1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive depth in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Mar 18, 2019.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

PJ has defended KD pretty well in their past few meetings.

I'm sure he will be the main one v one defender, but with our switch everything defense he'll probably get his fair share of Klay and Draymond covers as well.

Ziggy likes this.
  2. SemisolidSnake

Is Shumpert a good perimeter defender? I legitimately don't know. Haven't seen enough of him. If so, then he seems to fit the role of "no offense but we'll accept that" Ariza, although he won't be starting in all likelihood.

3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Take Clark out of there. He wont play to be a factor in the playoffs. To risky when u have established vets u trust more.

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol u have to discount luc...he didnt play so how can u list him. N green doesnt belong on that list for sure.

5. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Green and Faried are not good perimeter defenders. Green frequently gets lit up, despite his passion. He can get a few blocks here and there though. Faried just seems lost at times out there.

Nor is Harden a good perimeter defender, who is good in the post only ... Him leading the league in deflections is commendable but I feel that they come primarily him playing the passing lanes well when he gambles, and him stripping the ball from bigs as they go into their gather. He does sometimes strip the ball from the guy who blows by him from time to time by it comes at a cost of him getting blown by pretty consistently.

We have more potential overall depth with the number of flexible players this year then last year, but no way is any one of our replacement players as good on d as Ariza/Luc, mainly due to their height being 3-4 inches shorter. I think if we had an ariza replacement (some 6'7 3&D guy), in place of say, shumpert (who hasn't really locked anyone tbh), then we'd be overall a better perimeter defensive team.

HP3 likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

Off topic and I know he was injured for the PO. But I still dont think people realize how good Luc was for us.

Relativist likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly have no recollection of Black's defense. My guess is if it was good, he would be in the NBA because his offensive game was acceptable.

Faried and Anderson are same to me except for the fact that Faried recovers 5-10% of the time with more deflections and rebounds (which do not equate to defense, but definitely help a little). On a perimeter PnR where they are targeted, no difference between these guys. I have no doubt Warriors will do same to him as they did to Anderson.