1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Denny's choking/strangulation case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

So the husband is in the company of a law enforcement officer, but he decides to take matters into his own hands? I don't know what the wife does in law enforcement, but I assume she's probably had some training on how to apprehend and control a person.

The husband should have requested that his law enforcement wife handle the drunk guy in the parking lot, and the wife should have recognized that a man was being choked to death.

I would have just ignored the guy in the parking lot, or I would have called 911 and let uniformed officers handle it.

edwardc likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL if they are going for murder then they are just begging to get a not guilty verdict. Manslaughter, maybe but there's absolutely no case for murder.

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, the grand jury has heard a lot more of the facts than you have. So, maybe they know what they are doing. Maybe Thompson and his wife were very much the aggressors. We just don't know much at this point.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Grand juries only hear the specific information the prosecutor wants them to hear or see to get a specific outcome and the bar for moving forward with an indictment is incredibly low. It doesn't mean much to me honestly. Anyway, I suppose we'll hear more about this when it goes to trial, but I wouldn't expect the trial to last very long.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Hahaha, glad they were indicted. Good chance for a plea to something less.

This Trump supporter says screw these hillbillies.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I honestly don't feel anything will happen
    Until I get a conviction . .. this is yawn worthy puppet theater

Rocket River

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The DA doesn't want this to go to trial. The murder charge will be used to have them plea down to a lesser charge, likely manslaughter. My guess is that as part of the agreement, the husband will serve time and the wife will get a suspended sentence.

This is contingent on there not being any smoking gun evidence that makes this a no-brainer case to move to trial (we don't know).

edwardc likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Any drugs or alcohol that may have been in their system has probably run its course. . . . because they did not bother to take that evidence at the time.
    They have had several days to review camera material and coordinate their stories for optimal effect . . .

According to them . . . . the 1st 48 hours are the most important time in an investigation
    they gave them all kinds of time and space to disrupt and circle the wagons

Anyone not affiliated with law enforcement would not have gotten this 'courtesy'
    unless they were well monied.

Rocket River

10. Svpernaut

Agree on all counts, but I still think there will be jail time.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The denny's employees testified and told reporters what they witnessed. Told him to stop. Saw Hernandez turn purple and the Thompson's still refused to stop.

Thompson has MMA training so he knew what he was doing. The Thompson's claim self defense so let them claim it against a murder charge.

Svpernaut likes this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Agreed the husband never should have called uniformed officers the use of a choke hold never should have been used.The wife if she really is a officer she could have held him at gun point till uniformed officers made it to the scene.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

When was it stated that Thompson has MMA training if that is true he will be going to jail.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Come on: it was a white guy versus a brown guy, right?

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Your asking the police to investigate for a crime that officially hadn't happened yet? All they had that night was a possible assault or self defense (remember Hernandez physically punched Thomspon first.). It wasn't a murder investigation that night because he was still alive. He didn't die from his injuries until days later. Thats when it turned to murder.

Because Hernandez attacked Thompson, I would have thought that the charge would've been manslaughter, not murder. Looks like the D.A. is looking to give them wiggle room to plea it down to manslaughter (2 year minimum in prison) or criminally negligent homicide (6 months - 2yrs prison) so they don't have to go to trial. I don't think they'd let him get away with CNH, so I'm thinking it'll be manslaughter.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well yeah, they will, and a murder charge will be infinitely easier to beat than any other charge.....that's my point.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wait a minute. Were you on the grand jury? Did you hear what was presented to them? Who said Hernandez threw the first punch? Who said Hernandez was the attacker? Is this what all of the witnesses have claimed? Or are you just going off what the accused murderer is saying?

18. Svpernaut

Some of us white guys like the brown guys though. Mmm.. tacos!

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Question where was it stated that hernandez punched first.

#39 edwardc, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I think the amount of time he's on top of and choking the victim was the factor.

#40 asianballa23, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017