1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive Inside Presence 4 > Stretch 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Feb 1, 2013.

1. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

we need kevin mchale at the 4

2. brick

brick Member

Well said. You don't need a stretch 4 to camp outside the 3pt line. The coaches seem to allow 2Pat to shoot midrange 2's during recent games, which greatly improves his efficiency as well as opens up the paint. They should have used 2Pat this way from the beginning.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Patterson played this way for 2+ seasons. The 3pt experiment lasted maybe 20 games or so. But even still, he's a stretch 4 on offense because he doesn't play inside.

4. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

at least he is something on offence :)

5. andersongo

andersongo Member

KG made a career out of shooting mid range jumpers. A mid-range shot is not an inefficient one if you can hit it at a high clip and 2Pat seems to feast on those pick and pop with Lin. I say feed the beast.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Kg shot mid range but also had great post game he used the dream shake all day and his hop step hook shot. Plus he was a great passer rebounder and defender. Kg is the most talented pf of all time IMO. Kg most certainly was NOT a jump shooting pf he could do it all. Pat on the other hand is a great backup pf period he will never be able to rebound and bang he shys from contact. If u watched the Denver game the other night there was a sequence were he got out rebounded by a Ronny brewer and pat had the inside position it was embarrassing to see.

We need a stud pf not just a stretch 4 if we ever want to become true contenders. We need a player like kg (I realize that's easier said than done) but one thing this team has is time. Theirs no need to rush and overpay for a guy who is gonna get us to the 2nd round every yr and nothing more. I don't get the fantasy of the stretch 4 on this site we can't expect to truly win consistently with this face paced 3 pt shooting team we need a half court drop it down to ur big let him do wrk and kick it out to harden and Lin on the wings to drive the lane. I'd really like to see what mchale and Dawson could do with a big man like cousins who has all the tools to be that inside presence we need he's a great passer and really big and has great skill just needs to learn how to pick his shots better and be more efficient which I think he can do with the right coaching and good team around him like ours. I think with his age and size plus his skill and possibly being able to get him for the low cause of his problems we should make him target number 1.

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Always...[​IMG]

8. andersongo

andersongo Member

True, KG has the best offensive skill set a PF ever had. If Mc Hale could somehow convince the great man to come to Houston if only for a one year rental before he gets fired, then all his dumb rotations and tactics will be forgiven.
    But the mid range jumper is still KG's bread and butter and 2Pat seems to be proficient at it and is finally providing some production out of the 4 position. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 2Pat is KG (LOL) or that a bruising PF that provides an option down low and that can put opposing PFs on their @ss is not the way to go. It's just that there isn't such a specimen available (Cousins is a headcase that will be a bad fit on this young team. He needs strong veteran presence.) at this moment in time.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patrick Patterson average 10 rebounds? I would be AMAZED If he one day averaged 8...

10. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Thanks again Maury

[​IMG]

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

But...but...we won the Stats!? :(

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Big Dick making me look good!

13. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Anthony Randolph at the 4......Larry Sanders at the 5

14. andersongo

andersongo Member

You have got a nice 2Pat bandwagon going.....Count me in.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the Rockets should find a way to pry Taj Gibson from Chicago. Boozer's got a couple more years at big money. The Bulls are just a hair below the luxury tax. We need Gibson's defense and rebounding. I'm tired of getting abused every night in the paint like a housewife with no self-esteem.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

The problem is there is a domino effect of Lin being unable to shoot the three ball. The Rockets play a penetrate and dish style of offense, so you ideally want to have two other guys (besides the slasher) on the perimeter who can shoot the three ball.

So because we have a PG who can't hit that outside shot, we need to find that ability elsewhere--from the 4 spot.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Lin and I think he might be able to learn that 3P shot with time and practice. But still, that's the situation as I see it.

Of course, in a perfect world Lin would be able to hit the three ball and so would the PF while also being able to play strong defense on the other end. In a perfect world...

17. gengar

gengar Member

Serge Ibaka in Rockets uniform would make me so happy

18. gengar

gengar Member

or Blake Griffin.

19. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I agree. I always like what I see from Ilyasova.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Bosh, Nowitzki, Garnett, Duncan, Wallace all = 'stretch 4s'. When the Spurs offence is running Duncan in the post, they put Bonner at C (or at PF as the 'stretch 4')

So Gasol/Bynum is the definition of your argument... Basically you're saying that if you get 2 all-star 7 footers who are 2-way threats, and combine them with a hall of fame 2, then you can achieve success.

Wow, great observation :rolleyes: