1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Debate and Discuss: Greatest player in history of each team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LCAhmed, Dec 5, 2012.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

That's pretty awesome how similar our lists are! And this has about 3-4 years gap inbetween

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I also went with Frazier over Ewing for all-time greatest Knick.

Anyone agree with that, or am I way off?

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd say alex english for the nuggets

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I didnt have the opportunity to watch Frazier play, only seen highlights. Ewing was THE guy that I always liked watching play against Hakeem. So I put him maybe higher than I should? He did take them to the Finals against the Rockets though.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Pacers: George McGinnis or Mel Daniels. Miller is 3rd or 4th, along with Roger Brown.

Suns: I'd say Nash at this point over Chuck.

Nuggets: Alex English or David Thompson. Melo shouldn't even be in their top 5.

Blazers: Bill Walton over Glide.

Nets: Dr. J over Kidd

Knicks: has to be one of the 70s guys... Willis Reed probably, then Walt Frazier.

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Yes, KAJ was the greatest for Bucks (won one chip) but when he went to Lakers, he couldn't do anything, not until Magic joined the Laker and made them instant champs.

If Morey thought CP3 is the greatest PG of all time, he probably was too young to remember how great Magic was. That's not even debatable. Magic is the greatest PG of all time. Not only that, tell me which PG in the history of NBA can play Center and scored 50 points in a Final??

The last time Knicks won a championship, it was with Frazier. My very first NBA I watched as a little kid was the 72 Final between Lakers and Knicks. We had to go to a local theatre to watch the paid televised game. I remember vaguely that Frazier wasn't as impactful player as West. Nor was he the bigger franchise player as Ewing. If you ask Knicks fans this question, 9/10 will tell you it's Ewing.

#46 kuku, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Agree on the Blazers. When Blazers had Bill Walton, they were UNBEATABLE! If not for injuries, Blazers couldve won more than one championship in their franchise history! Walton was KAJ biggest nightmare.

Walton wasn't that talented center but he was 110% pure hussle.

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Was thinking that myself.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't know. Kareem was dominant vs. Walton individually. Walton had more talent around him, though.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

couple adjustments made up top...

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

surely you cant be serious

[​IMG]

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Gervin over Duncan?... i disagree.

13. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Both were John Wooden's golden boys. IIRC Kareem had an MVP year but Lakers were swept by Blazers in CF. Can't really recall the individual matchup between them two but Lakers never played well against Blazers when Walton was healthy.

Iceman had one of the oddest shooting forms and a scoring machine, but still, Duncan is the greatest of Spur.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Yep, but Walton had a much more talented team. The Lakers were basically a one man team with a bunch of role players, while Walton had Mo Lucas and a couple marginal All Star caliber guys. For that series, Kareem was at 30-16, 4 assists, 4 blocks, 61% FG vs. Walton's 19-15-6-2 51%. Kareem was double-triple teamed, had little support, and still, those games were very close because he was so dominant.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Right, most people discount 1986, so viewed Hakeem as 4 first round exits in a row, followed my missing the playoffs, and no one was calling him great, until he reached the mountain (largely by himself). And still few say he was even top 3 center of all time. He is not a good comparison to me saying Kareem is overrated by people who call him the best or 2nd best center of all time.

I said Kareem might be the only player to win an MVP in the same year he failed to make the playoffs. Who the hell gets an MVP without making the playoffs anymore? That is almost the definition of overrated.

Not winning a title is fine, but he failed worse than that in the playoffs. Failing to make it twice in his prime and getting dusted a lot is different than me saying he didn't get a title with the Lakers without Magic.

The Lakers had no success with Kareem until Magic. I didn't say he didn't put up big numbers. And his last year in Milwaukee was a playoff no-show too. He went about 6 years in the 70s achieving nothing in the playoffs. There is no reason to think the Lakers would have done anything until Magic arrived...and then voila, instant championship.

The movie Airport told us this.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Kareem got swept by Walton. Not sure if score matters if you get beat 4-0.

Should we give Kareem MVP of the Western Conf Finals vs Walton, for having the best stats? :p

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Totally agree! Actually Lakers, with Magic, did well WITHOUT Kareem. Just have Magic play Center!

No one had the drive to win like Magic (or MJ). You have to watch this one to truly understand about Magic Johnson and Bird rivalry. Long ass vid but definitely worth watching!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtykEHPRO1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's not what we are talking about. My point is that "Walton was Kareem's biggest nightmare" is misleading. The Blazers maybe -- that one year --- but not Walton. Kareem dominated Walton who got bailed out by multiple all star teammates. Then Walton got injured before Kareem got good teammates.
    It'd be similar to saying that Pau Gasol was Dwight Howard's biggest nightmare because of the 09 finals.

19. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I'm trying to remember who it was on BSPN today but he was also describing Kobe as the greatest Laker of all-time. He also described Kobe as having the greatest post moves, and best mid-range game of anyone. Followed by saying in the later years of his career became a premier knockdown 3-point shooter. My head nearly exploded.

20. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Just to clarify, it wasn't greatest post moves, it was greatest post footwork of anyone.