1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defund the Cops?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B@ffled, Jun 4, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Supposedly they want to do away with all of it.
    So if I’m a criminal, Minneapolis here I come.

oh a prince guitar ? Sure who’s going to stop me ?

B@ffled likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

As i mentioned before
    People with families
    People with small businesses
    Corporations
    Will leave if they don’t have protection

give the money to the poor people? What are they going to do with it besides get robbed cause there’s no police
    This is the dumbest thing I’ve heard in awhile

Like you even have police in grand theft auto v

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

In the words of bigtexxx and TJ, I will wait for all the facts and proposals to come in before making a decision on the MPD situation. Getting rid of everything completely without having a reasonable replacement plan is clearly asinine.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

this has nothing to do with politics, it's just stupidity and human nature.

look at San Francisco, they let petty crime go and shoplifting, car break-ins, people shooting up in the middle of the day is regular
    This is where the richest people in America live with rents costing $3000 for a 500 sq apartment.

Reforming the police is a better idea.

I know Robocop was a movie, but if a huge city like Minneapolis has no police force, that would make Old Detroit look like Paradise City

no Robocop to save their ass

6. bobrek

This is from one of the council members:

"Later that night Ellison talked to KARE 11's Chris Hrapsky about how this would work.

"We have to start that discussion somehow," Ellison said. "Today was the beginning of that discussion. We’re obviously not going to hit the eject button without a plan. But if we had come forward with some plan that we had drafted in the last 10 days, I think that the community would have universally rejected that. And so today was about us letting everyone know this is our intention, these are the reasons why."

City Council said it would start defunding the police department within the next weeks and months. It also said finding a viable replacement could take up to a year. When asked whether council would begin to defund the police department without also having a new form of public safety in place at the same time, Ellison said "absolutely not."

"Defunding MPD, by the time we’re ready to do that, we will have a fully formed new public safety strategy in place," Ellison said. "There are things that we're going to have to do in the next couple of weeks and months, right? We've got the budget coming up. We've got this huge budget shortfall because of coronavirus. We also have other public safety strategies that are not the police that we've sort of failed to fund but they do work. Those are things that we can kind of get putting our resources behind right away. But you're right. The work of creating a whole new safety apparatus is going to take some time."

Nook likes this.
  7. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Good point and good example. It's unclear what is meant and it probably means something else to different groups. The MN mayor got run out off the scene for refusing to say he supported defunding. A clear definition is obviously needed.

bobrek likes this.
  8. bobrek

Too many people in politics don't know how to answer questions on their feet.

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

if Minneapolis was troubled that outside forces came in for the looting and violence
    wait til they have no police

it's even better than grand theft auto

10. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Of course the rhetoric being used is going to result in actual police men and women revolting. From their perspective, why would anyone choose to put their life on the line for a community who is ungrateful and hostile?

11. tinman

Supporting Member

sweet does that mean if a criminal wants to take her house and money they can just do that.
    hell maybe they can keep her around as a hostage and make her mow the lawn.

does this think this the village from a M Night Shamalan movie?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

This happened in Robocop when police went on strike.

This time Robocop won't save this city.

The only good thing is that this will unite all races. Smart Black and White and other people with brains would leave.

B@ffled likes this.
  13. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

In time, Robocop may be the answer....lol.

tinman likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

If I'm a drug cartel, I'd just move to Minneapolis.
    what happens when they send social services instead of the police to stop me?
    I'd just pull out my AK47

this is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of in my life

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Programmers will then be accused of being racist. Robots are not born racist, they are programmed that way.

I actually want to see this since it's not in the city where I live. It will be interesting to see what happens. Could be like the wild west with everyone strapped.

B@ffled likes this.
  16. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Corruption always finds its way into power. Don't forget about the hackers.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Also how's this going to stop racism?

All those white supremacists have guns
    And in the gangs , criminals, vigilantes

oh genius plan

18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Stay tuned. You'll probably be repeating your last statement a couple of times in the next few months.

19. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'd buy a box load of Chinese stars and nunchucks but they're made in China and I'm trying to only buy American at the moment ...if it's convenient. I'd love to see an armed, angry gang try to approach my house/fortress when the Chinese Starts are soft tossed their way. My arm isn't what it used to be. I'd have to put some arch into it.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

With the existing one and replacing it