1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins and Greg Monroe

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Petey-N-Htown, Jun 12, 2010.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Things I noticed:

Favors has that hanging jumper that's very much like Landry's shot..the only problem I see is that he doesn't have the same fade or height on his jump like Landry does. Of course people will say "it's because he's taller than Landry stupid!" but a PF that has a hanging jumper that doesn't get much elevation on his shot is asking for trouble in the NBA.

I don't know why some on here want to compare Cousins to Oliver Miller since the kid isn't all that fat. Sure he's heavier-looking than what NBA PFs should be but there hasn't been an NBA rookie that has came in physically built (i.e. ripped) for the NBA since David Robinson. Some time in the training room will do him just fine.

2. University Blue

Favors looks like a taller Ariza; and more athletic and quicker than Cousins. Would NJ take Hill and #14?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Big players (from KG to even Shaq) gain additional weight and fill out after they join the NBA. That's just the laws of nature. Nobody is expecting Cousins to be ripped, but he's clearly got a lot more fat on him than 95% of rookies. He's got a big challenge ahead of him staying as "trim" as he is. He will NEVER be ripped or anything close to it.

Count me in the group that has serious concerns about Cousins weight. He must be disciplined in what he eats for the next several years or serious problems lie ahead.

4. steddinotayto

It's not impossible for him to come in and, in a few years, be a leaner ballplayer. Didn't Al Jefferson lose a lot of his fat after his first year in Minnesota?

I understand that NBA players do gain more weight the longer they play in the NBA but to write off an 18 year old who's probably been dining the typical college-student food (i.e. junk food) is a bit much. After all, Cousins is nowhere near the size of

Oliver Miller:

[​IMG]

when he was a rookie.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nobody said it was impossible. I'm talking probable and likely. Cousins could be an exception. I'm also not writing him off. Don't waste your time arguing against a straw man. The point is there are very tangible reasons to doubt Cousins.

As much as you and some others like the guy, you have to reasonable and admit it is highly doubtful Cousins will be "leaner" in a few years than he is now.

6. steddinotayto

Well I'm optimistic that he can follow another "Wow he's big but his conditioning is very questionable" big man, Andrew Bynum, and get into better shape. If not as a Rocket, as an NBA player.

7. Chamillionaire

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

The ideal scenario for us is to pick up either Sacramento's pick (they are shopping it and we've always been good trading partners) or GoldenState's (apparently also trying to move it). Because DeMarcus will not slip past these two, I can guarantee.
    No team is r****ded enough to let someone with his abilities pass even pick #5.

I could see Sacramento being interested in Chase Budinger/Jordan Hill and Shane Battier, probably might need to add a future 1st though.

9. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Cousins being compared to Oliver Miller, for now is complete joke. Cousins is a completely different level of player. Miller never had this kind of potential.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xAz2zw_5tto&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xAz2zw_5tto&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I know he doesn't blow any one away with his athleticism, but don't let that fool ya'h ... this kid has an insanely high skill level ...

--RB

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Monroe is the perfect big for a Princeton offense. I wonder how his defense will be?

3-point range eventually?

I like that he relies less on his hops and more on his intelligence. He will have a long career...

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

The question isn't whether Cousins is fat. Yeah, he is, and he's likely never to look like Karl Malone. But there's a difference between being chubby and being Oliver Miller or other fat guys who ate themselves out of the league.

You can be a bit chubby and still be a very good player. Not optimal, but workable. Just like Kevin Martin's workable even though he's too thin. Or that that Aaron Brooks was workable even though he was both undersized AND not a pure point.

Is Cousins the optimal prospect? No. But then again, if he showed up to workouts 100% fit, he'd be thought of as #2 or even #1 pick in the draft. Rather than us praying he might fall through the cracks.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

The concern comes from the fact that Cousins has been trying to lose the fat. Its one thing if Cousins didn't do anything on his weight, but all report say he tried his best to slim down for the draft.

"The number that caused some scouts to cringe was Cousins’ body fat, which measured 16.4 percent, the combine’s second worst, despite Cousins saying he’d been working hard at dieting since Kentucky’s season ended, eating salads and seafood only."

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/cousins_100614.html?rss=true

Yeah...you eat only salads and you still manage to end up as the 2nd fattest dude in draftexpress' entire database? Please tell me how exactly is he gonna slim down when he has guaranteed millions in the bank? His height enabled him to dominate in college, his overweight ass won't be the same in the NBA. You bring up Andrew Bynum as an example, but:

1. Bynum isn't as fat as Cousins
    2. Bynum hasn't exactly set the world on fire

I guess Cousins might turn out to be a decent player, but I'm starting to think he doesn't have the work ethic required to live up to his draft pick.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

SpearsNBAYahoo

Sources say G Monroe had unimpressive workout for Warriors & didn't distance himself vs StMarys Samhan. Cousins or Udo to GS instead@ draft?

1 person likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

gswscribe: I heard same thing @SpearsNBAYahoo: Sources say Monroe had unimpressive workout for Warriors

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Just from the video above, his lack of athleticism seems to be obvious. I always viewed him as a PF.. but that has now shifted to a C. Leading up the draft, there are tons of smoke screens.. maybe this is the Warriors trying to get Sacramento to pass on him.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I never used the Bynum comparison. Nor do I give much of a damn about Lakers players in general. Usually when i think of awesome fat players in the NBA, I think of the Chuckster, who also happened to be undersized too. When you got skillz, you got skillz.

As for Cousins trying to lose weight for the combine, surely you don't believe that. Or if he did, he was pretty much going about it the wrong way. So either his training regiment was stupid, or he's trying to lie his way out of it like a normal teenager. Regardless, it's a knock on his maturity and real life IQ. Problems? Yes. Overly concerned about it? No.

As I said before, if Cousins truly did "everything right", Philly would be looking at him with the #2 pick, and NJ would not let him slip past #3. Hence, it's actually favorable for the Rockets, assuming Morey wants him, that Cousins has gazillion red flags. This is the only way top level prospects drop.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

From what I've heard is that he is slimming down. He was just way fatter than the other players at the end of the season.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

remember when the nba couldn't decide is beasley or rose should be the #1 pick? riley kept saying how beasley is the best player in the draft, trying to get the bulls to go with him over rose. funny how the guy he supposedly liked better landed in his lap and he wasn't happy about it. lol

good call on the smokescreen.

20. DLRoxFan92

DLRoxFan92 Member

Why not to go after DeMarcus Cousins:

You don't sleep with your Cousins do you?