1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive rebounding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Mar 22, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would say that he has been an average center, we are still winning games. If all we needed were an average center I would be happy with him. But we want to compete for titles, and to do that you need guys that are better than average. I think he is a more than capable backup center.

His rebounding numbers didn't start collapsing until here recently. As i said in my last post, I think fatigue is playing a big part.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

10 out of the last 11 losses since the new year are games in which D-Mo has had 4 or less rebounds.

I'd say there is an alarming trend that when he doesn't rebound, the Rockets are losing games. Fatigue.... I dunno. I think the rebounding conundrum goes deeper than that.

Yes he has some good rebounding games which skew his overall numbers quite a bit. Which makes it all the more frustrating. Why can't this guy just consistently rebound? Its his one major flaw along with FT shooting, and maybe a pick and pop game. Its been that way at least with the rebounding since he was playing over in Europe.

That being said, yeah he's still going to be considered an average center if he's labelled as one, but as BobbytheJopatmc pointed out, he's probably going to hit a higher ceiling laying off the grind and calling himself a PF playing next to a true rim protector/rebounding big like Dwight who can do that for him.

Maybe knowing this its not really D-Mo's fault that he hasn't given them what they need in that realm. I'm just trying to point out that we don't have to hide the fact that this is a major issue for this team, and it doesn't necessarily make you a non D-Mo fan to be honest about it.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Over the last 14 games he is rebounding at the worst rate of his career (6 per 36).

Over the 19 games prior he averaged 8.4 per 36, last season he averaged 8.5 per 36. It's hard for me to view that as a coincidence. IMO he's a mediocre rebounder who's tired to boot.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And that's the point of the thread!

We have one of the all-time greats in terms of defensive rebounding (as compared to his peers) coming back very soon. Let's not become obsessed with whether DMo can, or cannot, rebound!?!

The major area we are struggling in currently is about to become a major strength for us.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

dmo built his game to be a pf in the nba. he's strong enough for pf, not center.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, which is why when he goes back to his natural position starting at PF next to Dwight fairly soon, I expect things to be a LOT better.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/6464/donatas-motiejunas
    look at his rebounding numbers as a center and forward. 6.2 as a forward, 5.2 as a center. 6 isnt great but its about the average for pfs. this is also his first year getting heavy minutes. he's doign what is expected of him, thats all u can ask for.

the center position is ruining his season averages! dwight couldnt come back any sooner

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

OUr rebounding is terrible since we have 0 good rebounders (except for Dorsey and in the few minutes he plays you see him creating second chances for us, but he just is not a player you want us to play 30 minutes).

Many people complain about DMo (and rightfully so) that he is a bad rebounder, the problem is that Jones and Smith are also pretty bad rebounders. We need Dwight back, but i think we can have a successfull play off run with Dwight being back and getting those rebounds.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jones and Smith might qualify as average rebounders at the 4 spot, but with either of those guys, or Dmo manning the 5 we struggle on the defensive glass.

Starting to become optimistic about the post season with D12 controlling the boards. Feel lkke we have done a fantastic job of treading water the last month.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think it is amazing that while we are missing our second best player for almost the entire season we are still 3rd in the west.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I compared DMo to KLove once
    People said I am crazy because KLOVE ACTUALLY REBOUNDS

If KLove can do it .. why can DMo not?

Is KLove a Center?

Rocket River

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

D-Mo has zero aggression when fighting for boards, which combined with his lack of explosion and meh wingspan makes him horribad at rebounding.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The difference between Love and Motiejunas is meanness. Kevin Love stomped Scola's face. I can't imagine DMo doing that to anyone.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is actually one of our problems when Dwight was out.

When our rebounding ability is so weak, everyone needs to collapse back for rebounding, so you will see our guards will get under the screen more and let other teams to take open mid range jumpers, because we do not want them to penetrate and give up lobs or easy put backs.

Long shot will be most likely resulting on long rebounds, which will lead to more 50/50 balls to fight for and less chance for big guys rebounding.

This is the gamble the Rox took to hide our weakness but at the same time, also weakening our defense.

And since our guards and collapsing inside more, our fast break chances will also be less than before.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

u compared an average big to a all star big :confused: . average rebounds for pfs is at 6-7. love isnt the average rebounding big

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Klove has underrated strength. That big booty can box you out

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Yes I am!!!
    I have HIGH Expectations for that DMo kid!!

Rocket River

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The answer to the question "How much of that is due to Dwight" can be found here.

http://www.nbawowy.com