1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denver Trading Nurkic to Portland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Feb 12, 2017.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

1 in modern nba rim protection particularly 'rim protectors' are overrated....rockets have none and still 3rd record in the league and having plumlee another big playmaker will allow them to have 48 minutes of same styleplay, and great bench(!) + 14+ is a bargain for such a versatile player
    2 he was working fine on o but hed be gonner this summer

2. malakas

malakas Member

what do you mean rim protection is overrated? Based on what?
    If you dont' protect the rim and you have also no other center who can do that, then in no way you aren't at a huge disadvantage. Only if you have superb wing defence can your team defensive rating be respectable.

3. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I have the same problem and I was already having a problem telling the difference between Jokic and Nurkic. Jokic apparently is the talneted one.

4. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I don't think the Plumlee apologists need to approach it with kid gloves lol. There are enough of you in this thread suggesting Plumlee is the real get in the deal that it's evenly spli on who won this trade.

My point is really that if Denver "won" this deal, we'll look back in a few years and think it was a 60/40 or maybe 65/35 win. If Portland "won" this deal, we'll look back in a few years and think it was an 85/15 or 80/20 win.

That's what happens when the Portland side gets:

1) The only first rounder in the deal
    2) The asset 5 yrs younger
    3) The asset which is cost controlled for a longer period of time
    4) The buy low side of the deal (Be honest, if this trade happens 6, 12, or 18 mos ago, you're all applying for the Denver GM job b/c you figure even a part-timer would have to be better - right? RIGHT? Exactly.)

I'd submit each of those 4 are objective. Granted, for 20 years, the saying in the Association has been that whichever side got the best player in the trade won the deal. If that's the evaluation criteria the Plumlee's might have it right - for today.

I'm on record as Nurkic>Plumlee by this time next season, but for Portland to win this deal, over time, he doesn't even need to be.

5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I admit I have not been watching the Nuggets or the Blazers and scratched my head at first but after reading this thread and checking their stats it kinda makes sense.

IF Jokic can play the 4 and Plumlee can board it will work out for Denver.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Even those of us who think Plumlee is the better player are a bit confused as to why Denver made this trade. Trading a superfluous center along with a 1st round pick for another center? And one that is hitting free agency to boot? Unless they really think Jokic and Plumlee can play together, something has to give.

And the adage that the team that got the best player in the deal has never been true. It has always depended on a team's objective. Teams trade players away to rebuild. They trade players away for cap space to sign free agents. They trade players away to win championships. Did NY win when they traded half their team for Melo? Did GS lose the Bogut trade to Dallas when they used the cap space it freed up to sign Durant? Did the Lakers lose the Pau Gasol trade because they traded away Marc Gasol? It doesn't matter if you think Pau is better than Marc. Marc could have been the next Dwyane Wade for all they cared. They wanted to win championships in a very short window and Pau helped them win two. That's a win. If trades were always about getting the better player superstars would never be traded.

7. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Jokic is a star and future superstar 5 - if he stays healthy. Why would you put him at the 4 to guard guys with much better lateral movement, driving ability, and shooting ability? If Denver even contemplates this then they are a bunch of goobers and it makes the trade even worse for them.

I don't disagree. I'm just throwing it out there as a way to advocate for the side contra to my own opinion. I can see why if you're evaluating on that basis that you might prefer the Denver haul. But to presume it has "...never been true.." is unwise and shortsighted. And now for the details....

The Celtics won a championship by winning the KG trade and the Ray Allen trade.

The Lakers trade is a bad example for you as 3-4 yrs of peak Pau is outweighed by 10 yrs of Marc but the Lakers don't win their 2 championships without that deal. Therefore another example where the team acquiring the best player in the trade (at the time of the deal) won the deal.

Close to home, the Rockets got the best player in the Drexler deal and they don't repeat without that deal.
    We also won the Harden and McGrady deals - without question.

PHX won the Barkley deal. Lakers won the Shaq deal.

Again, I'm only taking issue with a brief segment of what you said. I'm just validating why the adage exists in the first place. For multiple decades, before analytics and the new CBA-era really came to the fore, it was perceived that if you got the clear-cut best player in the deal then you won the deal.

Apologies in advance for the BR link but,

1. The adage, "Whoever gets the best players wins the trade," needs to be tossed out because of the new CBA. Carrying multiple max-contract players, particularly if you have to trade key players to get them, seems to be detrimental now and harder to recover from.

Those shopping for superstars before the trade deadline need to realize it’s buyer beware.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-recent-blockbuster-trades-who-won-the-trades

8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Then why did they make this trade? Plumlee can't play the 4. Do they really plan on spending a pick and Nurkic for a backup 5?

I guess they were fighting about minutes.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

One very good analysis I read suggested Plumlee is as-if another Jokic and allows Denver to run its very unique offense for 48 minutes a game, suggesting Plumlee had value even if he didn't start. I remember Lamar Odom being paid a lot of money based on his sixth-man role.

#69 Bennie Anders, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Plumlee is a better defender at PF than DMo was,,,imso. He's just as mobile and more athletic.

Whether you believe Plumlee can play the 4 or not, he has been with Portland, teaming up with Miles Leonard. They will play Plumlee and Jovic together. It makes perfectly fine sense from an offensive standpoint ,,, as Jovic plays high post, not to mention Horns is a double high post that Denver will play, as well.

You are making too big a deal about the defensive end. Plumlee is not a plodding Big...he is actually quite mobile and athletic.. Sure, anyone can point out who he can't guard, but there are many PFs who also won't destroy him....hell, we don't have a PF who can hurt Plumlee much.

He won't play PF full-time, but I certainly count on Denver going Plumlee/Jovic some. It will be fun to watch.

Brown Lost It and hakeem94 like this.
  12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Schwing. Shots fired! Shots fired! .....Incidentally, all on target for the big Nurklajuwon. I'm going with Nurklajuwon - until he misses a shot with his new team.

Nurkic out performed Plumlee (adjusted for minutes) across the board except for turnovers - but the margin there was large enough to consider game 1 a draw. #SSS.

The bigger point, beyond the statistical optics, did you SEE Nurkic? Beautiful, feather-like spin move both off drop-steps as well as running full speed. Finishing with both hands. Knocking down a 20 ft J. Leading the break in transition. Water-polo-like one hand catch and outlet to open 3 pt shooters. Very active hands on defense (3 stls in 21 mins). Driving in to and through Gobert for a layup. Good luck getting that, at 7'0" 280 on a cost-controlled rookie deal, for a future second round pick. Horrible deal for Nugs.

I don't care what the Never Nurks thought his statistical decline in Denver indicated. He's 22. Immature. Still relatively new to the country. Went from being a next big thing to inconsistent minutes and DNP's mixed in with a significant knee injury/surgery. If you want to weigh the negative so heavily then I'm not surprised why you'd be down on him. It's a bit detached from the reality we're about to see put on display IMO. Enjoy the show....

(In case you're in to this kind of thing...every single offensive highlight he's being defended by Favors or Gobert. And he did em absolutely filthy. Yeah, it's like THAT bruh...LMFAO @ Denver)

13. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Well not to beat a dead horse, but why do he have to be injured after playing us. (not wishing injury on him)
    Its always the Rockets luck i guess :(:oops:
    Get well soon though Jusuf ...

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

wowsers, Nugs will be Heat west, w/out South Beach.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

...so, add antoher center to the market next summer.