1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins: Get 'er done Morey!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sooty, Jan 1, 2012.

?

Should the Rockets pursue DeMarcus Cousins?

1. Yes

538 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. No

237 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Kings will not trade Cousins. They may trade Evans. They may fire Wesphal. They may try to bring in someone who can calm Cousins down, but they won't trade him. You don't trade your 2nd year, top 5 pick center. Even at the risk of going down the ship with the guy, you still have to do it.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:grin: Draft position remains second. Cousins 5th pick. You know why he didn't go up. The same reasons he has a fallout with the coach.

3. cod

cod Member

The Rockets would basically lose a team in the process and in that case Dwight and Deron would rather go play with Dirk who are also in position to add two max contracts.

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

sam_amick Sam Amick
    Cousins told Westphal twice to trade him, as the Kings coach told media, but Kings big man's camp contends it wasn't a legitimate demand.

5. Houston_Rockets

Call me crazy, but between paying fair value for Cousins + Salmons, and overpaying to not get Salmons contract back, I would overpay.

And by overpaying I am saying adding guys like T will, Flynn, Dragic, Hill or Bud

We need to keep our cap flexibility for 2012.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What was your point again? I thought we were just talking to deaf ears......I just said don't sell the farm for him that's all. You said what he could bring to the team, I said what he also could bring to the team, negatives....in a nutshell.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

This is interesting, if we can get Cousins for anyone except Lowry, I think we should do it. Cousins and Lowry would be 2 solid rebuilding pieces (and excellent trade assets). But what would work for both teams?

Is Lee + Patterson + NY pick enough?
    Or do they convert Evans to a SG and ask for Lowry and Patterson? Is he worth that much?

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

sam_amick Sam Amick
    They contend it was responsive, as in "If you don't like me, then trade me now." Westphal-Cousins relationship obviously in dire straits.

9. Mr. Space City

the kings are going to want either lowry, martin, or scola for cousins.

don't think they're gonna take scrubs for him.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not overpaying. That's adding players of marginal value. Hill and Bud have some value of those you listed, but pretty much every team has those types of players.

I am all for trading for Cousins. The problem is you're still a marginal team. But you're a marginal team with at least some hope.

Definitely. I wouldn't at this moment trade Lowry unless you were clearly getting back better in return. It seems obvious to trade Scola, since they seem to have more PF prospects, and Scola is older and less athletic.... but, either or. Martin is a great players, super efficient, and awesome scorer. But plays no defense, and "scorers" seem to be findable. Moreover, Kings fans and ownership might be happy to have KMart back.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

What realistic shot at the big FAs do we have? If we can get a young big with upside, then we do it within reason.

Scola, Flynn, Bud, Ny pick, and a future 1st rd with top 10-protection for Cousins and Salmons

Thabeet's contract expires, Sammy has only 1.5 guaranteed next year (team option), Dragic contract expires, and T-will, Hill, and Flynn's contracts expire if their team option aren't picked up. So we would have plenty of cap space to operate anyway.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No Lowry, that's it, anything else I would trade him for

13. Houston_Rockets

Considering that IMO Scola for Salmons + Cousins is fair value, so everything we add is "overpaying"

Adding value to the Scola package seems more appropriate.

I am not on the boat to go bankrupt for Cousins and lose our flexibility going forward that is 4sure.

14. JayZ750

Here's a 2012 free agent summary. It's Deron Williams, Dwight and crap. Thre's some other good players, but they are all restricted...http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agents

15. opticon

opticon Member

Lowry is a special player I think you have to keep him. We where not willing to give him up for Gasol I doubt he would be on the table for this trade.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Somehow if you can show that he has all the tools in the world to get us to the promised land, leading us past the 2nd round consecutively I will give you a go to sell half of our crops. Fair deal? There is no other risk than putting up with the drama and hope he doesn't ruin the chemistry.

17. JayZ750

Well... it's your opinion, so fair enough.

As for cap flexibility, see above. Who, exactly, do you see the Rockets signing?

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

You can build a team around Lowry and Cousins. That eliminates the need for clearing cap space for Howard or Williams.

If you want to try to get into the lottery for Barnes then go for it.

Lowry
    Martin
    Barnes
    Patterson
    Cousins

Salty starting 5.

19. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

He isn't worth lowry AND patterson. He isn't even worth lowry. Id take my chances with hill developing rather than trade lowry. The first one is definitely enough. Although I would prefer to keep ppat (ppat/cousins played together in kansas) I would take a chance on cousins. He has the potential to be a top center in the league and kmac is the coach to get him there. Maybe something like cousins/salmons for lee/ppat/hill and pick or for lee/hill/twill picks could work.

20. valorita

valorita Member

No doubt that Morey would give his left nut to get Cousins as he is a legitimate big with high potential. Seeing that he was willing to trade Scola/Martin/Dragic+pick for Pau and Nene...