1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Decoding facial hair in the Arab world

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 25, 2014.

1. g1184

g1184 Member

Tremble in fear:

[​IMG]

2. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

If they could grow a beard rape wouldn't be a problem, but I hear it's forbidden by Islam.

3. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

This thread has made me realize the threat of ISIS in Houston is real.

[​IMG]

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Just when you thought ATW couldn't get more ridiculous, he proves you wrong.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I will be growing a beard for Movember... do I have to join ISIS for November?

Honestly, if you are trying to make a serious point with your numerous postings, by becoming caricature-like I suspect most people simply shake their heads nowadays...

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Actually you can tell how oppressed and submissive a woman is by the level of burka she is wearing.

7. downbytheriver

I absolutely feel uneasy and find it looks disgusting and unhygienic. Women agree with me. Terrorist beards also have a tangled, messy look. Whereas the homeless guy who hasn't shaven in 6 months actually has an appealing beard(like the non ISIS beards posted in this thread).

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

brings new meaning to this:

[​IMG]

"FEAR THE BEARD"

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Come on, man. Time to take a break from national / world news because this is a little much.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I read an article a year or two ago written by a very secular author in the US who was a child of non-religious Egyptians. He had a hipster beard, recounted meeting his parents friends, who all assumed his hipster beard meant he was ultra-religious, and so they were all extremely standoffish. He didn't figure it out until discussing it with his parents.

People do make assumptions about you on the basis of your appearance. Probably more of an issue in this case if you have a darker complexion. If you are a white dude with a funky unkempt beard, I think people just assume you are a hipster d-bag instead.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ottomaton, I believe the article you are referring to is the one I posted in the OP. I stumbled upon that article and thought I would share it with some of our D&D regulars ;). The reactions were exactly as predicted, and by the exact people they were expected from :p.

12. downbytheriver

Interesting- I take it you have a tagging system in place? Mind sharing the list with me so we can corroborate info?

1 person likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Do you have some type of mental problem?

14. trustme

trustme Member

Wait wait wait wait

Santa clause is a member of ISIS?

ATW needs to see a psychiatrist.

15. trustme

trustme Member

Do you have some type of xenophobia?

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Always knew James Harden was a terrorist

17. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Y'all getting trolled. Surely ATW isn't this idiotic to actually believe this crap he spews.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Please hurry and get to the Ys in your dictionary.... :grin:

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Haven't read anything but the OP. Obviously the beard does not carry the same meaning across 20 countries, dozens of religions, several races and hundreds of millions of people as the OP suggests. There is a word which aptly describes that kind of general suggestion.

It means absolutely nothing anymore because it has re-emerged as a cultural symbol in some areas, as a fashion statement in others, and Islamic in others. Beards are historically significant in the region, even in the Mediterranean, and this tradition, like prayer beads and gahfiyas, has been exported to Muslimized countries around the world such as Indonesia and Iran. In other applications in the UAE and Bahrain for example, men are grooming their beards because it attracts non-Arab women.

Further, terrorists are encouraged not to keep beards because (a) they know easily fooled people like ATW exist and (b) it's so 2013.

Bikers and truck drivers on the other hand remain committed to the look, despite the xenophobic looks they endure.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Keep telling yourself that.