1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY DEBATES

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Mar 28, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Bone Zone has spoken.

[​IMG]

2. VanityHalfBlack

I skipped night 2 but NBC only gave my man Yang 2 mins? So 3-5 mins top for July debates?

3. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Yang wasn't aggressive enough. There are those on this board who are complaining of not enough time but let's be honest, was anyone expecting a "fair" shake considering the well-known bias of the media let alone the fact that there are 10 people on the stage? i certainly wasn't.

Hell, if guys like dickenlooper can talk for more than 5 minutes and crazy-ass Marianne can say some memorable **** than Yang shoud've been able to manufacture a few more memorable moments.

His debate prep was poor and it showed, he sort of just went out there and thought the best approach was an organic one. Almost seemed a little timid on the big stage. While I agree being organic is important (especially for direct interviews, which he's great at), you do have to seize the moment, have a few lines/sets that you make sure you squeeze in at some point, and given the opportunity just let loose with a joke/troll that can go viral.

All that being said, with the existence of the internet and the field hopefully slimming down over the next month, if he can just get his national support up than I believe he'll have another really good shot to make a splash.

biff17 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

5. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Swalwell: immature douchebag. He reminded me of bullies back in grade school. Wouldn't surprise me if he had some damaging skeletons in his closet.

Bennet: who?

Gillibrand: annoying and rude. I got the impression that she was a little desperate.

Harris: She did pretty good overall, and had a couple of the strongest moments in the debate. I liked her energy and passion. She'll get a little bump in the polls (assuming you trust the polls). However, I'm still wary and distrustful of her. She has an authenticity issue.

Bernie: He is Mr. "Old Man Yells at Cloud". His delivery is becoming increasingly tired. If there was a much younger and more personable/charismatic/relatable version of Bernie somewhere out there in the world...that person would be quite formidable.

Biden: Sadly, I think the world has passed this dude by. It's 2019 and his mentality and social awareness is stuck in 2009 or even 1999. And his age is a concern...he came across like an old man in decline. I think he's one the biggest losers tonight. He'll probably remain the frontrunner for now, but the gap will close. He may be on a Jeb Bush 2016 trajectory.

Buttigieg: He did a good job tonight, and was the most consistently high performer on the stage. Mayor Pete along with Kamala seemed like the adults in the room. He's able to talk in a calming manner without being boring. He's an affable, easily likable guy...but he just doesn't seem Presidential. He lacks a "fighter" mentality. He seems better suited for a role such as WH Press Secretary. I agree with those who feel that he won't do well with Black voters. I also don't think he'll do much better with Latino voters. Therefore his chances of winning the nomination seem slim.

Yang: He was polite and followed the rules. I can respect that. And he's probably the most intelligent person on that stage. But he barely got a chance to speak! That's NBC/MSNBC's fault far more than Yang's...and it wouldn't surprise me if that is an intentional decision by the peacock network to minimize him. I was getting a bit pissed off at that. That said, Yang does need to be more assertive next time. I disagree with some of his positions, but he does have a number of interesting ideas and thoughts, and they should be heard in front of a large national audience.

Hickenlooper: forgettable.

Marianne Williamson: She was quite entertaining. I'd like her to stick around for a while longer, just for the lulz. Seriously though...she's eccentric and "out there", but she's not dumb and did manage to make a decent point or two.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Democrats totally believe in equality.

dachuda86 likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

A Harris/Buttigieg ticket or vice versa would be an appealing choice and would cover a lot of bases.

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yang is not ready for prime time. He needs a lot of seasoning in all aspects of being a potus. Can't talk just about the economy, and in a way few understand it. My wife, a big supporter of his, was deeply disappointed with his performance.

9. VanityHalfBlack

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Care to elaborate on this?

I was disappointed he didn't get to speak. I was not disappointed when he did speak.

11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

yang has no realistic shot... there are too many candidates... unlucky for him

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He didn't get a chance to said anything and in the few times that he did, he rushed through his sales pitch. It was day and night contrast next to the calm, thoughtful even-toned Mayor Pete. He didn't have much of a chance to begin with but he's pretty much toast now. In American politic, first impression @ the national debate stage is important and he couldn't / didn't deliver.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

NBC should not moderate another debate. On a scale of 1 to 10, i give them a 0.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

He has a better shot than Trump did. Much better.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The way I see it, he didn't even exist last night. His first impression is yet to happen. Unlike other candidates, he has done his homework and plowed the road enough to ensure more opportunities. Last night was somewhere between neutral and a small negative, but it wasn't fatal.

VanityHalfBlack and Amiga like this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Perhaps. But looking at the corralation of poll numbers to minutes spoken, it's obvious that that's how it does work.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's why Yang doesn't have to panic. His polling, donors, and social media numbers are healthy. NBC can sideline him all they want, but he will have his day in the sun regardless.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

LOL, you got a point there about non-existence and 1st impression still to come.

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Maddow and Chuck Todd were insufferable. And tech issues on both nights? Jesus guys.

MojoMan likes this.