1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Debating Us Israel Relations & Frequent Charges of Anti-Semitism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, May 8, 2006.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Gwayneco, given your xenophobia, I'm not sure whether you are kidding or not.

2. glynch

i subscribe to the multi causal theory. See my posts. I guess you would view that as not "consistent". ;)

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have seen those theories espoused before. I haven't seen them espoused in this thread. I'm not sure why you brought it up.

4. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

Anyone who thinks it is possible to have an honest debate in the US about Israeli policies is not paying attention. If you believe that, I ask you to think about this: most of us do love our little country but we all criticize it harshly at times, do you believe that we can use the same harsh criticism that we use against our own country as we do against Israel? NO WAY. And why not? Why can't we have honest criticism in public and in the media? It doesn't have to be anti-Semitic; it doesn't have to mean we wish to abandon Israel as an ally. Can you even imagine Israel getting the kind of negative press that France got because they didn't join the "collation of the willing"? Would never happen and should make people ask why.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Nope - but how do you rectify Mearsheimer and Walt's conclusions with you own? Or do you find their conclusions interesting for discussion but not definitive (nothing wrong with that)?

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Because we didn't ask them to join the coalition of the willing?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Israeli troops were not wanted by the U.S. in Iraq. They did support the overthrow and invasion, though. France and Israel were two very different situations in regard to the war in Iraq.

8. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

I guess my post was confusing. I was making the example that France didn't join our little collation and they were attacked in the press, people boycotted French products blah, blah blah.

But if Israel did something that we felt slighted by there would never be any such backlash. Ask yourself why that is?

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Because everyone hates the French? We didn't boycott or protest Russian or German or Chinese goods either and they also sought to block the intervention in Iraq.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yeah but them French....they smell funny! :D

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I love how the French are bashed here in Texas, when they were one of only five countries to recognize The Republic of Texas as a sovereign state.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You won't see them bashed by me, unless the bloody Frogs were askin' for it. ;)

Keep D&D Civil.

13. glynch

As to the reasons for the Iraq debacle. Well we have Bush. I would not be surprised that while snorting some coke and pissed off at ol dad who was giving him crap for being a screw up he decided that if he ever became president he would take out Sadam just to show ol dad. Never know what his motivation was. Maybe he heard a snippet about Sadam on his car radio on the way to a party. Some of his dads buds and the Bush family made a bundle off of Kuwaiti oil after Gulf War I, so Dubya might just have viewed it a typical Bush-Carlysle using government for profit scheme. Just he started office detemined to do it.

Now as to the grownups around Dubya who I assume had enough control over him to prevent this-- just like now many are trying to "walk him back from nukig Iran". Some of them are Israel firsters. Some are pretty flexible oil/ money guys like Cheney who campaigned to remove the sanctions against Sadam when as CEO of Halliburton, the sanctions were putting a cramp in his stock options. You also have the paranoid "peace through strength" nutters, who are always seeing Hitlers and Stalin level threats everywhere.

I do think the Israel firsters (actually just the right wing nutty Likud types)played a role. I could perhaps be convinced by Mearsheimer. As he says, it is tough to tease out how determinant the Likud firsters were.

14. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

The Frogs haven't done anything right since the 19th Century.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think anytime a whole group is bashed ignorance is probably at foot.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I hope stating the fact that IDF soldiers gang-raping palestinian girls or killing an innocent 12 year old palestinan girl des not Automaticly make you's truly a "Anti-Semitism".howbout the disgracefull killing of innocent by-standards in the name of target assasination of terrorist figures?.. granted hammas is no better, but they get hammared by the mainstream media for it. but god-forbid you say anything about the IDF.

17. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

From what I've heard of Israel there is more open and public criticism of the Israeli government by Israelis than in the US.

20. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I was advocating we change the name of Hamburgers to Liberty Patties and Belgian Waffles to Bush Grids.