1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Debbie Downer) How Much Do We Really Over-Rate the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 6, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He was a fricken ROOKIE...lol

Again, you are looking back, was Wade thought of as great when he won it? What about Kobe when he won his first title, he was like 22 years old....was he considered great then?

I think it is easy to look back and say....so and so was great....but if you dig deeper it is more than just the one team you cite....it is hindsight.

DD

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

who finished 5th in MVP voting and was first team all NBA.

Kobe's first title was 2000. He finished 12th in MVP voting that year while playing second fiddle as a 22 year old to Shaq. He was 2nd team all NBA at that point. At 22 years old.

Wade is a better argument..and he was the one I would have said if I were arguing this the other way. But even he finished 8th and 6th in MVP voting before he won a ring. He was 2nd team all nba both years leading into the championship.

Using these guys as comparisons to Kevin Martin? Or Aaron Brooks? That's like saying Hakeem is like Yao in that they're both injury-prone. Neither guy has scratched the surface of an all-NBA squad. They're borderline All Stars at this stage of their careers.

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

DD- you just lost alot of BB cred'

Aaron Brooks is a very good player but he will not ever be in the roll call of NBA greatness.

I would say Budinger has a good chance to develop and contribute but I don't even see him with one all star team invite during his career.

And Martin is like a younger Richard Jefferson, a talented player who we will all remember but not get all giddy over.

Greatness= the top 100 players of all time.

4. rhester

Let's have a Rockets love fest in reality- They are the best team in the NBA because they are our Houston Rockets. They are not title contenders this season.

Who are they?

They are rebuilding their roster after the failed Yao/TMac/Van Gundy era.

TMac and Van Gundy are gone, Yao is recovering from surgery and trying to play in a system that doesn't fit his best strengths.

I sure hope we make the playoffs. That is realistic in my opinion.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely! i'm going Sunday night. can't wait! can't wait for pre-game introduction. can't wait to cheer them on, even if it is only preseason.

but i don't have to pretend their a championship caliber team to get behind them. hell, i followed the 'stros all season long...still had a blast going to MMP. they're mine whether they sink or swim.

6. rhester

I'm not repping you, all your green dots make my eyes blur. :)

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

How can u guys not have faith in the rockets? Brooks just won most improved player and we have one of the most efficient scorers in the league. We have hard working hustle guys like scola Hayes and Shane. Not to mention a chanc Yao will get back to good form. Sounds like a team with a chance to me

8. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Okay, and you don't think that this team is better than that of 2 years ago? Not to mention, all of the Lakers are 2 years older? We took the Lakers to 7 games with Chuck Hayes as our center. While Yao may not be at his top form,
    Yao/Hill/Miller is alot better than Hayes/Hill.
    PG? Brooks just won MIP and Lowry continues to improve?
    SF/SG- Upgraded slightly from artest with lee, added kevin martin, battier still a good defender
    PF - Scola would have won MVP in the FIBA if KD wasnt there. No Landry, but Hill is making us believers.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You accepts mediocrity that's why Rockets be mediocre. Jerome Solomon no accepts mediocre.

10. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

a lot that is why we are fans (short for fanatic)but could you see wasting this much time for the clippers who never won anything (sterling suxs and should not be an n.b.a. owner)

11. DaDakota

Yeah, uh, what exactly does that get me? An entry into heaven?

ROFLMAO...

My point was that we have a lot of good young players, and who knows if any of them will become great.

DD

12. RocketMania1991

To think I took a lot of flak for posting this thread and here we are sitting at 0-4.

The truth really does hurt.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It really wasn't necessary to dig this back up. Regardless of whether you predicted it correctly, you're just being a douche.

14. RocketMania1991

Being a douche?

If telling the truth is being a douche then so be it.

I sure got alot of "douche" remarks for making this thread.

And I'd say this thread is just as relevant today as it was a month ago.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why is this some new incredible insight? Am I and a handful of others the only ones who knew this all along?

C'mon, we need a guy like melo to be a contender, and a bit of luck health wise.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I honestly don't think we're overrate anything. If Yao is not allowed to play his normal minutes, it's hard to rate anything. If Yao play his normal minutes and we still lose...then we're definitely overrated something.

17. DaDakota

I overated how they would fit together, and I overated the coaching staff's ability to figure out who to sit.

I did not overate any of the players.

DD

18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Adelman's pulled this crap every year he's been here, struggling to find the rotation a month into the season. The rotation should be set coming out of training camp.

I feel like I overestimate his coaching ability every year.