1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dennis Lindsay on radio 610 this AM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston Native, Aug 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I only caught the very end of it, but he was on with John and Lance early this AM.

Nothing really new. He talked about how international ball was so much different in how the game is played and called by the refs. He stated how pick n rolls and postups were frequently used but isolations were ineffective due to the packed in zones.
    He also thought that refs were somewhat biased against the US.

He did mention that the Rockets biggest need was obviously was at center and that it is "well known that we have had ongoing dialogue with the Bulls." He said talks were progressing nicely but he didn't know if anything would come of it. I don't think he specifically mentioned Deke's name.

He also mentioned they were looking at a couple of free agents (no names mentioned) and that they were weighing the pros and cons of everything.

He also mentioned that having a stop gap center (I got the impression a no name guy) was a possibility to fill in temporarily, but again mentioned no names.

He was of course noncomittal but I thought it was interesting that he said there was "ongoing dialogue with the Bulls."

Anyone else listen in this AM?

Houston Native

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap. We're all starving for news.

3. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

thanks for the somewhat update :D we'll take any info we can get :cool:

4. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also said after the Francis trade that it had created holes in our roster and that they had addressed the point guard problem and now their focus is getting a center. Same stuff we've heard before and already know.

Houston Native

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Thanks for the info! Lets get Mutombo in here and get on with the season! :)

6. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I heard the beginning and missed the second part. He mostly talked about the last 2 second round picks and how they were developing overseas

they have that Baldine guy on a 3-4 year plan - the PG he did not discuss as much

7. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I have a feelin that free agent they're weighing the pros and cons is Keon Clark and that Stop Gap Center is Scott Williams...I hope we can get Deke

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So Chicago -- does this mean:
    a) The Deke - Pike/AG deal is soon to be announced (when CD returns to Houston)?
    b) The Bulls deal grows to 5 or as many as 8 players?
    or
    c) deal's off, go for Clark and/or SWms?

9. silent j

silent j Member

He talked a bit about Badiane and that Greek point guard, Spoony something. He said Spoony was very agressive and could really get into the lane, but made a comment about agressiveness and mistakes that i can't quite remember. He said they were very impressed with Malick's improvement. He's gone from 223 when he was drafted to 238 now. He said he will definately be playing in Germany this year (so please no more "what about Badiane as our back up center" threads). Lindsey said there is no time table on either player making the NBA roster but the organization was happy to have both players.
    j

10. Sane

Sane Member

I just don't understand. Malick has the frame to be an excellent PF, but they need to teach him the NBA game. Man, this guy sounds like a hard worker from everything I've heard or read, but still he's playing in Germany.

11. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

if those international guys can just show him how to secure a defensive rebound, and how to consistently hit a 12 foot jumper. thats all we'll need for about 13 minutes a game.

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

With at least 3 solid PF on the roster for this upcoming season, it will be wise having him play this season in Germany where he will definitely see consistent action.

With at least Weatherspoon likely gone nest season, Badiane would have been ready to continue his developement here come that time. Remember he is only about 19 or 20 years old. He is still a kid.

13. Panda

Panda Member

The Rockets are going for experience and veteran leadership in their role players this offseason. Malick won't provide those things.

14. Sane

Sane Member

I really don't care if he doesn't see a minute on the court. We need him to get used to the NBA life, to get him some NBA practices and have him playing against Yao Ming, Mo Taylor and Juwan Howard...

Seriously. Over 6'10, athletic, long arms, huge hands, hard worker... When has that ever failed in the NBA?

15. outlaw

outlaw Member

Eddie Griffin? OK he wasn't such a hard worker.

16. Sane

Sane Member

I'm pretty sure alick is much more athletic, and definitely a harder worker. Also, I don't think he had as big a wingspan.

Physically, this guys is more gifted than Eddie. Mentally, this guy is more likely to be a success because he's a backup in Germany, yet he continues to work out very hard, putting on strenth continually (is that a word?) since he was drafted.

Griffin, however, played ball in America and had a year in college with much better coaching, so he had a major advantage in that way.

17. dischead

dischead Member

You cant teach natural talent, I dont think their is much chance he can better than Griffin in his rookie year, I hope in wrong.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

If this guy was more gifted than Eddie, he'd be on the team already. This guy is skinny and doesn't have an offensive game. He's got a lot of work ahead of him before he can contribute in the NBA.

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

AKA going to strip bars, parties, drinking, ...maybe he could pull an EG before he even stepped on the court.. :cool:

20. MONON

MONON Member

Sitting on the end of a NBA bench isn't going to give him that work. Playing in Europe may.