB taken and most likely a top 12 pick. But IMO Bridgewater > Carr, but unlike alot of people here I want us to take Bridgewater

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn, I had the exact opposite opinion...I thought he was already pretty solid and that video bumped him up a notch for me. He has a cannon, he's accurate with his passes, and he makes great red zone throws (something the Texans have never had in their existence).

10. rezdawg

David was awesome coming out...I think if he had half of an offensive line, his career would have turned out differently. He had all the tools to succeed, but he was put in a position where he was destined to fail.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yes draft him. Then hire Tom Capers, Dom's brother, to be head coach.

12. rezdawg

You're right about that...but what is the better option:

1) Draft Bridgewater with the first pick

2) Trade down with Cleveland for pick #7, #24, 2nd round pick, and 2015 3rd round pick. Draft Derek Carr with #7...get best RT or MLB available with #24. And that will also give us two early 2nd round picks.

With a situation like this, Bridgewater is clearly a better prospect, but by how much? Both QBs can have relatively the same odds of succeeding...but by taking a little bigger gamble with Carr, you are getting some major talent in return.

Basically, Carr + Best RT available at pick 24 + Best MLB available at pick 39 + 2015 3rd round pick....or Teddy Bridgewater.

Listening to sports talk today, if a team really wants Bridgewater, you have to listen to offers...hope some team pulls a Redskins and throws the house at you. Cleveland is a great candidate for being that team since they are dying for a QB...and have Indy's first round pick to sweeten a deal.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I was paying attention. Well before the ball got there, I watched the WR's use their bodies to nudge the CB's. I watched the WR's stop and get up to the high point to make the play. A lot of good body position by the WR to make the catch work. And at times just awful CB play to make the accuracy insignificant. I'm talking more about the deep balls than the back corner throws, but even some of those weren't great

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Interesting. I trust what I saw, but I also know that I'm no scout :) Curious to hear how the combine goes and what the pluses and minuses are on the later scouting reports once they have their full evals

15. Ashes

Ashes Member

Derek Carr is legit. He'll be the top QB prospect after the combine. Has the strongest arm and tightest spiral. Good athlete. Has a lot of fire, and would have a lot to prove here. If we decide to go QB, I'd want Carr. We'll see what the Texans do though. I don't think you can trade down and still grab him either. He'll go in the top 5.

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Just because a guy has the physical tools doesn't mean he will be the better quarterback. Rodgers is the best quarterback in the league, but he doesn't have the physical tools.Kaepernick and RG3 have the physical tools, but they can't pass consistently well to save their lives.

Wilson, Luck, Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Rivers, Romo (yea I said it) don't have the physical tools you want in a quarterback.

Bridgewater has the mental makeup of all of those quarterbacks sans Romo (chokes under pressure). He makes smart decisions, reads the defense very very well, has natural arm strength that can run most of the plays in a playbook. His form is excellent, he is clutch, outstanding work ethic.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

What separates Derek from David? He looks almost like a clone to me. David had all these skills coming into the league but didn't have the mental capacity to be a starting QB in the nfl. Is his brother different?

18. Ashes

Ashes Member

Weird. Rodgers had some damn good physical tools.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You would draft a right tackle that high? Unless you plan on moving Duane brown.

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

A mini-breakdown of the first 13 passes in the video:
    Pass #1 a quick out to the slot WR. Hits him in stride resulting in 8 YAC for a TD.
    Pass #2 corner fade. Pass goes over the defender only where the receiver can make a play. Great touch and ball placement. TD.
    Pass #3 Go route. On the money.
    Pass #4 corner fade. See Pass #2.
    Pass #5 back shoulder fade. On the money.
    pass #6 quick hitch and go. Places the ball over the corner back and under the safety. Hits the receiver in stride resulting in 15 YAC.
    Pass #7 Play action pass. Hits the slot receiver on a Go route over the defender.
    Pass #8. Corner fade. See pass #2.
    Pass #9. Empty backfield. Roll-out right. He throws off of his back foot and hits his slot receiver on a hitch and go. The receiver did slow down a tad here.
    Pass #10 The corner is sitting back about 10 yards. Carr attacks him anyway. Go route. The ball is lobbed over the defender 45 yards down field. The receiver and corner have a hand fight. The ball goes over the defender, the catch is made in stride for 12 YAC and a TD.
    Pass #11. WR screen.
    Pass #12. corner fade.
    Pass #13. Carr scrambles from the grasp of a defender. Sets his feet and then fires the ball 50 yards down the field. Hits the receiver on the numbers.
    Not sure what he could have done better except for passing from his back foot in pass #9.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.